Like Tree1Likes

Xray T1FK05

Old 04-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Well, I definitely don't want to change the spur and I am not testing the difference among brands. I damage my 84T in the first run after hit by another car......since the gear is so soft, a slightly hit will cause deformation on the spur and thus damage the gear.

Another reason for replacing the spur is to test gear ratio. The resolution is not fine enough by just replacing the pinion gear. For example, changing pinion from 28T to 27T using 84T spur cause a gear ratio jump from 5.1 to 5.28, in stock racing, fine gear ratio is critical for speed,torque and battery consumption. normally I will test gear ratio in 0.05-0.1 difference. (Like 5.1 to 5.2 rather than 5.28)
Old 04-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Hmm let me think...

about 7 screws at most to be able to remove the layshaft..

Can have it apart in less than 5 minutes... I agree its abit of a pita that there are so few gear manufacturers making spurs that will fit, but for now my stock one is fine.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Associated went to a 3 bolt holddown as well...

the reason companies did this is simple geometry....3 points to define a plane....

With the 2 or 4 bolt system on spurs you need to worry about the gear wobbling or distorting.

As for removing the entire drivetrain..not necessary. Remove the left rear bulkead and you fully expose the supr with the drivetrain intact
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Midnight
Great pics! Wouldnt that place alot of stress on the tape slot!
Not too much. Haven't had any issues yet and I hit the wall hard enough to break 2 wheels last night. My ears are still ringing from the impact. No car damage, just 2 brand new Jaco wheels. I would have rather broken an arm.

Originally posted by dado11g
hey tim, when did you get an xray? you're always driving that tc3
I picked up the last one at RcScrewZ last tuesday. I haven't given up on the TC3, just wanted to try something different. Where were you last night. We had 7 racers running 19T and 22 running stock. Good turnout.

Tim
Old 04-06-2005, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Need help. FK05 shock ball joints rubbing wheels.

I will be running 28mm foams on my 05, so as instructed in the manual, I trimmed the shock mounts off of the rear arms. With the shocks mounted in the outer holes, the wheels rub the shock ball joints as the suspension begins to compress. They rub to the point of binding things up. What do I need to do to correct this? Do I need to move the shocks to the inner holes (this goes against the manual and the posted team driver setups)? What options do I have to take care of this situation? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Need help. FK05 shock ball joints rubbing wheels.

Originally posted by DougC
I will be running 28mm foams on my 05, so as instructed in the manual, I trimmed the shock mounts off of the rear arms. With the shocks mounted in the outer holes, the wheels rub the shock ball joints as the suspension begins to compress. They rub to the point of binding things up. What do I need to do to correct this? Do I need to move the shocks to the inner holes (this goes against the manual and the posted team driver setups)? What options do I have to take care of this situation? Thanks for any help.
I think running on the inner hole for the shock mount is fine. (rear arm) If you really want to put it on the outter hole, i suggest dremeling the arm like people did for the FK04
Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've driven the 04 FT kit and this 05 kit on the inner holes for the rear shock and the car has been absolutely dialed!!

Try it yourself, if you don't like it and can't get the car to connect, then you have to think about a) running 26mm in the rear or b)modify the ball end on the shock or arm. Why make headaches when you can just switch holes? If could see your frustration when a second hold isn't available to switch to.

Team drivers setups are for reference only...they can be changed to suit your driving style, track and conditions!

John
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Shock Mounting

I have moved my shocks to the other side of the shock tower on my FK04. Can you do that the same on the 05 with the same affects??
Old 04-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What? Like on the RDX where the shocks face the front of the car? RDX does that because the use the same geometry on all 4 corners... Xray does not...I'm very suprized you could do this and it's the first I have heard about it.

John

btw - I was talking rear shocks. What shocks did you flip?? Front or Rear?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Need help. FK05 shock ball joints rubbing wheels.

Originally posted by DougC
I have taken the Dremel to the arm and removed enough material so that the ball end doesn't rub at any point in the suspension travel. It's very easy and only takes a few minutes to allow use of the outer hole. There is more than enough material in that location on the arm, that the stiffness of the arm will not be compromised.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

Does anyone use the optional foam bits in the top of the X-ray shocks? What would doing this do for the shocks?

Also do most people use fixed pistons or the adjustable ones?

I just got a ride vacuum pump to build shocks with are there any things I need to be careful and check as this will be first time using this tool.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by acutts
Does anyone use the optional foam bits in the top of the X-ray shocks? What would doing this do for the shocks?

Also do most people use fixed pistons or the adjustable ones?

I just got a ride vacuum pump to build shocks with are there any things I need to be careful and check as this will be first time using this tool.

Cheers
Where did you get the vacuum pump? I used to have one and loved it!!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Is that a sweedish made vacuum pump? LOL...
Old 04-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Addict

I got the last one that stormer hobbies had

They are out of stock everywhere ..... don't know if they make them anaymore ...! While I was looking apparently Tamiya also make one but never found one either ...!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Is that a sweedish made vacuum pump? LOL...
Probably would of been easier to get hold of .....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.