Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever? >

Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gyros and Traction Control: Illegal Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Right now yes but if it's allowed we will have a runaway development phase where new and better (and more expensive) stuff is coming along every week. It will be boosted all over again (which I love boosted but is nearly universally hated).
I think you have this backwards, when a new product comes out or a new technology is developed it goes through a rapid development phase at the beginning but quickly reaches a plato with very small incremental improvements. A little regulation or not being legal at events at first works well to keep costs down during this period.

Boosted was exactly the same, 3 months of rapid development regular software updates which then plateaued and there have been no further improvement in performance 5 years plus down the track.

PS boosted is very popular (today and has been since its introduction) in the UK, Europe and Asia.

Back to AVC the technology in this case is nothing new it has been around for 20 years but it has in the last few years become a lot cheaper. To some extent the technology development phase and price reduction has already taking place thanks to rc flight.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nexxus
I read on some website (I think it was bigsquid?) where they tested AVC back to back with a normal rx on a slick track (low grip) with both a novice and a semi-pro driver, and in both cases they were faster with the AVC so maybe it's not just a beginners thing. Certainly something I am looking to play around with in my bashers just to understand it a bit better, I think they need to be disabled and checked in sanctioned events.
Was this on road or off road, if it was off road was it a natural bump dirt track?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Sure, until the beginner with a $100 gyro/TC whatever system gets his clock cleaned by a guy with a $300 system. So he buys that system and still gets his clock cleaned because the other driver is sponsored and has special software. That software comes out so he buys a new PC just to do the upgrade and still gets stomped because that guy has it set-up perfect. So he gets that guy to set it up for him and he still gets creamed because guess what? He just isn't that good and has wasted hundreds of dollars. Of course he will insist the other guy is still cheating.
I agree, The fast guys will just get faster & the cost of racing will needlessly increase. Yes that is REALITY!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gyros are not new either.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Why Thank you Kind Sir

Originally Posted by Lonestar
and still the GT-R sells like hot cakes
Thank you for that. It actually made me Laugh Out Loud.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DamianW
Before knocking the product.

Think about why they were banned years ago and give the current product a go.

Current AVC costs stuff all extra, back in the day required a $400 additional which was about as much as most chassis at the time.

I fly helis and they have embraced new technology which has resulted in a reduction in costs and more fun. With all the aids in the world I will never be a pro heli pilot but I have a hell of a lot more fun than without them.

Where as with cars we tend to ban anything new without even giving it a real go.

I have tried it on another racers car and IMO it has its place. Particularly helpful for beginners.

Whilst it wont make you a better driver nor will it make you faster it will help beginners avoid major spins which in a field of cars often leads to be hit by other cars or ending up hitting a board both of which can ending your race.

IMO, being affordable it will be great for bashers and good for beginners.
Do you race these helicopters against others or compete against others ?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, I used too.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DamianW
Before knocking the product.

Think about why they were banned years ago and give the current product a go.

Current AVC costs stuff all extra, back in the day required a $400 additional which was about as much as most chassis at the time.

I fly helis and they have embraced new technology which has resulted in a reduction in costs and more fun. With all the aids in the world I will never be a pro heli pilot but I have a hell of a lot more fun than without them.

Where as with cars we tend to ban anything new without even giving it a real go.

I have tried it on another racers car and IMO it has its place. Particularly helpful for beginners.

Whilst it wont make you a better driver nor will it make you faster it will help beginners avoid major spins which in a field of cars often leads to be hit by other cars or ending up hitting a board both of which can ending your race.

IMO, being affordable it will be great for bashers and good for beginners.
That's the reason beginners have the slower classes, from slow blinky and silvercan upwards. So they can learn to drive properly and not have it all done for them.
Helicopters aren't comparable at all, more channels etc.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

AVC has its place in the ground R/C world. That place is anywhere but on the track. It would be great for an overpowered Traxxas Revo on dirt field or in the X-01 at 90mph in a parking lot. But I think it actually hurts novice drivers, not help them.

Let's say a new driver learns to drive thier car with AVC. They get really good and thier lap times show that. The race director moves them into the appropriate class. That class doesn't allow AVC, and the car is all over the place because now the driver doesn't know how to properly set up turns or accelerate out of a corner.