Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Parking Lot Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cheap Parking Lot Track Build

Trying to come up with a way to make a track at a local parking lot. I want it to be easy to setup and take apart. I know I would make the outer edge from wood but what can I use for the inner parts? What would be the cheapest way to get this done?

This is for 1/10 cars.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Try flex hose or plastic gutter pipe, won't be hard on the cars
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oskygt
Try flex hose or plastic gutter pipe, won't be hard on the cars
What would I use to hold them down? I've been thinking of using a hose but I don't know how to hold it down.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Red face

If you going to use flat hose, maybe you can use nails, and just pull them up when your finished.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nails through the racing surface? That would damage the parking lot. You need to use weighted objects (sandbags, bricks etc) to hold the barriers in place.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Go to Goodwill and purchase some Blue Jean, cut the legs off sew up one end, fill with sand or lead shot, (either sew shut or install a zipper....).

After building a system, one thing that I learned that was interesting, is to cut say 3 foot sections, bend them into 45 and 22 degrees... I prefer the 45s to be a different length then 22 so it is simple you would you grab one. Then cut up some of the pipe at different lengths, thus you can create almost any corner configuration you would like. Big sweeping or small tight... I used 2" PVC pipe...

If I had it to do over I would use square pipe, it moves less.

The outside was 4" PVC, and this way the 2" when inside the 4" when we put it away...

I uploaded a couple pictures, to show you the drivers stand and pipe connections....
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-dsc_0634.jpg   Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-dsc_0824.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
Nails through the racing surface? That would damage the parking lot. You need to use weighted objects (sandbags, bricks etc) to hold the barriers in place.
I really does not to much damage, compared to a Chicago winter... But I tried Asphalt screws and they just sheered off when the cars hit the pipe, so it really did not work....
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bvoltz
I really does not to much damage, compared to a Chicago winter... But I tried Asphalt screws and they just sheered off when the cars hit the pipe, so it really did not work....
Yeah I don't want to make holes in the lot. How was it to take appart? I want to be able to disassemble and reassemble it.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Silo
Yeah I don't want to make holes in the lot. How was it to take appart? I want to be able to disassemble and reassemble it.
Easy... The key is the last piece, it locks it together.... Tension is your friend.... I wanted to part sticking out as cars break when catch the lip.... I was after seemless....

Also we started paint a different color on the different angles.... Used a heat gun, and jig to bend, PVC becomes very "rubbery" when heated, but use gloves... it will burn you when it gets that hot enough to bend.... It did not crack or break, when it cools it holds the shape....
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Easy... The key is the last piece, it locks it together.... Tension is your friend.... I wanted to part sticking out as cars break when catch the lip.... I was after seemless....

Also we started paint a different color on the different angles.... Used a heat gun, and jig to bend, PVC becomes very "rubbery" when heated, but use gloves... it will burn you when it gets that hot enough to bend.... It did not crack or break, when it cools it holds the shape....

How long should I make the straightaway? and how wide should the lanes be, should they really be 10feet wide?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Silo
How long should I make the straightaway? and how wide should the lanes be, should they really be 10feet wide?
How real-state do you have to work with... Our temp track was 150 by 90. 10 was the smallest part for us, because also ran 1/10th Nitro.... I would say we varied between 10feet and 20 feet. Let's say if someone was playing 10 feet out of the run line, it did not help them...

The smaller the track, the tighter the lanes can be....
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Other tracks.... And my dream Driver Stand....
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-dcp_0298.gif   Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-driversstandlow.jpg   Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-dscf0018.jpg   Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-img_0136.gif   Cheap Parking Lot Track Build-rams.jpg  

Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

We ran for years at a publix parking lot using 2" PVC pipe and couplers. we held the the couplers together with good old duck tape. We had some old plow disks welded with some 1 1/2 inch steel pipe, this kept the inside lanes in place.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can always go to your local fire station and pick up old fire hose. it works great for the inner barriers. Its not as easy to jump over with a sedan car as you might think.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Oh my..... where is the stomping grounds for that 'Castle Hobbies' trailer/driver stand??? That was a seriously nice 'temporary' track. I may have to see if I have 'relatives' I can go to visit in that part of the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.