Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ECX Torment Spur/Pinion Pitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ECX Torment Spur/Pinion Pitch Question

The Stock 20T Pinion Gear (ECX3018) is listed on the Horizon site as having pitch of "1.5 Module"...the Stock 87T Spur Gear (ECX1076) is listed as having "48 Pitch". Are they the same?

I'm new to r/c and was told it was very important that the pitch for the spur gear and pinion gear be the same, when I change them.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

From a quick search online, I think your car is 48p (48 pitch). Mod is different, and the two wouldn't work together.

If you take a look at what is already on your vehicle, then you should see a marking such as 48p 60t where 48p is the pitch and 60t is how many teeth are on the gear. Order whatever you're going to in a matching pitch (or matching mod if you have mod gears), but feel free to play with the number of teeth to change your speed vs torque.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

mod1 and 48P are similar and will work together, but a proper 48P pinion would be best for efficiency and longevity.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BandS
The Stock 20T Pinion Gear (ECX3018) is listed on the Horizon site as having pitch of "1.5 Module"...the Stock 87T Spur Gear (ECX1076) is listed as having "48 Pitch". Are they the same?

I'm new to r/c and was told it was very important that the pitch for the spur gear and pinion gear be the same, when I change them.

Bands, there's documentation online that shows how to calculate and determine the "module" of a cog.
http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_te...pdf/module.pdf
Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BigRM
mod1 and 48P are similar and will work together, but a proper 48P pinion would be best for efficiency and longevity.
Mod1 is a much larger tooth than 48p, approximately a 25.4p. Suspect you meant mod0.6, sometimes referred to as "metric 48p" in RC gears if I'm not mistaken. While mod0.6 is sorta close to 48p (~42.3p) in my opinion they don't work very well together.

Originally Posted by blis
Bands, there's documentation online that shows how to calculate and determine the "module" of a cog.
http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_te...pdf/module.pdf
That reference is going to be confusing for practical RC gear use. Imperial RC gears such as 32p, 48p, and 64p are referred to by diametral pitch, not circular pitch. Also it does not mention the different measurement systems used, inches and mm, for the different RC gear systems.

32p, 48p, and 64p gears are imperial/inch based gears. Most 1/10 & 1/12 RCs use these.

Mod gears are metric based gears. Many/most 1/8 scales use mod1, Tamiya is the most common mod0.6 user if I remember correctly.

Not really interchangeable.

Perhaps a more useful conversion chart for relative comparisons:
Gear Pitch Conversions
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I only copied what Horizon Hobby has listed on their website for the two parts...the parts and part numbers are listed in the manual that came with the vehicle. In the manual it just names the part (Spur Gear, Pinion Gear, etc.), but no info.

On the Horizon Hobby website they give the tooth count and pitch, and that's where my confusion originated, as they list the Spur Gear as 48 Pitch while the pitch for the Pinion Gear is listed as 1.5 Module. I sent an Email to them asking if it were a typo or if the pitch listed for the two stock parts is correct, but they generally take awhile to answer. Tried to post a link to the Pinion Gear page, but can't yet. Go to Horizon Hobby website, look up part Number ECX3018, click on the "Specs" tab and it lists it as having Pitch: 1.5 Module.

Irregardless; I have a set of five pinion gears, all 48 Pitch, so it's best that the Spur Gear also be 48 Pitch, from what I have learned so far, correct? Will use the link to figure out what Pitch the two stock parts are.

[QUOTE=Dave H;10538455]Mod1 is a much larger tooth than 48p, approximately a 25.4p. Suspect you meant mod0.6, sometimes referred to as "metric 48p" in RC gears if I'm not mistaken. While mod0.6 is sorta close to 48p (~42.3p) in my opinion they don't work very well together.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Initiate

And thank you for all the responses and advice.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes, if all of the pinions you use are 48p, you also want a 48p spur gear. For a good mesh (and less stripping and resistance), they need to match.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I rcvd. a response from Horizon Hobby's Product Support section, and was told the stock Pinion Gear for the ECX Torment is 48 Pitch and that they'd change the website.

So the stock Pinion Gear and stock Spur Gear are both 48 Pitch after all. Thank you again to all who responded with information/advice.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by justpoet
If you take a look at what is already on your vehicle, then you should see a marking such as 48p 60t where 48p is the pitch and 60t is how many teeth are on the gear...
Bought new spur gear at LHS and took the slipper pads off the old one, and neither the pinion gear nor the spur gear that came stock from ECX have any markings to identify pitch or number of teeth, and the ECX spur gear at the LHS is same part number as listed in the Torment's manual, and also has no markings to indicate pitch, etc. Hopefully they never drop a bunch of various sizes at the production facility and mix them up