Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What makes Kyosho shocks so good? >

What makes Kyosho shocks so good?

What makes Kyosho shocks so good?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
I'm not going to argue the symantics of whether or not Taiwan is part of China.
Ya, you're right... I guess if Taiwan and China are 'the same', we may as well throw Japan, Korea, and Singapore in there too.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Ya, you're right... I guess if Taiwan and China are 'the same', we may as well throw Japan, Korea, and Singapore in there too.
Exactly
Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c2k
I think since Kyosho have been around for so much time it has a lot of knowledge on materials and tolerances. I think AE has made a lot of effort to improve it's kit quality they have develop their first 1/8 platform for over 5 years now.
AE did make a great effort. They let Kyosho do the R&D, perfect it, then cloned it and stuck AE stickers on it...lol. Great job AE
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
AE did make a great effort. They let Kyosho do the R&D, perfect it, then cloned it and stuck AE stickers on it...lol. Great job AE

Yeah that makes total sense. Specifically since AE had good shocks years before Kyosho. And this in all categories not only 1/8. Please guys, keep illuminating us.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by maxflo777
Yeah that makes total sense. Specifically since AE had good shocks years before Kyosho. And this in all categories not only 1/8. Please guys, keep illuminating us.
Yeah Tebo and King run AE shocks. lol. I remember some top AE 8th scale guys running Kyosho parts not long ago....hell some still are. Yeah AE makes good stuff
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

AE has never, yes never had good shocks. Why do you think green slime was brought into their catalog years ago? And even to this day their latest 13mm shocks on the SC104x4 are horrible!

In 2007 when we debuted the 1/8 Big Bore at the Nats we had other factory team drivers asking us if we brought "extras"

THE best shocks I have ever built and used were Losi JRX2 with MIP hard bodies and Ti coated shafts with SRS cartridges and MIP orings and Losi pistons. Butter is 80 grit compared to these.

Fast forward to today...

Best off the shelf shocks for off road = Kyosho

Best off the shelf shocks for on-road = Tamiya

To answer the original question "What makes Kyosho shocks so good?" Quality control & material selection.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
tef
Tech Regular

..back on topic of the shocks.

Kyosho uses tighter tolerances then most manufactures and it shows in the fit and finish and also the smoothness. In order to use tighter tolerances, you have to have equipment that will achieve and maintain these tolerances. In order to have the equipment and calibration of these units you need money.

Kyosho has a race history that allows them to sell kits at a higher price and racers buy them. That money is re-purposed back into the product, R&D, and equipment/Maintenance etc. They will continue to make 900 cars and people will buy them until the circle of kyoshos business model fails, not saying it will, so they will keep building on success. The next version shocks will be everything you like about the current shock, taken to the next level, again building on an already great product. They have 3, 4 version of the same part that people think "they got wrong initially", this is usually not the case as they better what they already make and in some cases modify for the better.

Its companies like Kyosho that raise the bar so high that most racers can't see the forest for the trees so to speak, it's in the details. I find with Kyosho people are separated in 2 groups; people who love Kyosho and people who hate them.

...as I drifted off topic at the end too lol
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't favor either car but once again used both shocks for about 1 yr combined. AE shocks were better for the most part. more consistsent to rebuild. Stronger shafts. Better shock boots and last longer and cheaper to rebuild if needed. Kyosho TKI 2 shocks better finish, better bladders, better springs better bushings, but the downfall I feel is the inconsistentcy to build due to the internal wear of shock as the satin coating fades off which in turn requires you to purchase new bodies sooner than you would like to. Shocks will still perform with the wear, but just not like they did when the coating was there. Would rebuild shocks after every race, AE no dirt, could reuse the oil if i wanted to, Kyoshos were extremely dirty which I can see why the coating would fade as the oil felt like sandpaper

Last edited by mcion; 03-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've noticed a difference in the coating on newer big bore shock bodies coming from kyosho. It looks just like the coating that Fox Racing using on it's motocross and mountain bike forks. Fox calls it Kashima coating and it's basically a hard polished anodizing that fills in all the microscopic pinholes/cracks/abrasions. The coating on the newer big bores seems to be lasting much much longer than the small bores I had. It could be a combination of a better coating and I also thing that the machined pistons in the big bores are smoother and might help longevity.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great quality shocks but comes at a high price.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah AE shocks have always been crap... And the hole AE team uses Kyosho shocks. Can I flush the toilet now?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think just because you used Kyosho shocks doesn't mean you win because of it. Driver skill and luck plays the biggest role. Most of us probably can't even tell the difference.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

this is pretty ridiculous if i do say so , kyosho shocks are good , do we all need the "these shocks are better" or "kyosho are the worst" comments ?

there are alot of manufacturers out there and as many if not more shocks available for the same cars , many companies can make shocks of great quality and feel but they never seem to work the same on the track , that is what the OP is talking about i am sure

ask many many drivers of other manufacturers , it is simply the truth
Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Yeah AE shocks have always been crap... And the hole AE team uses Kyosho shocks. Can I flush the toilet now?
Good to see you have come to terms with Kyosho. Proceed with flushing AE products
Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
psr
Tech Regular

well not always but mate i rember the first rc8 shocks they were crap crap and more crap

btw the new tk2 bb shocks have a diffrent coating

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.