Old 03-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default brushless questions

Hi there, I am thinking of going brushless and here are some questions:

1) What's the difference between a controller with sensor and
one thats sensorless?

2) Will i expect a change in driving style from brushes to
brushless? Is there any difference?

3) What do you mean by 'cogging effect' of the motor?

4) Has anyone tried the U-force 75 ESC with a brush motor and
how is it compared to the normal brushed ESCs?

5) What's a good brushless motor equivalent to an 8T brushed
mod motor?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to find out more before i commit. Cheers.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what do you mean can't power? i got response from schulze that uforce can run with novak, and i did connect it to esc, but didn't screw the motor on the car... gonna do that on friday, but the motor works, just don't know about the power.
It will run the motor without load, but it has terrible start up problems when the car is on the ground. Let me know if yours works differently.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

1) What's the difference between a controller with sensor and
Sensored controllers always know the position of the rotor and never stutter or "cog" when the motor starts up from a dead stop. Most of the modern sensorless controllers don't have a problem with this. The Schulze U-Force 75 and most motors works very well.

2) Will i expect a change in driving style from brushes to
Brushless tends to roll more than a brushed motor so you may feel the need to add some drag brake to make it feel more like what you are used to.

#3 was answered in #1.

4) Has anyone tried the U-force 75 ESC with a brush motor and
I own one but I haven't tried it yet.

5) What's a good brushless motor equivalent to an 8T brushed
Plettenberg Shadow, hacker c40-7t or 6t, maybe some fo the lehner 15 series with Kv ratings around 6000 rpm/v. You can also use larger mtors and gear them to use the torque to generate more speed. I was able to gear a lehner basic 4200 to keep up with 9 and 10 turn motors, so youmight be able to gear a lehner basic 5300 to keep up with an 8 turn.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Exe
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kufman
It will run the motor without load, but it has terrible start up problems when the car is on the ground. Let me know if yours works differently.

ok, i did run today with novak and uforce 75. coggin is really hard but it does not affect as i drive on carpet, as full trotthle is my friend

diesel: i don't know how hacker motors run, but they have about 700watts, the lehner basic xl5000 i own is 1300watts , maximum of course... and is extremely smooth without any coggin , just pure extreme power! haven't seen anything faster than this motor. you can't go wrong with this motor!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys for the quick reply and valuable info. Looks like the Schulze U-force 75 and the lehner are the way to go.

Are there any other speedies comparable to that of the U-force 75? Something lighter for my wallet perhaps?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I wonder when Novak is going to release...

some info about their new brushless. I hope they are making a smaller speedo. I would love to run one in a 12 scale with 3800s. That would be great! Any one read/hear anything? The one they are working on, is it the brushed and brushless speedo? I hope not. Anyway no talk about it? I can't wait for it.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

I just ordered a Novak SS+ with the 5800...I am assuming it is the same size of the original. I'm upgrading from the Novak bl 4300 to the SS+. Now I can leave the speedo in and run any class without worrying about removing a speedo
Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Cut the Blue wire

I Loved my SS 5800 until the weather warmed up here.........Almost of us ran them in the HPI Super Electrics, we got pissed off when we could never finish a 5 minute race without thermalling. We tested all over the gear charts and could barely finish. We bagged the brushless and went back to brushed motors and have been smiling ever since. Miss not having to turn motors though - But definitely not worth the thermal frustration.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

Default Re: Cut the Blue wire

Originally posted by Silver Cup
I Loved my SS 5800 until the weather warmed up here.........Almost of us ran them in the HPI Super Electrics, we got pissed off when we could never finish a 5 minute race without thermalling. We tested all over the gear charts and could barely finish. We bagged the brushless and went back to brushed motors and have been smiling ever since. Miss not having to turn motors though - But definitely not worth the thermal frustration.
yup, that's the problem of novak esc, it simply cannot handle the it's own motor's power.

disel: you can get lehner warrior 7018 for 160$. but the main reason i went with uforce because timing is adjustable on
uforce and and you can really feel the difference... you can select soft soft/ soft/ medium / hard timing which corresponds to maximum torque and power at lower/low/medium/high speed. and you can always adjust to the track you drive on.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

here is a clip riding my pro4 with lehner basic xl5000 and uforce75. gear ratio is 7.75, the length of the longest straight line is 24 meters.

video 6 mb here
Old 04-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Exe: Awesome Vid!!! Very well taken. Speed down the straight looks comparable to an 8T brush mod motor.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

the interesting thing is that motor spools up immediately and almost through the whole straight it's running at full throttle... but it's extremely powerul and fast
Old 04-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Are there any other speedies comparable to that of the U-force 75? Something lighter for my wallet perhaps?
Unfortunately i don't know of any. I am hoping that castle creations comes out with a good car/truck controller soon. Their mini/micro system, the mamba, is really good.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

the interesting thing is that motor spools up immediately and almost through the whole straight it's running at full throttle... but it's extremely powerul and fast
What gearing are you running with that setup?

For indoors and my lehner basic 4200 I run 72/26 and with my shadow I run 72/22 in my TC3.

How hot does the controller get?

Very nice video.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Exe
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kufman
What gearing are you running with that setup?

For indoors and my lehner basic 4200 I run 72/26 and with my shadow I run 72/22 in my TC3.

How hot does the controller get?

Very nice video.
in the video it was close to 8 gear ratio. but something shuts off after 4-5 mins of intense run... probably heat, but esc is not really hot... i don't know if it's the motor or esc, sent an email to schulze about that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.