Wiki Posts
Search

Why F1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
For me it was a lot of things. The scale looks are great. Driving a rear wheel chassis is more of a challenge especially on rubber tires. Tuning offers different challenges.

Most of all is the high level of FUN competition. The drivers in f1 are all about fun but still very competitive. There is also a respect between drivers that makes the racing much cleaner. In tc you have a full body so someone never thinks twice about bumping you a little. In f1 the open wheels won't let that fly. There is a lot more concentration on not touching the other car. Wheel to wheel contact usually results in both cars up against the wall. It is just a lot cleaner. Since it is cleaner racing that also translates into less broken arts. Usually when you do break something you know it was your own fault and you earned the repair bill.
+1 = these cars need to be driven and boy are they fun !! I cant stand being hacked in the tc classes either, so f1 sorts that out. Plus , I follow the full scale World Championship.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It was perfect timing for me. I'm an offroad guy who had a dedicated onroad track open up (very near by) and couldn't let myself squander that opportunity. Personally, I liked being able to get into a class that's on it's way into the mainstream. As onroad tries to reinvent itself, I think F1 is crucial to that success. Onroad needs a cheap, fun class to run, to get people out to the onroad track.

GT8, buggy-based onroad, also covers that, but with a higher budget. I will be racing F1 and GT8, with no plans to get into the established onroad classes. Both these classes will draw offroaders in, as well newbies into the hobby. Our debut race was the 25th, and both classes put on an awesome show. If I wasn't racing or marshaling, I was showing my cars off in the pits.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

scale realism is awesome.

a good group of guys locally, with lots of races and friendly rules for newer racers got me into it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It's a funster class, so mostly nobody good runs it. Gives the old guys some hope.
Me like this!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For me it was the ease of maintenance. There is so little to wear out on these cars it is great. The cost of maintaining F1 cars is minimal also. Then when you factor in the weight and how little power they can handle electronics are easy to get and take little abuse.

Out of all my cars the F1 seems to always be the car that is ready to go. It rarely needs a something fixed before I could take it to the track. I cannot say the same for the TC and defiantly not the off road cars. I think this adds to some of the appeal to F1 since you are spending less time wrenching on the car you spend time making nice bodies or doing things to improve the handling. This is in essence what F1 is all about even in full scale. I do need to get back to working on my diffuser and other aero modifications to my car to see if I can get even better handling.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've looked at getting an F1 car despite the fact I don't know anyone that runs it. Why? Because I'm an F1 nut and I love the scale look of them.

I mean, just look at it!!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It's a funster class, so mostly nobody good runs it. Gives the old guys some hope.
6/10- try harder next time LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Suteki
I've looked at getting an F1 car despite the fact I don't know anyone that runs it. Why? Because I'm an F1 nut and I love the scale look of them.

I mean, just look at it!!
That one would look better with his teammate's number and helmet colors....... I can't stand Louise......

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 04-04-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go Jenson! ! !
Old 04-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
That one would look better with his teammate's number and helmet colors....... I can't stand Louise......
No no it's the right colour
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

I didn't see the most important thing: SCALE-looks!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
I didn't see the most important thing: SCALE-looks!
Because that's largely subjective .

I got in because it was a fun class. Close racing, fairly little in the way of setup options compared to TC, and open wheeled pan car. Running with open wheels does teach you to respect each others, not that I don't have wheelmarks on my sidepod... . RWD teaches you to respect the throttle.

It's fairly easy to setup, but I partially disagree on the maintenance. When the class died here in '05 or so we were amazed how low maintenance the TCs actually were, in comparison. No messing around with traction compounds, not having to check height and rollout after each run... of course, we ran neither with hot modifieds, which keps the wear and tear relatively low. Just put it down and go (assuming you had the setup nailed, of course).

Costwise, I'm not convinced it's a cheap class per se.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Louise might be a crybaby but he can drive!

I'm more of a Jenson fan though I must admit!

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ijdod
Because that's largely subjective .

I got in because it was a fun class. Close racing, fairly little in the way of setup options compared to TC, and open wheeled pan car. Running with open wheels does teach you to respect each others, not that I don't have wheelmarks on my sidepod... . RWD teaches you to respect the throttle.

It's fairly easy to setup, but I partially disagree on the maintenance. When the class died here in '05 or so we were amazed how low maintenance the TCs actually were, in comparison. No messing around with traction compounds, not having to check height and rollout after each run... of course, we ran neither with hot modifieds, which keps the wear and tear relatively low. Just put it down and go (assuming you had the setup nailed, of course).

Costwise, I'm not convinced it's a cheap class per se.
I agree with a lot of your post. I thing the maintenance is less though as long as you keep it off of the boards. Open wheels by nature may be more prone to breaking suspension arms on anything else exposed.

You nailed it on the cost thing though. No such thing as a cheap class if you want to be competitive but it does seem to be cheaper than a lot of others.

VTA not nearly as cheap to run up front as people would lead you to believe
1/12 too many tires
tc lots of broken parts / worn belts / tires
Anything off road broken parts dirt in every part causing it to wear quickly even more tires

Compared to the other classes I think f1 is cheaper but none of the above is cheap.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have to agree with the others who state they have a thing for full sized open wheel racing on road courses. It just ends up translating to what I want to play with in my hobby. When I was little I watched Indy on Wide World of Sports, then Monte Carlo on their crappy tape delay: The thrill of victory and agony of defeat. Back then I even knew who Mark Donahue and Peter Revson were. Peter was one of my boyhood heros along with Mark, Mario and AJ. Those men could get in any car and drive it to its limit. It was sad we lost 2 of them too soon. As I can't be an F1 racer, too large, I can put down a car that resembles a real racer and have a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.