How can I slow an RC down for my son?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I slow an RC down for my son?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

My son has been racing for about 4 years now. He is now 9, and getting hungry for speed!!

When I built his car, I put an OLD motor in it that ran well, but didn't have much speed to begin with. I think it was an old P2K. I geared him down about 6-8 teeth (48 pitch) from what everybody else geared and then adjusted the EPA on his throttle to about 75%.

I also set his car up VERY soft so that it handled kind of lazy, but with the slower speeds, it didn't feel bad at all.

Now he is running 100% throttle, but I keep him geared down a bit. His car is set up almost exactly like mine so that he has the correct feel to the car.

The biggest problem to solve is getting him to NOT RACE!!! I just want him to drive and improve, but he gets caught up in the competition and races too hard and hits stuff. When he is alone on the track, he does very well, but as soon as he sees another car, he starts cutting tighter corners and eventually hitting a bunch of them.

Just get him racing, and do your best to keep it fun.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Our kids have it made if you think about it, especially if us Dad's have been in this hobby since we were kids... By now we have top of the line stuff that we don't even use anymore, so who gets it? Your 5 year old.... My son gets to run a FT TC3 with a FM radio, Digital servo and all the rest of the good stuff...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Our kids have it made if you think about it, especially if us Dad's have been in this hobby since we were kids... By now we have top of the line stuff that we don't even use anymore, so who gets it? Your 5 year old.... My son gets to run a FT TC3 with a FM radio, Digital servo and all the rest of the good stuff...

Old 02-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
DADDY!!!! Where have you been!!! I am your son, really I am.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It is pretty amazing how fast they can pickup things that took me months to learn....My son is 7 and he really coming along driving his Mini-T, the key is track time...
Old 02-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ESC

Lrp Quantum Sport no reverse/ or Quantum Reverse If you need to be able to back up
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,
1st Post but this applies to why I'm in this. My son is now 18 but when we started when he was 6-7 something . I gave him really low gears and not real fast motors. We went thru lots of A-arms and anything else that could break. I might suggest a Tamiya silver can motor they are kind of sluggish compared to any stock motor. He would run me to the track any and every I would take him and some days that I didin't want to. Now he is a very good driver if dad would take him to big race he would place well.
This is the reason I've seen California, we raced the Tamiya Championship Series. Best of Luck!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This thread kinda makes me sad... my little man's only 2.... but he's alrready on his way...lol hey he already knows how to work the transmitter!! now all I need is for his hands to get a little bigger!! But my little girl is 6!!! Maybe she will be going racing with me on Saturday.... hehehehehe!!!!!

BTW: my vote goes for the XR2, it has all the necessary bells and whistles, including EPA's... and he can grow with it for quite some time.... Also think about a slow metal geared servo, this will numb down the responce, yet still have the power to keep the wheels where he wants them, the best part is it will last much longer than a standard unit... and once you replace 2-3 standard servos you could have paid for the better piece....... Also look at the Futaba MC230 speedo, it has reverse for when he's learning to drive by himself and reverse disable for when there other people around.... and it's small too...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

I actually started my oldest son at 3 with my RPM chassis'd RC10T.... My youngest son, he's only 2 months now will start out with the same truck.... The truck is absolutely indestructable.....

You don't need to get your youngin's the absolute best, unless it's a hand me down... My kids get what I don't use anymore, I could sell the stuff, but why? I'm waiting on the Nomadio and if it lives up to its claims I'm giving my 5 year old a 3PK.... I say, buy yourself the good stuff and hand it down to them.... When they can finnish first in the B Main or even make the A main start letting them look at what they want.... You can get Futaba Magnums AM or FM for cheap these days, they have the EPA and EXP controls to tame the little one's or even the big one's with the heavy finger ot twitchy wrists driving....

This is a great hobby when you have kids.... You are like the best Dad on the block... hehehehe....

BTW... To those claiming Paternity, you could be??? I lost count of my conquests when I was 20 and I'll be 35 in a couple of weeks, so if you fit into that bracket... hahahahaha....