Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
R/C cars and the mainstream media survey >

R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Old 02-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Well of course we WANT media attention. R/C racing can be a very fun hobby, it can also be fun to watch. But I don't think it could ever be a spectator sport, and thus justify media coverage or sponsorship beyond manufacturers of R/C products.

However, in my opinion, I believe there is great potential to expand the participants in the sport. To do so would require more promotion of races at the local level, more tracks/venues to race at.
Particularly where they are visible to the public, such as mall parking lots,
etc. A National Championship series would help to keep people involved, but doesn't help getting new people involved, which I think is they key.

Unfortunately, running races and maintaining tracks are not profitable activities. It's not a real surprise they are few in number and there is little promotion. This hobby is dominated by a few manufacturers.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

I think you'll be seeing a lot of yes answers on your survey, since everyone here would love to see the hobby in the media more often. I'd be interested to see the answers from non RC folks.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby:6

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 25+

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes if the sport has major following.

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes, Again if the sport has major following. It should not be forced or it will flop.

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?
The biggest way is media coverage. But in order for that it must be a slow news day or have a lagre meeting to report on. At our bigest race of the year CRCRC Midwinters [750+ entries gas+electric] we had a small news story on TV. But did not talk about how to get into hobby but about the group of people there and where they had come from {CA for example}. Call me nuts but I think that having 750 people running exacly same car would make for new blood in the hobby. {motor, esc, car, body, tires, ect.] That way the person that sees the tv spot can go and buy that stuff and race. Not needing to worry about getting wrong stuff. I say that stock should be spec and mod can be open. Rc is a snowball effect. If it get bigger, It wil continue to get bigger. I thing RC can become as big a lets say BMX or the like. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 4

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 5

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? i say tv ads, setting up tents during 1:1 car events nascar, champ car, etc

or just driving around in front of a rc shop because i brought my car to my hobby shop so he could see what was wrong with my car so a guy saw it and walked inside and started asking questions
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Years in the R/C car hobby:8

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present):30

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? More manufacturer involvement
Old 06-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the biggest thing is non-r/c related sponsors. If tracks could pick up big "Pepsi" sponsors and really advertised the race, I think we would see a lot more people at the races. I think taht R/C could be just as much a spectator sport as any. It just depends on how involved you can get the public. People PAY to watch fake fighting on TV, and battle-bots, why not world class r/c car drivers? Im not saying every club race should have 100 spectators, but I think the bigger races around the country have the potential to become more involved in teh public and the media.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

I think DerikRobillard got it right about danger. When you watch Motocross or whatnot, some of the excitement comes from knowing what could happen to the riders if they screw up. Even as somebody who does not race Motocross, it's cool to watch and think "Jeez those guys are crazy, they might kill themselves! I'd never do that, so I'll sit and watch." With RC, you'll never see an outsier thinking "Oh my gosh that looks so dangerous! They could get a finger cramp!". Also, with full-scale racing (or really any sport), you're watching people compete You can identify with them. When you watch an RC race (and I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the general public), you're watching toy cars compete; the general public won't be able to appreciate the amount of work, time, knowledge, and attention to detail the driver has put into what he's doing. I think that if RC is going to be televised, they should try to emphasize the driver.Also, I think that having some type of "try-me track" at large events would help, as it help a non-RCer better appreciate what's going on (granted, this wouldn't apply to TV).
Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wow...I thought they had deleted this thread! I'm suprised there's still an interest! cool
Old 06-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

People like to see fast, exciting action. I think if R/C was going to be a televised sport 1/8 buggy and nitro onroad would grab viewers attention. I think that is ESPN or even better the SPEED Channel was to cover racinf they should cover the R/C Pro Series. That way you would be watching people compete in a multi event series and have championships crowned at the end. Not to mention the excitement and crashes that take place in nitro dirt racing.