Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Losi 8ight 2.0 T

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help - Losi 8ight 2.0 T

Hey guys, a little new to the sport and was looking for some help. Recently purchased a used Losi 8ight 2.0 T kit version that was built already. Truck was really clean and l really seemed slightly used.
It came with a OS .28xz motor, Spektrum DX3E controller, Sr300 receiver, savox sterring servo (cheap $55) and a cheap ($12 throttle servo).

After looking everything over I put it on the bump box and it fired right up. I let it idle and warm up for a bit on the box and hit the gas. once I did that It would glitch and rev out of control. I could see the throttle servo glitching.

After seeing that I went ahead and replaced the throttle servo with a Futaba S9452. I also replaced the radio and receiver with the Spektrum DX3S and 3300 receiver. I replaced the battery pack also with a new venom 1600mah.
After making those changes it seemed to do the trick (or at least I though).
Ran ir for a whole sunday with no issues.

Monday I bought it to work, charged the receiver battery and everythng and took it out during my lunch break to finish off the tank from the day prior. Ran fine for the 1st 2 or 3 minutes. after that I noticed a little glitch but didn't think much of of it as the car just stopped and idled fine after a little glitch. When I turned around and jumped on it it TOOK OFF and rocked a curb at about 40mph! Looks like I got away cheaper than I expected only busting about $50 worth or front end parts.

Any ideas what could be causing this or caused this to happen?? not really anything I want to keep dealing with.

Also since this I have purchased but didn't install the new generation 3 tray, and new hitec HS-7955TG steering servo as some people have said savox sometimes inferes with the Spektrum receiver.

Id love any help!!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

well sounds like you pretty much went over most of the stuff...???
and got rid of the usual suspects for the glitch monsters..
but also take a look at the "Switch"
i know seems like an unlikley thing...??? but i have seen a few of them.
"Sometimes" not offten but once in awhile where i have seen where
you attach the switch to the radio tray sometimes they really "Crank Down"
the little screws...inside the case it moves something around so to speak.
so when there "Vibrating" it does a little Off-On thing ........

and on the Gen III case most switches work great but once in awhile
they have the wires comming out of the sides and rubs
on the "Sides of the case" sometimes they last seems like forever !!
sometimes in just a few runs...????

but sounds like all the other stuff you may already went through...
but here is a list sometimes i go through when helping someone
if they have the same problems i hope this can help a little...

check switch with new one, wiggle wires to double check.......

blow out receiver with compressed air to get dirt out (unless new)
open case if possible....

if battery known to be "Good" check it's "Wires" with Ohm meter or a
small light bulb and wiggle wires see if light "Flickers"
if so replaces wires on battery.......

check servos, some servos will draw more curent than others....
have radio tray on (engine off)
and have radio on and move servos and steering with radio
watch light on Reciever (if none on reciever watch Transponder)
and check to see if it "Flickers" if so "May need a Capacitor" to help
even out the voltage spikes and drops........
if it is "Flickering" the reciever may be reseting "Everytime" causing that
Gremlin glitch ...!!!

hope some of this can help, no particluar order but some things to also check.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

you are right on the glitching with savox servos and running spektrum so you would have to run the glitch buster but i dont see that your running any savox servos..but I do know for a fact that horizon hobby had issues with the 3300 telementry ones. That is what i used to run and I went through about 3 recievers (mind you that kept replacing them for free) and how i knew they went out cause it whould be fine and then wide open with no control. jsut like what is happening to you. I sold my spektrum and switched to airtronics not saying that is what you should do but i would switch the reciever with a non telementry one and see what happens..
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I know those Savox servos are really power hungry. I would, just for giggles, put a cheap metal gear one in the steering and see how it does. If that doesnt work see the above posts. They have good ideas and I have seen most of them.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, all good stuff that I will go through. My new parts and generation 3 tray will go in this Sunday. I will also replace the Savox steering servo with the new Hitec that I purchased to see if helps get rid of my "glitch".
What has me somewhat confused is the fact that after installing a new throttle servo and receiver the glitch happened after running for a day.
Also when I purchased the truck it did not have a switch in it so I installed a new one as I don't like to keep plugging into the receiver so the pins won't wear out and break.
If I still get the glitch this weekend after having every electronic replaced with stuff that I'd consider not that "cheap" i guess I will try a new Remote and receiver? Maybe the Futaba 4PL?
The hobby shop is trying to assure me that it's not the TX/RX so if this is the case hopefully he will swap me out. Especially since I am a small mortgage payment in already! Lol
Thanks again. I'll post my progress.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Plus 1 on the switch. They are so reliable they are the last thing you check but that happened to me just two weeks ago. Low and behold, when I pulled the switch there were two bare spots where the wires came out. Even though there were no signs of arcing I switched it out (pun intended) and the glitch was gone.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1BLADE1
well sounds like you pretty much went over most of the stuff...???
and got rid of the usual suspects for the glitch monsters..
but also take a look at the "Switch"
i know seems like an unlikley thing...??? but i have seen a few of them.
"Sometimes" not offten but once in awhile where i have seen where
you attach the switch to the radio tray sometimes they really "Crank Down"
the little screws...inside the case it moves something around so to speak.
so when there "Vibrating" it does a little Off-On thing ........

and on the Gen III case most switches work great but once in awhile
they have the wires comming out of the sides and rubs
on the "Sides of the case" sometimes they last seems like forever !!
sometimes in just a few runs...????

but sounds like all the other stuff you may already went through...
but here is a list sometimes i go through when helping someone
if they have the same problems i hope this can help a little...

check switch with new one, wiggle wires to double check.......

blow out receiver with compressed air to get dirt out (unless new)
open case if possible....

if battery known to be "Good" check it's "Wires" with Ohm meter or a
small light bulb and wiggle wires see if light "Flickers"
if so replaces wires on battery.......

check servos, some servos will draw more curent than others....
have radio tray on (engine off)
and have radio on and move servos and steering with radio
watch light on Reciever (if none on reciever watch Transponder)
and check to see if it "Flickers" if so "May need a Capacitor" to help
even out the voltage spikes and drops........
if it is "Flickering" the reciever may be reseting "Everytime" causing that
Gremlin glitch ...!!!

hope some of this can help, no particluar order but some things to also check.
Its nothing to do with savox and spectrum.I've been running them together for over a year and never had a problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Rookie

One thing I have noticed is that people do seem to have quite a bit of "glitching issues" with the spektrum DX3S and that SR3300T receiver. I didn't hook up or really have a need for the telemetery so I can rule that part out.

After I go through all th above mentioned if I still have an issue maybe I will see if my hobby store will swap it out for me with the Futaba 4PL. Seems to be pretty advanced and I can't find too many guys saying they've had problwms with them at all. (that may also be due to selling less than Spektrum)

Just really trying to avoid trashing a $1200 toy cause next time Im sure I won't get away as easy as I just did.

Thx for the input guys and I will update after installing all the new stuff this weekend.

Last edited by dann1011; 03-15-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: mis spelled a word
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Rebind the spektrum or swap receiver.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

weather you use the telementry or not has nothing to do with the glitching or freaking out...its internally...
As for the switch if the endpints are set and runing a throttle return spring when the tray shuts off it should go to a idle..then if the switch some how flips back on it should go right to neutral. He is saying the servo is stuck open. I remember when you have to bind spektrum you have to set your failsafe as you bind it. Without power it should just go limbo.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

this is what happens when you run spektrum this is your problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVVvzM13ffk
its funny
Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Seattlelife22
weather you use the telementry or not has nothing to do with the glitching or freaking out...its internally...
As for the switch if the endpints are set and runing a throttle return spring when the tray shuts off it should go to a idle..then if the switch some how flips back on it should go right to neutral. He is saying the servo is stuck open. I remember when you have to bind spektrum you have to set your failsafe as you bind it. Without power it should just go limbo.
Switch wires with damaged insulation do not always create a situation similar to "off", sometimes it just allows for increased interference from high frequency vibration transmitted through the chassis i.e. the switch wire ends up working like an antenna to transmit noise into your rx and causing it to send dirty signals to your servos. Even the best servos can become twitipated if the signal gets too dirty. And as troublesome as that can be, twitipatted is typically preferred over going limpo,
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

i have been running savox HV servos in my nitro buggy and truggy with spektrum for 5 years with out a problem, that only apply's to if you are running electric, change switch first. make sure rx antenna is atleast 3 inches long, make sure all connector contacts are tight. if they seem loose take a pair of pliers and squeeze a smig on flat. a servo twitch most of the time means a bad servo and is getting close to going bad all together (except for electric cars/trucks) running one digital and one analog servo will also make this happen.

hope this helps for you
Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

LOL, i still get "Amazed by how No one really READS" before posting...LOL
i think a few even did it on my post....LOL

the guy had a "Problem" with "Glitching"
he wanted to know what he could do...not have people say anything about
his "Equipment" he needed help to find out
"What to look for a Glitch"..........LOL

i acually got mail from a few Yo-Yo's telling me had nothing to do with his
Spektrum stuff....??????........LOL

1) and i checked with a Microscope,but i did not see anything in "My Post"
about "Spektrum Equipment".......?????????

maybe it was hiding under one of the letters??? maybe a letter "T" or something...LOL

i "Never Mentioned" Spektrum stuff.....LOL HAHHaHha HaH hah Ha !!!!

2) I never mentioned an "Absolute" was a problem with any part of a
"Particular" part of the Underlying "Circut"
ie. the switch-reciever-battery......

HAhAHh ahaH ha hAh AHha...!!!! people crack me up....HahAHaHhaH ...!!!

however i did see almost "Exactly" similar thing with another person
at our local track...i know isn't it "AMAZING".....(val-talk...OMG..!!)

they had the same problem with an "Airtronics System"
with a MT4 and the R-461 reciever......
doesnt make it bad...??? just ment he had a "Problem SOMEWHERE"...???
in his case it "Happen to be a "Wire" from his Battery" along the Middle
of the Wire.....

if one "Reads Carefully".........(but no one does in these fourmus...LOL)
you'll begin to "Understand it is for a General guide to look for Other things"
not find Fault in a particular "System".......

for the record, it doesnt matter if it is a Spektrum? Futaba? KO? Airtronics?
etc. etc. and any other radio out there i havent mentioned...LOL
i seen this happen to all of them...???

and no the Switch is not the problem or cause...??? maybe for "YOU"
but for our friend "Having the Glitching Problem"
it could be something he can check maybe it may be "One"
of a "VARIABLE" other items in his system that "COULD BE WRONG"....LOL

but sometimes it just may be something so simple "We Over Look It"......
thats where "Wisdom" and "Knowledge" come into play........

for our bud Dan 1011
i hope you find the problem i know tracking those glitching stuff can be a pain...
good luck.........
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dann1011
Hey guys, a little new to the sport and was looking for some help. Recently purchased a used Losi 8ight 2.0 T kit version that was built already. Truck was really clean and l really seemed slightly used.
It came with a OS .28xz motor, Spektrum DX3E controller, Sr300 receiver, savox sterring servo (cheap $55) and a cheap ($12 throttle servo).

After looking everything over I put it on the bump box and it fired right up. I let it idle and warm up for a bit on the box and hit the gas. once I did that It would glitch and rev out of control. I could see the throttle servo glitching.

After seeing that I went ahead and replaced the throttle servo with a Futaba S9452. I also replaced the radio and receiver with the Spektrum DX3S and 3300 receiver. I replaced the battery pack also with a new venom 1600mah.
After making those changes it seemed to do the trick (or at least I though).
Ran ir for a whole sunday with no issues.

Monday I bought it to work, charged the receiver battery and everythng and took it out during my lunch break to finish off the tank from the day prior. Ran fine for the 1st 2 or 3 minutes. after that I noticed a little glitch but didn't think much of of it as the car just stopped and idled fine after a little glitch. When I turned around and jumped on it it TOOK OFF and rocked a curb at about 40mph! Looks like I got away cheaper than I expected only busting about $50 worth or front end parts.

Any ideas what could be causing this or caused this to happen?? not really anything I want to keep dealing with.

Also since this I have purchased but didn't install the new generation 3 tray, and new hitec HS-7955TG steering servo as some people have said savox sometimes inferes with the Spektrum receiver.

Id love any help!!
I know you guy think it might be a glitch but it seem like you got all new gear there to take care of it. I wondering if the engine might be a little high on the low side cause you say you jumped on it and it took off. that mean to me you hit the gas and she went way faster then thought it would. IM not saying it was your driving at all but maybe an out of tuned motor on the idle gap it might be open too much. I would also check you linkage too and make sure it not binding any where and that it is level with you arm on the carb. Might want to check endpoint on the radio also they might be to far off. And some time it the pull the carb out to far, it will not slide back in when you get off the gas. Make sure you have a spring or fuel tubbing keeping the carb closed at idle. I did have this problem once on a used car also hit the gas. she took off like a jack rabbit wide idle gap and wrong linkage setup with my used one i had. The linkage was setup to where it looked like a glich to with how it was rigged all out of wack and i mean way out wack. Just something else to check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.