Battery Building Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 04:42 AM
M.J
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Battery Building Question

Hey guys

i am building some batteries at the moment and after the glue has dried there its a white shade all over the cells.

I have tried acetone to remove it but it still leaves a faint shade?

What do i use, turps??

What do you guys do

M.J
Old 02-09-2005, 04:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: Battery Building Question

Originally posted by M.J
Hey guys

i am building some batteries at the moment and after the glue has dried there its a white shade all over the cells.

I have tried acetone to remove it but it still leaves a faint shade?

What do i use, turps??

What do you guys do

M.J
i put a small dab of shoe goo inbetween the batteries and then get a piece of strapping tape to hold the battery together. i let it dry overnight, and when the shoe goo dries, the pack is solid.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 AM
M.J
Tech Regular

I have already glued them together though.

Any way to get rid of the white shade????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by M.J
I have already glued them together though.

Any way to get rid of the white shade????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
what kind of glue did you use? i got a slight white shade but that was from the smoke from the soldering iron. it disappeared after awhile. here are some pix i took awhile go.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:15 AM
M.J
Tech Regular

I used half zap a gap and then ran out so i used selleys super glue

Anyideas on how to get rid of it

PLEASE HELP ME ??????
Old 02-09-2005, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mmmm not sure what glues you have in the US. I know here in Aus we have a glue called flash. when you have situtions like this you buy a bottle of flashback and apply it over the area and bingo-problem fixed. Zap a gap might have a zapback type of thing ?????
Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I could be wrong but I think the CA does someething to the plasti Shrink Wrap on the cells and this is what causes the discoloration... I know the Pack I just built did the same thing and 6 years ago when I built packs they did it too (looked terrible on black cells) but yah I think thats whats happening the ShoeGoo Idea sounds like something to try.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

the ca glue actually melted the shrink wrap a bit and distressed the wraping causing it to discolor there is nothing you can do except disassemble remove old wrap,put new on, and then glue with shoegoo only
Old 02-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

i would discourage you from usin ca glue because it breaks down the shrinkwrap and on some of my cells it has cracked around the glue and when the cells get hot it shrinks and gaps apear in the wrap
Old 02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default Polish Polish Polish

We normally use FenderMender or Zap-A-dappa-Goo I think thatīll be almost the same as Zap a gap or other body-repear stuff.

In my expirience the problem with CA is not that it reacts with the shrinkwrap, but it tends to leave a white shade if the gleu dries in a damp/humid room. It reacts with moisture, on a hot summers day there will be no white shade. I have had the same problem while sealing the edges of my CF chassis. Almost looked like SSG!! The only way to get rid of it was pollishing the chassis!!!! took me about half an hour.

Donīt know if youīll manage to do that to your battery pack!!!

GOOD LUCK
Old 02-09-2005, 11:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

MJ

I usually place the loose cells into the car that I'm going to be racing in. Put a small dab of shoo goo, and either tape or use the battery hold down (flipped upside down to prevent the shoo goo from sticking to the hold down). I've found this to work well, as the batteries will be conformed to the chassis, allowing them to "sit" into the battery slots.

Edit: rc411.com has an article on soldering in their "how to" section....

Last edited by RCBuddha; 02-09-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Use good solder!

If you use good solder like Kester 60/40, or deans, with a 40+ watt wide tip iron, a deans jig, and good battery bars, you shouldn't need any adhesive at all, it's just extra weight, and retains more heat, hell i can take one of my older packs that i dont use any more and throw it across the room or toss it 15 feet in the air, if you do it right they wont come apart.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Rookie

everytime this has happened to me, i have never been able to get the white stuff off. a way to hide it is to spray a little oil (wd-40) on the cells and wipe it clean. it will last for a while but it will come back. i know it sounds korny but it should work. i don't glue my cells together. this has happened on other things i've used ca on.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

I always use CA glue from Target, and I've never had any of the white shade on my batteries.
But if I use it on something made out of plastic it does.
Maybe it also have something to do with the shrinkwrap you use.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:30 PM
TCR
Tech Addict

Default Re: Polish Polish Polish

Just curious, How exactly do you polish glue on your chassis

Originally posted by Carbonator
We normally use FenderMender or Zap-A-dappa-Goo I think thatīll be almost the same as Zap a gap or other body-repear stuff.

In my expirience the problem with CA is not that it reacts with the shrinkwrap, but it tends to leave a white shade if the gleu dries in a damp/humid room. It reacts with moisture, on a hot summers day there will be no white shade. I have had the same problem while sealing the edges of my CF chassis. Almost looked like SSG!! The only way to get rid of it was pollishing the chassis!!!! took me about half an hour.

Donīt know if youīll manage to do that to your battery pack!!!

GOOD LUCK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.