Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Sprint 2 Mods >

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do have any video of the car running around a track yet?It would really cool to see it on action,running with other cars .

best voodoo.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Down in Mesa AZ for the Winter and took my S2 to the local Hobbytown parking lot race last Thursday. It's the first time I have run since changing out all the steering components for RPM's and playing with front and rear springs and setting the suspension for slippery tracks. Just ran oval Vintage class on a sticky track and did really well. Car handled well first race. Handled well in second race till a Nomad bodied S2 stopped in front of me across the track. I t-boned him really hard. Wish I had a picture before he pulled the body back out. One of the worst looking accidents I had ever seen. Didn't realize it at the time but this broke the right front shock off at the bottom of my car. Kept hearing something dragging and seeing sparks in the corners but honestly it still made it around the course for the rest of the race. Guess this thing don't need no stinkin shocks.

These are tough cars and lots of fun.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just got a bone stock S2D with that black Camaro body. I plan on using it for drifting and not VTA. What do you recommend I do if I have roughly $40 to spend?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Another Sprint 2 owner

I started carpet racing this year with our local club. We have a sportsman division that is run what you brung 10th scale. We have found that the Sprint 2 is a great entry level car. Some guys leave them with the RTR motors and controllers in and other set them up to move into other classes. I have set mine up to 17.5 sedan specs. I’ve added the Tamiya TRF shocks (flourine coated) with the spring kit. I then added a 17.5 brushless, upgraded the controller and added the woven graphite chassis as well. I had the same steering issues as everyone else but took a little different approach to tighten it up and I thought I’d share it. I took a throttle return spring off of a Savage X and cut it down a few loops. I attached the steering turnbuckles in the outside holes of the steering cranks and hooked the spring between the two inner holes. It tightened it up and tracks nicely. I would of posted pictures but I don't have enough posts.

Give these links a try. Copy them into your browser.

i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/marvjacobs/spring1_zpsf0ac8963.jpg
i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/marvjacobs/Spring2_zpsa9266752.jpg

Last edited by Aught-Six; 12-13-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3jp
Do have any video of the car running around a track yet?It would really cool to see it on action,running with other cars.
best voodoo.

Good grief no!

The only time it comes close to actually running with other cars is when the starting horn sounds and during the them passing me segments of the race...

My skills are improving (gradually), I didn't break anything this time and I did experience not coming in dead last this past Friday night in the B Main.

Originally Posted by Velineon
I just got a bone stock S2D with that black Camaro body. I plan on using it for drifting and not VTA. What do you recommend I do if I have roughly $40 to spend?

Someone else will have to field this one - I don't drift.
Not intentionally, anyway.
But I would imagine tightening the steering would benefit you.

A rear belt tensioner will save you time and $ in the long run.
And you might consider using the kevlar belts from Tough Racing.com

Originally Posted by Aught-Six
I started carpet racing this year with our local club. We have a sportsman division that is run what you brung 10th scale.
We have found that the Sprint 2 is a great entry level car.
Some guys leave them with the RTR motors and controllers in and other set them up to move into other classes.
I have set mine up to 17.5 sedan specs.
I’ve added the Tamiya TRF shocks (flourine coated) with the spring kit.
I then added a 17.5 brushless, upgraded the controller and added the woven graphite chassis as well.
I had the same steering issues as everyone else but took a little different approach to tighten it up and I thought I’d share it.
I took a throttle return spring off of a Savage X and cut it down a few loops.
I attached the steering turnbuckles in the outside holes of the steering cranks and hooked the spring between the two inner holes.
It tightened it up and tracks nicely.

Great info and voodoo!!!

I especially like that spring voodoo of yours.
I have a bit of slop that escapes correcting right were you have that spring.
Thanks for posting that!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

How much run time did you get when it was new?
My TRX Slash 4x4 will run for a half hour.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

RC Car Handling Guide

This setup guide assumes you have some sort of 'standard setup' to begin with.
One should come with your kit.
You can also find standard setups on manufacturers' websites.
It also assumes your car is in perfect working order. (Bearings spinning freely, nothing dragging the ground, no binding in the suspension,...)

RC Car Handling Touring Car Setup Guide.pdf

Last edited by Marv; 12-15-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Sprint 2 race

Originally Posted by tc3jp
Do have any video of the car running around a track yet?It would really cool to see it on action,running with other cars .

best voodoo.
This is a race of our sportsman division, most of the cars in this class are Sprint 2 with new drivers. paste it in your browser with the 3w's at the beginning. Enjoy!

youtube.com/watch?v=7c0IQBJTv3E
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for sharing!
After you get 10 posts (I think) then you're permitted to use links, pic and vids.

Originally Posted by Aught-Six
This is a race of our sportsman division, most of the cars in this class are Sprint 2 with new drivers. Enjoy!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

What are you using for a floor cover?
Do you roll it out each time you race?

I ask because were I'm racing locally is a school gym as well, but we race on the bare floor = textured vinyl cushion floor.

And what's with the "squat/pick up the controller" start you use in your VTA?
I've not seen that done before.
But then again, I don't get out much...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Marv
Thanks for sharing!
After you get 10 posts (I think) then you're permitted to use links, pic and vids.

What are you using for a floor cover?
Do you roll it out each time you race?

I ask because were I'm racing locally is a school gym as well, but we race on the bare floor = textured vinyl cushion floor.

And what's with the "squat/pick up the controller" start you use in your VTA?
I've not seen that done before.
But then again, I don't get out much...

+ YouTube Video
Our local race director went out and bought 4 rolls of carpet, not sure what kind it is but it cost about $4000. He made enough in one season to buy the carpet. We have about 5 guys that get their early and roll out the carpet and set up the track, they race for free that night.

We used to have the VTA guys stand on the backstretch and run to the driver's stand to start the VTA, but that was a little hard on the older guys. We do the squat thing in VTA to kinda of simulate a Leman's style start. If you notice we have all the cars lined up against the wall at a 45 degree angle also. It's just something we started that has stuck with our group.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default R/C Vehicle Speed Calculator

R/C Vehicle Speed Calculator
Old 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marv
Thanks. Some interesting information. Love the shock oil mixing calculator. Should save on buying a bunch of different weight oil.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is the latest of where i am at with my car

My chassis was not only tweaked, but it was actually bulging from the center, so i shopped around, was curious about your aluminum chassis Marv, but then i found the Exotek chassis.

http://www.exotekracing.com/sprint-spx-pro-chassis-set/

I haven't tried the car yet (friday is my first test), but already the car is MUCH stiffer, and straighter.

There are shims everywhere, i rebuilt the diffs like on this thread, i rebuilt the car from the ground up, i even had to grind out the plastic piece infront of the motor so i can fit my brushless motor, the tabs were rubbing on the frame.

Also - Marv, for the steering, i grinded down the front c-cups a little, but i actually grinded down the 2 steering hubs. I used a 1/8" bit on my dremmel and removed enough so i can do a full lock on my steering now.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Default Steering Center Slop -

Aught-Six I used your spring voodoo and it works GREAT!

Tightened up that one side like a frigid prom date.

Only differences are I used a different make of return spring (tweaked it a bit) and used shortened button head screws to mount it.

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4546.jpg HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4547.jpg

TRA4046 (spring)
LOSA6229 (4-40 x 3/8 button head screws - shortened for flush fit).

Thanks again Aught-Six for posting!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting. Guy in the LHS said people were doing this with rubber bands. This solution looks more preferable and predictable to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.