Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

looks great, so does the VTA
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
Just finished up my own F1 paint...

First run tomorrow...
My two favorite rc classes,F1 and Vintage Trans Am; along with Group C Le Mans cars!!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
How does this new version compare to the f104 pro in terms of durabilty and handling?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Handling seems more consistent to me. I have improved since moving from F104x1 to V2.

Durability, the worst you can do on the original F104 pro was maybe tweak or break a T-plate. On the V2, the plastic side links bend or break easier, I've gone to Associated balls and links, and seems to be holding up slightly better. I've also managed to break the plastic center pivot, but it was a really, really bad crash. Overall I think the V2 is fairly tough.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for your response. I just finished reading all thepages in this thread! I'm trying to decide between a f104 pro black edition or the f104 pro II. This will be my first F1 car and will be raced on both ashalt and carpet tracks.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default f104v3

Originally Posted by golgi
Thanks for your response. I just finished reading all thepages in this thread! I'm trying to decide between a f104 pro black edition or the f104 pro II. This will be my first F1 car and will be raced on both ashalt and carpet tracks.
I was in the same situation and after spending hours reading reviews and personal opinions I decided to call Tamiya directly to ask. They said to get the V2 for the following reasons: It is a new model and parts will be available longer and it is a better design. I got the V2 and I love it. The guys at the track with other cars say that the V2 handles better.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

First run tomorrow...
Nice!!!

Cant wait to run my too.

Originally Posted by Dan
Handling seems more consistent to me. I have improved since moving from F104x1 to V2.

Durability, the worst you can do on the original F104 pro was maybe tweak or break a T-plate. On the V2, the plastic side links bend or break easier, I've gone to Associated balls and links, and seems to be holding up slightly better. I've also managed to break the plastic center pivot, but it was a really, really bad crash. Overall I think the V2 is fairly tough.
Hey dan quick q. Would it be a nice idea to put 2 solid links on the side instead of the plastics or are they supposed to flex? I have 2 small camber links that are aluminum and can mount them, just not sure if they are supposed to have give or not.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by marcosmecha
I was in the same situation and after spending hours reading reviews and personal opinions I decided to call Tamiya directly to ask. They said to get the V2 for the following reasons: It is a new model and parts will be available longer and it is a better design. I got the V2 and I love it. The guys at the track with other cars say that the V2 handles better.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, you just helped tip me over to the V2! I'll probably pick one up at local store.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm running the F104 v2 at the Tamiya Track, in Aliso Viejo. Whenever I get on the throttle, it pulls to the left for no apparent reason. It's not because I'm pulling the trigger too quickly, because I have driven it before without this problem when I'm getting on the throttle much quicker. Do you think this is a setup issue? I seem to suddenly have gotten this problem when transitioning from asphalt to carpet and then back to asphalt. Do you think this could be a setup issue? I had just replaced the links with associated ones

Last edited by WongTamiya; 12-05-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

If you put the non-diff side hub on too tight the drag in the bearings will cause it to want to pull or drift to the left. When you put the left side hub on put a piece of paper between the bearing and the spacer then tighten the hub. You want a very slight amount of play to make sure you don't bind the bearings.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ran the new V2 today for the first time. The car got better with every run today. I barely made the A but worked my way up to third at hobby Stop raceway today so I'm pretty happy with the car so far but it still needs work. Before the main i swapped out the stock rear axle for the carbon axle and the to car had more speed but it was picking up the inside rear tire so it was diffing alot coming off the corners. Is there a way to tune this out of the chassis without putting the weight back in the rear? I'm also searching for more on power steering. I was going to either go from the kit center shock spring to the black of try removing the shim from under the rear shock pivot ball that the kit calls for. Any ideas?

Paradus tyres on high bite carpet, 21.5 blinky
Kit shock oil in both shocks
pink side springs with pre load on them
kit center spring
4 mm rear ride
3.5 mm mid
3 mm front
About 2 mm droop in the pod
med front springs
2º camber, w/ toe out at about 1º
Kit steering knuckles

This week I think I'm going to try and move my battery as far forward as I can get it and and move the transponder to the rear and maybe try and fine a home for the rec. in the center of the chassis also. Over all the car seems pretty smooth and I have high hopes for it. It already seems better than my Pro that this car is replacing but I need to find atleast 0.500 a lap yet. I think there is atleast .2 or .3 just in getting the car to put the power down out of the corner instead of spinning the inside tire. Thanks for the help!

Lon
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

First run tomorrow...
Hey I know those cars!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by WongTamiya
I'm running the F104 v2 at the Tamiya Track, in Aliso Viejo. Whenever I get on the throttle, it pulls to the left for no apparent reason. It's not because I'm pulling the trigger too quickly, because I have driven it before without this problem when I'm getting on the throttle much quicker. Do you think this is a setup issue? I seem to suddenly have gotten this problem when transitioning from asphalt to carpet and then back to asphalt. Do you think this could be a setup issue? I had just replaced the balls and links with associated ones.
Your new balls and links work smoothly and freely? They shouldn't have any bind in them at all and should move with the slightest touch on them. If thats ok Check your tweak. As mentioned before also make sure your axle has a small amount of play in it also. Did you check your pod movement after changing your links? Your football might need adjusting also.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_NB...e_gdata_player

Todays A main. Audio goes away 2 min in or something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.