Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Do I have what it takes? >

Do I have what it takes?

Do I have what it takes?

Old 03-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I heard that the 777 is a bit "twitchy" for newcomers and that the Mugen is more stable. Therefore, the Mugen may be a better 1st buggy for someone.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default two cents here

I got into every class I run by picking up a used car off
ebay or from this site and running it till it died.

I didn't care if it broke, and I learned how to fix it.

1/10 electric, gas, buggy and 1/8 onroad - all used. They
Old 03-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default finish comments

Sorry, hit send by mistake - anyway, I bought used stuff for 40-50% to see if I like it, then I bought a new kit and built what I wanted after I knew how to drive it and fix it.

I've seen guys buy all new stuff and they are afraid to run it,
and just about cry when it smacks the boards, so they tip toe around the track........

IMHO there is plenty of used equipment in the for sale ads on this site and I've picked up almost brand new stuff for pennies. I picked up two MTX-3s this week - virgin shelf queens ready to race for less than I can buy and build.

Be careful about used motors and electronics, but I've found most sellers are honest about the quality of what they sell, Ebay is a little more risky.

good luck
Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default ARR?

The first thing I thought when I read your post, GES, was that you might be better off with one of the cheaper ARR cars, like the XTM X-Terminator Pro or the Sportwerks Mayhem ARR (either with or without the engine on the SW)
they come as a rolling chassis assembled, with all but radio gear to complete. the X-T and Mayhem ARR's are both around $300 new, you can tear it down and rebuild it (might as well toss in a few upgrade parts too while yer at it).
there's a guy at a track a couple hours north of me, I hear he's running a stock X-T pro roller and tearing stuff up, and the Mayhem has been rippin around pretty well too.
I don't race 1/8, but my X-Terminator has proven to take my harsh thrashings in stride. I've broken four parts in the last year
And as to Hitec servos being crap...All my cars (save for my NTC3's JR Z590) are running Hitec steering servos, and I've yet to have one fail (aside from my Stampede taking a nosedive off the roof of my house-don't ask)
the Z590 that came with your XS3 Pro will be great for your buggy, the one in my Nitro TC3 is super overkill (which is my kinda kill)
IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the buggies currently on the market. the worst RACE buggy is probably the X-Terminator, but it's tough, and if you can't finish a race, you can't win.
Just learn how to get around the track without hitting stuff, and if you do hit the track, you'll be able to dominate one day.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wuts wrong with the Jammin buggy. I dont run 1/8th scale but am very interested and have read nothing but great stuff about this buggy. Just because OFNA has its name on it means nothing. OFNA if im not mistaken actually doesnt make any of their buggys, they are just the "salesman". The jammin is proving to be a very tough buggy and I dont see how you can say its a poor quality vehicle when guys like Adam Drake are driving it and are consistantly finishing well. Not to put anything past the others because I know they are nice, if I was to get a buggy right now, I would get the Jammin. The main thing I would tell you in your decision is to go to your local track, and find out which buggy they will carry parts for. There is nothing worse than going to the track and breaking a steering block or something small and being out for the day because the part isnt in stock.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

If it were in my price range, the X1CR Pro would be at the top of my shopping list.
however, I'm a broke college student, so the Mayhem is the way to fly for me
Old 03-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I forgot to mention the jammin' X1 or the sportwerks.If I was just starting out in 1/8th buggies I would pick between the sportwerks or the jammin' X1.I'm not saying their just for beginners,but I just prefer kyosho.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

My next 1/8 buggy is definitely going to be the Mayhem Pro w/the engine. IMO an unbeatable deal.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea the mayhem is a very good deal for a rtr buggy.Isn't it like 550 with the engine.If you find a used kanai 2 like I did for 250 you have to spend 600 or more for a good race buggy set-up.A novarossi p5 is at least 250,then if you get 2 aitronics 94358's thats another 200.Then if you go with an mx-3 like I did then it's 110 for that.And can't forget the pipe jammin' jp-1 hard anodized got it for 50 on ebay.So thats 610 for servo's,engine,pipe,transmitter and reciever.Man thats a lot of dough.