Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I've had my Novak BOSS 25.5 motor since Christmas 2013 and just last week got it to run correctly wih the help of many people here on RCTECH, at NOVAK, and friends both at my local track here in San Antonio and in Austin! IMO Serious quality control issues at Novak since you bought your motor 4 years ago! On the other hand, my ORCA 21.5 motor ran great right out of the box just like all the other brushless motors I've had (both on road and off road) since I went brushless in 2006! Had USVTA not gone to a 25.5 motor, I'm sure the 21.5 motor I had in the car in 2007 would still be in my USVTA car today. I like USVTA, I'm just not a fan of a single source for anything, unless that source is chosen by competition and the best performer is chosen (not the lowest cost). BTW I've never had a single problem with any of those other motors either and some were Novaks.
When USVTA switched to the 25.5 motor, Novak was the only company willing to manufacture one. There wasn't any competition until recently...

Short of a few isolated cases, the Novak motors have been solid performers and served the USVTA well over the years. Both Ballistic motors I've purchased are still running strong, and they are both at least 3 years old. I really don't see the need to turn this class into yet one more TC-based "motor of the week" class that will ultimately kill off its loyal following. Besides, choosing a different motor supplier at this point wouldn't solve much, since there's always going to be a group that'll be unhappy that their motor of choice wasn't selected, and every supplier sends a few bad motors out of their factory.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
dang I missed this whole page...geez whiz...what Kevin K said...

motors again?...really
People like to be jerks and beat a dead horse.

Don't like USVTA rules? RUN ANOTHER CLASS. jeez people!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Short of a few isolated cases, the Novak motors have been solid performers and served the USVTA well over the years. Both Ballistic motors I've purchased are still running strong, and they are both at least 3 years old.
Agreed. I've owned a number of Novak motors since brushless became the standard in 2008, and while not always the quickest motors on track, they are reliable and strong. Never had an issue with the 13.5, 10.5, 25.5 motors I've used.

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
I really don't see the need to turn this class into yet one more TC-based "motor of the week" class that will ultimately kill off its loyal following. Besides, choosing a different motor supplier at this point wouldn't solve much, since there's always going to be a group that'll be unhappy that their motor of choice wasn't selected, and every supplier sends a few bad motors out of their factory.
I've raced USVTA since 2008 and while at that time it still had brushed/brushless mix rules, very quickly the 25.5 rules came in. I've not yet heard a case at the track where someone is complaining about their 25.5 motor in this class. Sure every motor requires slightly different timing/gearing to operate at its best, but that's no different to any other class or manufacturer. Having the single manufacturer ensures that the class stays as it was meant to be and is direct competition all across the country (for those who follow the rules). Keep the focus on the fun of racing close, improving your driving and chassis setup. The motor formula is proven and works.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I know a few that deserve this one lol
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-images.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

be nice...its good to inform racers of whats what in the USVTA world

the Novak 25.5 is here to stay, 2010 and still working well and growing the class
Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

For years, the beauty of mini class is it changed so little.

The best thing about VTA is the same thing...it doesn't change! If you built a car in 2010, parked it then, and wanted to come race today, it's the same now.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

To those of you who are new to VTA or specifically the USVTA as a class. The same questions get asked repeatedly with little variation. It comes in a cycle as things are settled and then new racers enter the scene not privy to the conversation and not willing to read the historical thread for this class. This leaves the noobs in this forum particularly vulnerable to ridicule and also deserving the same. It's not personal, but mocking you helps to ease the pain of having to field the same old questions over and over again. Sorry if you end up feeling the brunt of it. This is still a great class to run and if you stick with us, you will soon be able to join in on the groaning when a noobie ask that again.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Classes I think are the most "fun"

1. VTA
2. TCS mini
3. Box stock spec slash 2w.

I have 18 ready to race vehicles in eyeshot, plus a couple there's that aren't 100% built yet. Those are my favorites, with a close second for my sc10 2w truck.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

sorry guys...this is the point of the thread...questions and if you like, answers....

if you have a question, ask here and get the correct answer...not a smart azz remark...

so please ask away as much as possible and those with the correct knowledge will answer you to the best of their ability

feel free to ask as much as you want...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Classes I think are the most "fun"

1. VTA
2. TCS mini
3. Box stock spec slash 2w.

I have 18 ready to race vehicles in eyeshot, plus a couple there's that aren't 100% built yet. Those are my favorites, with a close second for my sc10 2w truck.
1. U.S.VTA
2. U.S.GT
3. VTA
Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Ok so I have a question. If a company 1. Produced a motor that was a easy to tech as the Novak, and 2. Had similar performance on the track after testing, would USVTA consider adding a second motor to the legal list?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I know that my memory is not flawless, but I do not remember that being the case in the national rule set. (USVTA rules) Now I do remember some big races not allowing front one ways, but that was in addition to the USVTA rules. Kind of like lipo sak rules are at some tracks but not in the USVTA rules.
Yes, that was it. Then our track adopted it as part of the local rules. I still have two one way bearings for TC3 in my parts box.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Ok so I have a question. If a company 1. Produced a motor that was a easy to tech as the Novak, and 2. Had similar performance on the track after testing, would USVTA consider adding a second motor to the legal list?
simple answer no(imo)....the thing ppl have to realize is by having only one motor company has seriously lead to the growth of the class. If the issues that surround the Novak motor such as what ppl find in QC, imagine if we had 2 or three more companies involved....we just doubled or tripled the same issue.

If the USVTA would allow such as the XXX motor and if only "1" person finds a little more speed in it, guess what?...years of proven racing and fun go out the window, and considering no body is police the 25.5's ie ROAR, its a turkey shoot.

The USVTA is growing for a lot of reasons, but I strongly believe its due to the simple fact...its not broken, lets keep it that way
Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
My thoughts on this is why? Why approve another motor? If it had similar performance on the track, why bother with another brand? Just because you like their logo or something?

Other than slight manufacturing tolerances, one motor/one manufacturer removes any doubt of similar performance. Novak has been around for years, is a U.S. company and supported this class to get it started. In addition, they are not acting like they have a monopoly and over-charging for their motors. Their 25.5 is the same cost as anything else out there other than the motors that come from China. Those brands could be gone tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
sorry guys...this is the point of the thread...questions and if you like, answers....

if you have a question, ask here and get the correct answer...not a smart azz remark...

so please ask away as much as possible and those with the correct knowledge will answer you to the best of their ability

feel free to ask as much as you want...
I haven't posted in VTA much lately, but I'm still a huge fan of the class. I'm with Darkside on posting clear answers for the new guys.

Motors: One motor for national rules. Allows you to make one purchase and race this class anywhere. Most tracks run USVTA rules, even in other countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.