Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
VTA is no longer viewed as "entry level" and the price of that success is that you're never going to discourage the use of new platforms.

This (1550g) weight thing has become akin to NASCAR's carburetor rules. It has outlived its intended purpose. Time to write rules for the current decade and not the last decade...
True, it is no longer viewed as "entry level" and slow in some areas, why? because we the "racers" let it happen and become a class with all of the latest and greatest gadgets with the latest and greatest chassis offerings out there.

have seen a lot of names running VTA all over the place this past year, that 2 years ago would have never given VTA a second glance or thought. Why do you think that may be?

It will continue this way, unless we, the (US)VTA racer say enough is enough. These are the rules for the class we enjoy running and have fun in. That's it.

The USVTA rule set allows for areas or tracks to modify the rule set to best suit their individual needs of their participants. In a sense, you don't have to lobby for a rule change of the USVTA rule set, change it to suit your individual track/clubs needs or wants. Canada runs 21.5, areas of Minnesota run 3.7v 17.5 at a reduced weight.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
+1....and I'm very biased USVTA over ROAR rules, just ask MoparSRT but I'm also getting a bit disgruntled over adding weight. To tell you the truth, we have a solid following here in Florida and I've never seen a car that wasn't stacked pretty solid with weight. Where are these racers that we're keeping this rule in place for?

In fact, my ebay order of pinewood derby tungsten weights is on the way and should arrive any day now just so I can try and minimize the space and the locations the current brass weights are taking up. I find it ironic that I'm going to this extreme just to minimize my frustration with the extra chassis "luggage".

....and thanks in advance for not getting excited over my opinion....
Easy Scott, a hell storm awaits!!! I'm with you, and feel that open discussion is not such a bad thing. And nor have I veered away from the USVTA camp. 5000-check, Novak 25.5-check, approved shell-check....
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here it is:
We did not allow the Hobbywing Justock at first. It was probably out for a year before it was allowed. It was not allowed for the exact reason that it was able to be reflashed with new software. Time went by and as far as I knew, they never had new software. We wound up making it legal since it was cheap and I figured de facto non programmable as I had never seen any new software and beyond that, there was never any reports by anyone of questionable performance. So now it sounds like I may have to piss everyone off and take it off the list.

The Tekin is similar to the HW. It is definitely re programmable, as they advertise the ability to update with the latest versions of their software. That is definitely not within the rules we have defined. A rejection is also no reflection on their products, which are high quality and well supported. I have been delaying my decision on this because I know the backlash will be huge, especially in light of the Hobbywing. It is not something I want to do since I know there are so many Tekin supporters.

As far as the weight, I'm not inclined to change anything. Like Kevin said, it makes the cars easier to handle, and there is also not a perception that a car has to be 1380g. There's still plenty of tub cars out there. You can use a full sized servo if you want, and a big receiver without penalty. Or perhaps a sweet sound system that goes vroom vroom...

The other problem with the weight is that some bodies weight more than others, because they are heavier material, or 3 piece or whatever. The last thing that needs to happen is accidentally electing lighter bodies to must have status because the weight was dropped.

There have been calls in the past to ban all graphite plate cars. There have been requests for a minimum age ("over 3 years old", etc.). There has never been a limitation on chassis, or driver for that matter. There has to be a middle ground so everybody can participate.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Thank you for a reply to my question about the Tekin. That is unfortunate, but I still have my Hobbywing to make my car USVTA legal if I need to. I asked about the weight B/C it just seems like everyone at the track always talks about "where to put it" I like seeing all the different chassis out there compete, but to be honest, for VTA of any organization, an awesomeatix my be a bit too much. But if you've got the cash for it, have at it.

Mark, I won't be there for another month or so. I have guard duty this weekend, then baby shower, then more baby stuff, and more baby stuff, and more baby stuff. Well you get the idea. Y'all have fun this weekend.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

this thread needs less talking and more pictures
Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vr6cj
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-only.html

Bring a change of pants.

-melon
Old 05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

here are some ideas on where to add weight to a old TC5
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5443.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5444.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5446.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5447.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5448.jpg  

Old 05-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

and 1 more

32 bricks (224g) to get a TC5 up to 1550 rtr

its not like LEAD is poisonous and known to cause cancer
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5449.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

+1
Here you go. These are the real cars that ran during the Golden era (1968–1972) U.S. Trans-Am Series.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This class definitely needs more Cougar....
Old 05-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by moparSRT
here are some ideas on where to add weight to a old TC5
Unless you know were to get these :-). 140 grams under the battery
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20140501_185114.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
As far as the weight, I'm not inclined to change anything ... There's still plenty of tub cars out there. You can use a full sized servo if you want, and a big receiver without penalty. Or perhaps a sweet sound system that goes vroom vroom...

The other problem with the weight is that some bodies weight more than others, because they are heavier material, or 3 piece or whatever. The last thing that needs to happen is accidentally electing lighter bodies to must have status because the weight was dropped.

There have been calls in the past to ban all graphite plate cars. There have been requests for a minimum age ("over 3 years old", etc.). There has never been a limitation on chassis, or driver for that matter. There has to be a middle ground so everybody can participate.
Well, I sure think you are right on track Rob. I'm not one of the fast guys, but I love the fact that, in the right hands, my old TC3's can race with the best of them. A $60 chassis I bought used, set up correctly, can be at the front of the pack.

For the guys that HAVE to do EVERYTHING in their power to WIN, I guess USVTA is frustrating because they know that with some rule changes, they could squeeze more speed out of their cars. For those guys, there is USGT and TC. You can tweek away in those classes.

VTA made itself what it is by being what it is: A class any racer, new or experienced, can hop into and have a blast.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

So the Tekin and GTB3 are legal now and the weight is changed to 1450?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
So the Tekin and GTB3 are legal now and the weight is changed to 1450?

People left it alone for an hour... That stuff on the bottom was starting to burn.

Better:
Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

For sure, otherwise it wouldn't be a USVTA thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.