Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Ok this discussion leads me to a question.

I am running a TC4 and usually finish top 3 at my track. I have an X-Ray T2 009 with the Exotek lipo chassis. Would I see a benefit if I switch to the X-Ray chassis?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

If you feel that your at your limit with the TC4, then yes it would help as it has more fine tuning options. But if you still are fooling around with the TC4 and havent found that magic set-up yet, then there may not be a need to switch.

I had a coue of Pro-4's that were plenty fast, but i just felt there was nothing left i them tuning wise for me. I purchased a used VBC wildfire and immedeatly gained a couple tenths. Now after some tuning, its getting even better and there is alot left in this car.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for that input.

I believe the TC4 has a good set up in it and I like how it drives but I know it is heavy. I think I may lighten it up some and see how it responds before starting all over with my set up.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

If your at the 1550g then I wouldn't worry about it. If your trying to get to the 1450g ROAR weight, one of thr easiest things to do is get a shorty pack.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

I am way over. Closer to 1650.

I just wonder if a perfectly set up TC4 that weighed 1550 and an X-Ray perfectly set up weighing 1550 were driven by the same driver on the same track would one be faster than the other?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TA06 vta setup

We are running a loose roar vta class in the parking lot of my local hobby town USA in spring lake NC. I am using a tamiya TA06 pro and the Novak boss vta combo.
I am chewing up front tires pretty bad, only lasting about 2-3 race weekends before they are beyond what the rules state.
Is this normal wear? I was under the impression tire life would be better than this.
Also, if anyone is using this chassis as well, can you give me a good starting set up, to include gear ratio?
I am running a little behind the fast guys, I don't think my set up is where it needs to be.
I really need a good starting point, I am not great at tuneing yet and I don't want to chase it.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

I wear front tires more than rear. We race on carpet. I got about 4 race days out of my first set.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
We are running a loose roar vta class in the parking lot of my local hobby town USA in spring lake NC. I am using a tamiya TA06 pro and the Novak boss vta combo.
I am chewing up front tires pretty bad, only lasting about 2-3 race weekends before they are beyond what the rules state.
Is this normal wear? I was under the impression tire life would be better than this.
Also, if anyone is using this chassis as well, can you give me a good starting set up, to include gear ratio?
I am running a little behind the fast guys, I don't think my set up is where it needs to be.
I really need a good starting point, I am not great at tuneing yet and I don't want to chase it.
Thanks
Tires that are used for turning will wear faster. That said, you may be getting too much front traction. Are you tending to oversteer more than getting a push when cornering? Your solution probably is in the front suspension. Either too loose or too tight will cause extra wear. Excessive toe can cause them to scrub more. Ackerman is also a factor. I don't use that chassis so I can't help you there. I do race VTA and my tires last about 8 to 10 race weekends. I'm not a fast guy though. I have seen some variance with the others at my track.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nascarkeith
I wear front tires more than rear. We race on carpet. I got about 4 race days out of my first set.
You have some serious set-up issues, if you are getting only 4 race days out of a set of tires, on carpet.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mooby64
You have some serious set-up issues, if you are getting only 4 race days out of a set of tires, on carpet.
or the carpet is very abrasive
Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run tires for several race days. I can't say exactly but they last a good while on carpet. When they get close to bald I save them for asphalt. Race directors tend to be more lenient on asphalt regarding tread. Especially since tires don't last very long on the tarmac. There's even hints at leniency from the establishment. The tires tend to be a self regulating issue. New ones handle best on carpet. On asphalt bald tires hold up pretty good. Unless they pop.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tire wear

I have seen it go both ways as to tire wear.

Were a "pushy" car eats front tires on the asphalt from lack of steering and a car that turns on a dime wearing front tires to about 70% tread on carpet in a month.

The year I ran a lot, (twice a week at club level and twice a month for the Midwest Grand Slam and Hurricane Series), I used a total of 3 sets of tires during the winter from September thru March.

On asphalt, I will run the old carpet tires until they spit the insert out when they split. I don't know of any track that enforces the visible tread rule for asphalt, but maybe some do.

I have noticed as well, if you only change the front tires and not the rears in a set, the wear on the front does go up as well.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of my sources at roar said he has never received a set wire size for 25.5 so no 25.5 as of right now is roar legal to a wire size.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I probably have too much front traction.
What are the general setting for toe, shock oils and ride height?
Those should transfer between chassis.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
I probably have too much front traction.
What are the general setting for toe, shock oils and ride height?
Those should transfer between chassis.
I'm thinking one of your first steps would be to shim the front inner links up a bit.

Martin Crisp has a thread you should check out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.