Wiki Posts
Search

how do i get rid of bottom end on losi 8ight buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default how do i get rid of bottom end on losi 8ight buggy

i am running a losi 8ight 2.0 and i am a fairly new driver, I find my self spinning my tires out of control sometimes. I am running a nitrotec r21 engine with a jp3 pipe and 2 gold springs with aluminum and 2 green springs with composite. I am also running a 13t clutch bell.

what can i do to get a little bit smoother acceleration so that i dont spin tires as easily but i am still able to make big jumps. I know that once i begin to get better throttle control, it will become easier but i would like to set up my car to suit my current driving skills. any help would be great.

Should i get a 14t clutch bell?
should i change spring set ups?
thanks for any advice
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm assuming that you are running the alum. flywheel. Switch to the steel flywheel, that will help out a lot.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I already switched to the steel flywheel. still spinning tires, do the spings make a big difference. i like my punch but i just dont want my tires to spin out as much when im slow or stopped and try to accelerate faster.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Steel flywheel will help some. Also may want to set exponential. Your steering could be the culprit. If you're using a Spektrum try going plus 20%. This well get rid of how fast your wheels turn during the 1st 20% of travel. Also mess with the throttle expo as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

set some expo on your radio..like 25-30%, try a larger restrictor, softer clutch springs (altough this wont make a huge dif), larger clutchbell/smaller spur gear.....or you could just put your "fat" trigger finger on a diet also, make sure to use the correct tyres for a giver surface...this probably makes the biggest difference, you could also try lighter diff oils...but not too light
Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to have the same problem my first year racing. Besides what they all said. The biggest thing you can do is run your engine a little on the fat side make sure when you pull the carb it only opens up 80% of the way and try running a 14t end bell will help take bottom end out. But the MOST important thing is just ease off the throttle. Slow is fast. Stop caring about other drivers and stop trying to set your car up. Learn to drive for 5 min or more with out hitting pipes and wrecking. Stay in the groove and ease off that throttle. even if you just roll every jump for now you'll gain.

Yes you will use more fuel but learning to drive " throttle control" first and then in a couple months lean it out!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just some ideas:
  • Tires
  • Diff oils 5f, 5c, 3r
  • Suspension bound up? If yes get a reamer or drill bit and free things up.
  • Ride Height 30mm rear, 29 front
  • Is it a brand new car? If yes keep driving, it will get better.
  • Lengthen rear camber link.

I am never a fan of tuning the low end out, if anything run a small restrictor like 6mm. Then run the top slightly fat. Carb slide should open all the way but have a little slack.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdtwenty6
i am running a losi 8ight 2.0 and i am a fairly new driver, I find my self spinning my tires out of control sometimes. I am running a nitrotec r21 engine with a jp3 pipe and 2 gold springs with aluminum and 2 green springs with composite. I am also running a 13t clutch bell.

what can i do to get a little bit smoother acceleration so that i dont spin tires as easily but i am still able to make big jumps. I know that once i begin to get better throttle control, it will become easier but i would like to set up my car to suit my current driving skills. any help would be great.

Should i get a 14t clutch bell?
should i change spring set ups?
thanks for any advice

I have a heavy finger and running a Bullitt does not help. To help this I am running 14t with 4 carbon shoes all gold. Way easier to drive and the shoes last forever. If its to much
run gold and green but this helped out a lot.