Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Calling all VTA veterans! My local track is going to open soon and I will be the promoter/race director. Indoor asphalt track. I really want to push the VTA class as it looks awesome and is cheaper to get into. I planned on following usvta rules to the T but I have a few locals that are pushing for more relaxed rules such as any roar blinky esc and any 25.5 or even 21.5 motors. What are your thoughts on what is the better way to make this class successful and here to stay? Also note that the 2 closest tracks (about 90 min each) follow strict usvta rules.
Thanks for the input guys!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm hardly a VTA veteran, but as a VTA racer, I would prefer strict USVTA rules so that I know my car is legal at all three regional tracks. Relaxing the ESC rules to any ESC in blinky mode wouldn't bother me so much (assuming you're racing honest people), but I wouldn't want to have to buy a new motor just to race at your track, y'know?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I kind of understand going blinky ESC, but people really are a pain with motor rules, always pushing the limit higher. I don't get why some are so against the Novak motors?? If you have full USVTA tracks near you I'd go with those rules.

Sometimes you can make the people with motor issues happy by allowing a grace period to come up to whatever spec you choose so that you can get started. Make sure you set a hard date to come up to your specs though.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hopper99
Calling all VTA veterans! My local track is going to open soon and I will be the promoter/race director. Indoor asphalt track. I really want to push the VTA class as it looks awesome and is cheaper to get into. I planned on following usvta rules to the T but I have a few locals that are pushing for more relaxed rules such as any roar blinky esc and any 25.5 or even 21.5 motors. What are your thoughts on what is the better way to make this class successful and here to stay? Also note that the 2 closest tracks (about 90 min each) follow strict usvta rules.
I would go strictly VTA rules, especially starting out. It will be best in the long run, and those same people will complain later when they have to buy new equipment to race at another venue. Plus the people at the other two tracks will be likely to come race with you too knowing they are already legal.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Where is your track located ?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In some markets the USVTA Rules are hard to get to fly (read CALIFORNIA) - but out here they started a "Outlaw VTA" class this year which uses any ROAR Legal blinky ESC, any ROAR Legal 21.5 motor, and doesn't require the driver figure...and finally a VTA type class is growing out here.

There is one track that has also started a US VTA ruled class...and now that people are running some type of VTA - they are ALL getting more popular.

I say.... offer BOTH - and let racers decide. (If the numbers are small...run them both together, and score them separately...most scoring programs can combine classes)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

What ever you do. Decide Now and don;t try and change it down the road. It will be bad all around. Locally we run USVTA and it's great. No issues. But If someone comes in for a club race from out of town we generally bend the rules in the ESC department as it's just being Nice (Canadian). south of us there are a few tracks that run a different set of rules all together (17T 1cell) and it's comparable but slower then 25.5 VTA. and they are not run together at all.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

I would say stick to USVTA for speedo and motor rules; if you have to stray, stick to 25.5's and blinky stuff. If anyone wants to run 21.5, make it a USGT class. I hated that last year we had a 21.5 AND a 25.5 VTA class, it cut down on entries for VTA.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

USVTA...simple to get other racers to attend from the other 2 tracks and most of the country
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Since you are starting from scratch, run USVTA only rules for the following reasons.

- Sticking with Novak 25.5 motors will eliminate the question of what is the best 21.5 motor to run and will save your racers $$ in the long run. I ran the same Novak 25.5 for 2 years (until I dropped it & damaged the stator). The replacement rotor/motor performs the same as the original.

- A well setup 25.5 car isn't "as slow" as people think. If you are running on a technical or smaller track/layout, a USVTA car driven by a good driver is usually capable of making the A-main in USGT (21.5 motor) at an average club race day.

- Asphalt tracks can be abrasive on HPI Vintage tires. The "slower" or more controlled speeds of the 25.5 motors will cause less wear on the front tires. Less tire wear = more money in racer's pockets.

----------

If individuals are resistant to the USVTA speed control rules and don't travel, you could allow ROAR legal blinky speed controls and/or any ROAR 25.5 approved motor. Most peope who run fully legal USVTA cars have no problem traveling to a track that allows "ROAR VTA" rules. However if you aren't teching the speed controls every heat race to ensure they are in blinky, don't expect the class to be successful. I've seen too many times if you allow an adjustable speed control and aren't strict with tech, that people will cheat.

The reason why USVTA rules create successful racing at many tracks around the country is that people know that it is a level playing field. Most people don't mind getting beat by a better driver or better setup car.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-13-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm going to race at the track that Hopper is talking about. Are there any preferred chassis for these cars? What about setups? Do you guys usually run a softer setup than tc considering the lower traction and speeds?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
I'm going to race at the track that Hopper is talking about. Are there any preferred chassis for these cars? What about setups? Do you guys usually run a softer setup than tc considering the lower traction and speeds?
I run the same front/rear springs on my VTA that I do on my USGT. Traction is lower, but the weight is higher. Maybe that evens out?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Calling all VTA veterans!
Enforce the 25.5 novak motor rule, makes it easier and less expensive in the long run for everybody, as for the esc its been said over and over that there is no advatage in running any blinky esc in vta so if it helps your racers keep cost down then go for it ... It will take $300+ to transform a tc into a legal USVTA, cheap right ?? LOL
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Save yourself the headaches, go 25.5 Novak motors. There is a reason we put the esc list together, but I do understand when tracks just allow blinky mode escs. I think in the long run you have less problems with people questioning who is doing what on the escs if you use non updateable escs, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get it off the ground. But don't cave on the motor thing, you will have a much easier time if everybody runs the same motor.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
... I don't get why some are so against the Novak motors??
SpeedPassion makes a nice spec 25.5 motor which sells for under $40, sounds about right for a cheap spec class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.