Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default recommendations needed

I'm new to rc drifting. I have a sprint 2 and I'm trying to decide if I want to invest a lot of time and money in Modding it to fruition or if it'd be wiser to do a ta05 v2 from scratch instead. I'm looking at the ta05 due to price and availability of parts and mods. I'm fine with working with Chinese knockoff parts and whatnot, so long as it keeps overall costs down. I definitely want to do a mid engine cs car
Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Get a 3Racing sakura zero s
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Get a 3Racing sakura zero s
+1
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

is that a mid engine design? Seems to have plenty of parts littering Ebay, and the starting price seems pretty reasonable. Are there any e-stores with better prices or is ebay the way to go?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Initiate

You guys nearly had me set on the sakura zero s until I noticed less hop ups for it than the ta05. Also finding a mid motor conversion seems out of the question. Possibly one day I'll feel comfortable trying to do a custom conversion but that day isn't today.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Initiate

well the sakura is not only good at drifting but also at racing (if you ever want to race) , it can can keep up with the new cars without any problems.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jameyfoto
You guys nearly had me set on the sakura zero s until I noticed less hop ups for it than the ta05. Also finding a mid motor conversion seems out of the question. Possibly one day I'll feel comfortable trying to do a custom conversion but that day isn't today.
Not sure why you mean by less hop ups. All of the sakura zero parts fit the s model. You can make it a full blown graphite and aluminium chassis if you want. I will try to post a pic of mine tonight.

I don't know about drifting. Never tried it but this is one nice race chassis. I'm sure with the right tires and set up it will drift just as good as anything else.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The sprint 2 will drift just fine. get the right tires and wheels and put a spool in the back and drift it. You are going to need some power, but that is true with any chassis. If you want to build a tricked TA05 just because you like the shiny bits or because your locals are using them then suit yourself, but dont go thinking that you have to have it to drift. I have seen decent drifters made from E10s and they suck at nearly everything. And yes the Sakura will make an awesome drifter, but its not needed if you already have the Sprint 2.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Firstly, what is wrong with your stock sprint2? and secondly, why are you already thinking of spending tons of bucks to buy something new when you do not already get the most out of your first car, and then, buy something that is not designed purely as a drift car.

That said, i personally think you have your priorities all wrong here. Your TODO list should look something more like this:

1. Learn to drift and get good car control.
2. Tires
3. Batteries
4. Motor and ESC
5. Servo
6. Quality drift chassis.
7. Bling

95% of drifting is car control, tires and setup, the other 5% is the gear you use. So why bother with the 5% when you have not capitalised on the 95%. Drive, have fun, compete, get to know other drifters, learn all you can, then decide, once you have become pro, what chassis you should buy. Pointless getting a counterstear chassis if you prefer 50/50. But right now, you do not have the knowledge to decide either way what is best for you, which is why you are thinking of buying something totally inappropriate in the TA05.

Also, get advice from drifters about whats good, because most of the guys here are TC drivers, not drifters, so the advice you get is going to be in a lot of respects, wrong. The Sakura is a great TC, but its not much of a drifter, for example because you cannot get enough steering angle out of it for a good counterstear setup.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I understand entirely what you're saying and I agree with you wholeheartedly about all your points. Its what idsay to anyone who wasn't me. This, however, is my first RC car ever. I want the experience of building it myself, along with solving all the problems that pop up, and understanding how it works mechanically, understanding what all these pitch things and spur things and whatnot are. I don't really learn as well reading and listening as I do having my elbows dug into the grease. That's why originally I was planning on doing slow mods to the sprint 2 but now I'm thinking that keeping it in working order without downtime will allow me to use it and learn basics from it while I spend the next 4 months building something more advanced, at which point I can hand off the easy to drive, stock, learner to my son and transition into something more advanced. This is why I got a car with a body while I fiddle with creating a far superior one, so I can use it during the learning and researching and painting/decorating period.

Trust me, if I were just going to ask some advice and then go shopping crazy I wouldst already bought the sakura. I'm enjoying taking my time, researching, reading, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thats kind of the thing, a good drifter these days does not need to be hopped up at all, you buy one, set it up and you drift it.

enRoute JXR
Yokomo DRB
Alex Racing CER D08

All come to mind here, being good competitive drifters out of the box, or with limited modification.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Thats kind of the thing, a good drifter these days does not need to be hopped up at all, you buy one, set it up and you drift it.

enRoute JXR
Yokomo DRB
Alex Racing CER D08

All come to mind here, being good competitive drifters out of the box, or with limited modification.
Its much easier to slide $600 worth or car purchases past the wife when its done $20 a shot! Besides, personalization is what separates us from the animals, except the personalization beetle.