Wiki Posts
Search

Bearings in bulk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bearings in bulk?

Hey guys, myself and a few buds all run Mugen and hence use the same bearings. Does anyone know a place we can buy them at a bulk discount? We are thinking at least 100 in total but probably more. It's not so much a money thing but convenience. Any info is appreciated. :
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

http://www.avidrc.com/
Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Gee thanks. I know a ton of places I can buy bearings.

Im looking for somewhere that maybe would give a discount for ordering 100+ maybe even 200 bearings. Like I said its not that Im worried about the money so much but I figure hey if a few of us chip in on a big order and we get them for .75 each rather then $1.00 great!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:06 AM
am
Tech Master

200 bearings is not alot. It is what i used to order just to myself.

Send an email til Peter Martin at TKO and ask him what he can do for you, he is a nice guy :-)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Last summer I looked into it a bit. In order to get a discount that is noticeable you will need to order a thousand bearings. The best thing I can tell ya is to hit up avid, boca, tko and see if they will hook you up.

But 100 is a lot of bearings for bulk buy for you cars. I didnt use that many all of last year running two classes almost every weekend, I went through 16 sets of clutch bearings 14 hub bearings and 2 full sets, one for each. And I will say, I changed a few of the clutch bearings before they were bad.

All those bearings cost me around 80 bucks.

Remember before you go and buy some cheap bearings in bulk, that they cars abuse them. You want a good deal, not just cheap bearings. the thing with bulk like that is, you can order 100 and if they suck, then you have a alot of bad bearings.. not uncommon..

Last edited by token; 05-17-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I agree

Like token said, you may end up with a bunch of crappy bearings. The last order I made from Avid were terrible. The clutchbell bearings did not fit on the crank. too big and wobbled on the crank. The wheel bearings the 8x16x5 were terrible. They felt gritty after one race day. I took the shield off one of them and the grease was still clear, but the balls were so small and cheap they were gone. What a waste of money....
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Check out advantage Racing they have free shipping and specials if you want a bulk purchase I can see what I can do send me a list
Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys. I know what you mean. Last year I got some clutch bearings that were so out of spec that one would be loose on the crank and the next wouldn't even go on. Like I said its not so much a money thing, just figure if we are gonna order a bunch why not look for a discount. I'm thinking 3-4 full sets at least for 2 truggys and 2 buggys plus a bunch of clutch bearings. I've been running mugen for a while and don't plan on changing so carry over for next year isn't a problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Unfortunately, 100 to 200 is not much of a bulk buy. I tried this before myself. If I remember correctly, Koyo Seiko was the easiest to get a hold of and work with, but they still required at least 10 times as big an order as I wanted.

Oh, and buy a buttload of the TKO "Special" 5x10's for the clutch. I'm getting 2+ gallons out of them.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Tom, drop me a line and I'll see what we can do.

Like they said, in the grand scheme of things, 100 is not a HUGE amount -- our typical order is 30 bearings. That said, we can probably come up with something.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by merdith6
Like token said, you may end up with a bunch of crappy bearings. The last order I made from Avid were terrible. The clutchbell bearings did not fit on the crank. too big and wobbled on the crank. The wheel bearings the 8x16x5 were terrible. They felt gritty after one race day. I took the shield off one of them and the grease was still clear, but the balls were so small and cheap they were gone. What a waste of money....
MD and anyone else - All of Avid products are 100% guaranteed and always have been, you have been refunded your $49.80. When we had emails back and forth about this, you had not run the bearings yet and the email went personal with arguing (Meredith and I have known one another in Houston for over 20 years). We never heard from you again to provide you with our customer service. We did explain why you don't want a very tight fit on the crankshaft from the clutch bell bearing. If our clutch bell bearing doesn't last well over a gallon with no maintenance then there is something wrong else where. You also run at some of the most brutal tracks where cars rust the next day if you don't clean it because the water is taken from the salty water and Ultimate is not easy on bearings either.

Bearings always seem to take the first blame because they are the most inexpensive part on the car. We don't believe in the mantra that you get what you pay for here Avid. I could have easily started this company starting the sell of bearings at $3 because that would have been a steal compared to the $6-7 price for bearings in the shop then which you had to cross your fingers if you made a 30 minute main without a clutch bearing failure. Since I was starting the company out of a closet, knew how to program, do webdesign, advertising, and server admin, I didn't have to pay anyone to anything for us and wanted to help racers while making just enough to cover plane flights to events. And here we are now manufacturing products... Thank you all for this.

We can't scan the forums all the time to provide support so please always feel free to email us at [email protected] for any questions or if anything isn't working the way you would expect.

Thank you,

David Joor
Avid Racing Concepts
2010 IFMAR World Champion
40+ NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 2003-12
http://www.AvidRC.com
Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Joor
MD and anyone else - All of Avid products are 100% guaranteed and always have been, you have been refunded your $49.80. When we had emails back and forth about this, you had not run the bearings yet and the email went personal with arguing (Meredith and I have known one another in Houston for over 20 years). We never heard from you again to provide you with our customer service. We did explain why you don't want a very tight fit on the crankshaft from the clutch bell bearing. If our clutch bell bearing doesn't last well over a gallon with no maintenance then there is something wrong else where. You also run at some of the most brutal tracks where cars rust the next day if you don't clean it because the water is taken from the salty water and Ultimate is not easy on bearings either.

Bearings always seem to take the first blame because they are the most inexpensive part on the car. We don't believe in the mantra that you get what you pay for here Avid. I could have easily started this company starting the sell of bearings at $3 because that would have been a steal compared to the $6-7 price for bearings in the shop then which you had to cross your fingers if you made a 30 minute main without a clutch bearing failure. Since I was starting the company out of a closet, knew how to program, do webdesign, advertising, and server admin, I didn't have to pay anyone to anything for us and wanted to help racers while making just enough to cover plane flights to events. And here we are now manufacturing products... Thank you all for this.

We can't scan the forums all the time to provide support so please always feel free to email us at [email protected] for any questions or if anything isn't working the way you would expect.

Thank you,

David Joor
Avid Racing Concepts
2010 IFMAR World Champion
40+ NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 2003-12
http://www.AvidRC.com

Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks

Thank you for the refund.

Last edited by merdith6; 05-17-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (97%+)

All I can say about Avid is this. I have a set of Revolutions in my EBuggy. I started running my EBuggy the beginning of Janurary. At that time, All the bearings were new Revo's. I just replaced all of them right before Rc Pro Rd2 in Louisiana a few weeks ago, Just for the heck of it. Thats over 4 months, and when I pulled them out, They were not gritty, Yet still very smooth and able to be run. Same goes for my clutch. On my practice engine, I have a set of clutch bearings that have lasted 3.5 "Gallons".
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

I have alot of avid bearings, never had a issue with any of them... I only use the Avids in my drive train and hubs. But then again, I dont try to get 9 gallons on my clutch bearings. They are replaced VERY often. Some with say I dont have to, I know I dont have to, but at a buck a pop and the peace of mind it gives me I dont mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.