Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated SC10.2 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Team Associated SC10.2 4wd

Well, not really. I took my rc8.2 and converted it to a SC10. Like many guys, I am frustrated with the chintzy quality of the current crop of 4wd SCTs so I decided to take a proven design and make my own. I love my 8.2 so I thought it would be a great platform.

All I had to do is throw on the sc8 bumper which is a direct fit along with sc8 shock towers. For bling and weight savings, I am using SNR Graphite carbon fiber towers and the rc8 carbon fiber chassis.

Power is supplied by the Pro4 4000 on 2s so no one cries about an unfair advantage. I am using DE 17mm wheels. Using a J concepts SC10 4wd body.

As far as I can tell, fits right in with the current crop of 4wd SCTs. It may be a couple of mm too wide for ROAR, but who cares. As you can see, it is almost the same size as the regular sc10.

I haven't taken it out to the track yet, but I am sure it will handle just fine. The shock angles are off with the sc8, but damping can be fixed with thicker oil and springs. A little soft right right now.

Can't find my scale to weight it, but doesn't seem that much heavier than my Losi SCTE. I am planning to take Mr. Dremmel to the battery box and receiver box to save little more weight.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

looks great!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Nice, can you post an exact parts list of everything you used for the conversion with their part numbers?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Well, not really. I took my rc8.2 and converted it to a SC10. Like many guys, I am frustrated with the chintzy quality of the current crop of 4wd SCTs so I decided to take a proven design and make my own.
You are my hero.

I love my 8.2 so I thought it would be a great platform.

All I had to do is throw on the sc8 bumper which is a direct fit along with sc8 shock towers. For bling and weight savings, I am using SNR Graphite carbon fiber towers and the rc8 carbon fiber chassis.

Power is supplied by the Pro4 4000 on 2s so no one cries
Oh, don't worry - somebody is going to cry!

It may be a couple of mm too wide for ROAR, but who cares. As you can see, it is almost the same size as the regular sc10.
I hate to ask this, but I'm going to do it anyway - what's stopping you from taking the A arms off the SC10 4x4 and putting them on your conversion that is too wide to get the width down?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

Wouldn't that make it an sc8?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimmer411
Wouldn't that make it an sc8?
Yeah, I think you pretty much just made an SC8 with a buggy chassis. The quality of the build looks good though.

Also if you are running that on 2S you will definitely need a 4000kv motor or higher or else it is going to be turd slow.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Now since your using a RC8.2 chassis on it if you wanted to race it in the 4wd SC class whould you be allowed to ? Im guessing if the wheelbase is the same it shouldnt be a issue even though its really a 1/8 scale.

I have a RC8TCE nitro chassis with a Associated conversion kit whould that work ?
But than again i whould need to buy a butch of RC8B Or RC8.2 parts.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
You are my hero.

Oh, don't worry - somebody is going to cry!

I hate to ask this, but I'm going to do it anyway - what's stopping you from taking the A arms off the SC10 4x4 and putting them on your conversion that is too wide to get the width down?

I may try it. The problem with the front is that the C Hubs are so different btw the two cars. The car is only a mm or two too wide. If someone could make slightly thinner wheel mounts, it would probably be within ROAR specs.

I think 8th scale buggy is the best 4wd platform from a durability standpoint. The Losi SCTE is just a slightly smaller Losi Eight, so I don't think anyone can logically argue my SC10.2 or the Xray or Mugen version people have been working on aren't legit. Heck, 75% of the guys that run the SCTE locally here use mp9 or Eight shocks on their Losi SCTEs anyway. The Losi IS an eighth scale RTR buggy just rebadged. Ten T = SCTE = 810. 90% of the parts are the same on all three cars.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Well, not really. I took my rc8.2 and converted it to a SC10. Like many guys, I am frustrated with the chintzy quality of the current crop of 4wd SCTs so I decided to take a proven design and make my own. I love my 8.2 so I thought it would be a great platform.

Power is supplied by the Pro4 4000 on 2s so no one cries about an unfair advantage. I am using DE 17mm wheels. Using a J concepts SC10 4wd body.

As far as I can tell, fits right in with the current crop of 4wd SCTs. It may be a couple of mm too wide for ROAR, but who cares. As you can see, it is almost the same size as the regular sc10.

I haven't taken it out to the track yet, but I am sure it will handle just fine. The shock angles are off with the sc8, but damping can be fixed with thicker oil and springs. A little soft right right now.

Can't find my scale to weight it, but doesn't seem that much heavier than my Losi SCTE. I am planning to take Mr. Dremmel to the battery box and receiver box to save little more weight.
Looks great!

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Now since your using a RC8.2 chassis on it if you wanted to race it in the 4wd SC class whould you be allowed to ? Im guessing if the wheelbase is the same it shouldnt be a issue even though its really a 1/8 scale.

I have a RC8TCE nitro chassis with a Associated conversion kit whould that work ?
But than again i whould need to buy a butch of RC8B Or RC8.2 parts.
He should be allowed to race it in 1/10 SC 4wd as long as it meets the dimensional requirements of the class. However it is too wide as is so narrowing the hexes to make it the legal width would not be too difficult.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

He should be allowed to race it in 1/10 SC 4wd as long as it meets the dimensional requirements of the class. However it is too wide as is so narrowing the hexes to make it the legal width would not be too difficult.
Unless it's a race where 1/8th conversions are explicitly not allowed....

But, all this circles back to the original question, why didn't AE just do this in the first place? That truck looks great.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
Unless it's a race where 1/8th conversions are explicitly not allowed....

But, all this circles back to the original question, why didn't AE just do this in the first place? That truck looks great.
That's ridiculous! As long as it meets the dimensional and electronics requirements who cares where it came from? In it's current "too wide" state it should not be allowed for sure but narrow it up and rock it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think too many places forbid 8th scale conversions in the strictest sense or else the Losi wouldn't be allowed imho. Initially, 8th scale conversion really meant running 8th scale buggy rims/tires instead of SCT specific wheels and using 8th scale power plants.

Now that you can buy 17mm SCT rims, the buggy wheel issue wouldn't apply. 540 4 pole motors are more than capable of pushing these cars around with no problem whatsoever on 2s.

I think the manufacturers didn't really understand that 4wd SCT is really closer to 8th scale electric than it is the 10th scale classes. The drive trains take a lot of abuse, the cars are extremely fast, and many people race these on larger outdoor tracks. The current crop of cars are fine I guess for the smaller indoor 10th scale tracks, but their weakness and lack of build quality really shows up at the bigger/faster tracks.

I really think any of the companies that produce great 8th scale cars could build a 10th scale 4wd SCT using their 8th scale platforms. All that is really needed is maybe some shorter arms/wheel lugs and cvds. Weight could be saved by using some smaller shocks and less beefy parts.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
I believe the original intent was to create a truck that was light enough to run 540 motors and standard 1/10 esc's.

Based on the funky 3 piece modular chassis I would assume it would have also been a platform for a new 4wd buggy.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Everytime I go see somebody post "No 1/8th scales in SC in XXX series", I go look at the rules. And everytime I've seen it, the rules are "no 1/8th scale tires in SC"

I'm kind of dying to see how wide the truck really is. The AE spec sheet says it's 305mm, which would mean you need to peal off 5mm per side to get it legal, but that's with the 1/8 scale tires.

I'm almost tempted to order a set of the hubs and try and get them milled down that far; and if I can....then buy a 8.2e.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 1/8 conversions

Nice looking truck. I have a old RC8 that I thought about doing the same thing with but I'm going to keep it nitro powered

I just read over the 4wd SC rules for ROAR and RC Pro. As far as I can see, as long as the truck fits the dimensions it is legal. Don't quote me on that, there may be updated rules and I could have read them wrong The one thing that I did notice is that some tracks and or event organizers do not allow 1/8 conversions in the 4wd SC class. The truck must be sold and promoted as a 1/10 scale 4wd SC. For example the very popular Short Course Showdown Nation Wide Tour specifically states in the rules no 1/8 converted trucks allowedhttp://www.shortcourseshowdown.com/rules.html

I understand that most tracks and weekly club racing events may not care about 1/8 conversions. I would suggest that you found out what your local track and or events you would like to attend will allow before investing time and money in a truck that would not be allowed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.