Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So who is sponsered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Partial sponsorships arn't that great in my eyes. Shumacher offered me a 50% sponsorship back a few years ago, I had to turn it down, it would have cost me more money just to switch to their cars.

Sponsorship is great and all, but I'd rather make my own decisions on what products I use and if I don't feel like racing for 6 months thats fine by me.

A lot of the "partial" sponsorships are nothing but them offering you products at either cost or a few bucks above cost so they can make a little extra. I'd rather just make my own decisions on what products to use, support my local hobby shop, and have fun.

I do remember when I was 14 and racing sponsorship was the pinnacle, but I didn't have two dimes to rub together then. So I understand where you are coming from, but really save your money get some batteries, spend time working on your car and behind the transmitter and win on your own dime. To me nothing is better than beating up on all those "sponsered" drivers with all my old school and budget stuff.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is a very good article on TeamOrion website.

http://www.teamorion.com/faq/sponsor.asp

Old 01-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by GroffBall
Partial sponsorships arn't that great in my eyes. Shumacher offered me a 50% sponsorship back a few years ago, I had to turn it down, it would have cost me more money just to switch to their cars.

Sponsorship is great and all, but I'd rather make my own decisions on what products I use and if I don't feel like racing for 6 months thats fine by me.

A lot of the "partial" sponsorships are nothing but them offering you products at either cost or a few bucks above cost so they can make a little extra. I'd rather just make my own decisions on what products to use, support my local hobby shop, and have fun.

I do remember when I was 14 and racing sponsorship was the pinnacle, but I didn't have two dimes to rub together then. So I understand where you are coming from, but really save your money get some batteries, spend time working on your car and behind the transmitter and win on your own dime. To me nothing is better than beating up on all those "sponsered" drivers with all my old school and budget stuff.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kumpol
There is a very good article on TeamOrion website.

http://www.teamorion.com/faq/sponsor.asp

great read and 100% correct that should be in the new racer handbook.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Along with how not to be a Bucky
Old 01-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Along with how not to be a Bucky

Old 01-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

groffball

i think anyone can respect that. I know lots of guys that like to change products alot heck resently pros have been jumping companies like crazy. Go for it bro i would love to see a indepent win the mod nats, i beleave somthing like that would do great things for the sport. lets alot of us know it can be done. i personaly am getting sick of seeing the same name on the top 10

Rob
Old 01-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by WVRACER
groffball

i think anyone can respect that. I know lots of guys that like to change products alot heck resently pros have been jumping companies like crazy. Go for it bro i would love to see a indepent win the mod nats, i beleave somthing like that would do great things for the sport. lets alot of us know it can be done. i personaly am getting sick of seeing the same name on the top 10

Rob
I sure am not gonna be winning the mod nats thats for sure, I still havn't figured out this touring car thing completely, I'm an old offroad guy, won lots of club races, a few bigger races and was always in the A main with a lot of mostly sponsored people, but no where near National contetion, Just don't have the time, or the skill. I just enjoy beating the guys with the 400 dollars X rays with 2.00 batteries and 50 motors with my TB-02 I just don't see an average guy winning any national events, its not a money or equipment thing, its a time thing.

I just got back into the hobby and am enjoying every minute.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, besides the fact that you can drive, attending races, be near the top in your region......

Try your local hobby shop for a sponsor or local manufacturers. Factory full ride is almost next to impossible these days now. And a lot of times, if your local shop has a track, they are not just looking for people that only drives, they look for people that help beginners, help out with the track, just a simple good representation of the company. Maybe you'll only get a discount, cost + whatever percent, but it still beats paying retail. Plus, being part of a team is a good thing, you can help, you get help, you learn quicker and the sense of belonging (I can't believe I said that, but it's true) are all a good thing.

Dom
Old 02-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Arrow ntc3freak

I now how much being sponsered would mean to you as I'm only 15 and getting free stuff is up there on the wish list. being the fastest in your street is cool but racing is very different. just being organised and having the right equipment and spares when you need them is important when you start racing. I would suggest you have a years racing under your belt before you worry about sponsership
Old 02-03-2005, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: So who is sponsered?

Originally posted by racingkd
So who is sponsored? and by whom? just curious!!!
Too many people, in my opinion. Actually, way too many people. I'd like to see each team have a couple full-ride factory guys and that's it. Every other guy having some sort of partial deal ruins the spirit of racing—again, only in my opinion. Unless he's at his (the sponsored guy's) home track or at the Nationals, I don't think Joe Weekend Racer should run into a sponsored guy. Racing has changed a lot over the years and it seems good old fashioned club racing is getting harder and harder to find. So, I say boo to sponsorships.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Team Balls reperesent!
-Buddy
Old 02-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default team balls

send me some decals and you will be a proud sponser of the fastest dude in the land down under
Old 02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Corally91
Why does everybody have to get on here and talk crap, why can't you people just answer his question?
I was not trying to be a jerk or anything, but his question was who is sponsored? Not, how do I get sponsored. How are we suppose to type in this thread all the sponsored racers that race around the world? My smart answer was because it was a fairly rediculous question to answer. I applogize, I should have not posted. I also think this thread should be moved to another forum, but that's another issue.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: So who is sponsered?

Originally posted by NHRCRACER
Too many people, in my opinion. Actually, way too many people.
I'd have to agree. Its the partial deals that actually bother me. Like WVRacer stated a certain % of can help, but you have to be careful like someone esle mentioned you may end up spending more just to switch products.

Companies have 1 motive for sponsorship of any particular racer... increasing sales. Which is perfectly logical and fair.

There are 2 ways companies can increase sales through sponsorship.
1. Signing talented/ personable drivers that will influence others to purchase the products he/she promotes. This influence can be on a regional or national level and can be precipitated by a good personalitly, great on track results, or both.

2. Providing discounts to aspiring racers. Lately I've seena nd experienced upstart companies providing "sponsorship" to MANY MANY drivers. Since so many drivers begind buying their sponsors product... obviously the increased sales offsets the often small % discount so in the end the company wins 2 fold. They make profit on the products provided to these "sponsored" racers and they also will, by chance, end up finding a good racer that promotes their products just like in #1.

Its this second item that disturbs me. Playing on the desire of racers to become sponsored, though good for business, may not necessarily be good for the sport/hobby. I had a partial sponsorship for a short time recently and found that I actually spent more money (after my discount) for 4 batteries than I could have gotten those 4 batteries (or comparable) from another company without sponsorship.

Plus I envisioned sponsorship as having a very team like atmosphere. I'm sure many do, but often these discount deals don't involve much "team" interaction if any.

Being a working adult helps fund my love for racing and surely that might have something to do with my opinion that sponsorships are not really necessary or good for most of us.
When I first started out racing I too wanted to be sponsored so I could "get free stuff". Looking at it now though... "sponsorship" isn't about getting free stuff, and if you aren't careful it can cost more than you might imagine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.