Jr Propr R-1

Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I thought the R1 came out in 97..that would make it 8 years,not that it matters.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:59 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by Chris08527
wyd,

you have the pcm version

does that depend on the module you use or the reciever or both???

thanks,
Chris08527
I'm not 100% sure on that. I know if you need a PCM receiver to use the PCM function on the radio. If you use a FM receiver then you just change the modulation in the radio program to run FM instead of PCM.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bought the R-1 Pro in March 2004 and it has been great. I have broke the steering spring twice. I made new springs from a old retractable pen. The springs are a little heavier. I haven't had a ny problems since.
wyd always had problems with glitching. Not since he got his R-1. I use the pcm in my TC and use my othe JR recievers I had from my old JR radio in my off-road vehicles.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:36 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by SRW141
I bought the R-1 Pro in March 2004 and it has been great. I have broke the steering spring twice. I made new springs from a old retractable pen. The springs are a little heavier. I haven't had a ny problems since.
wyd always had problems with glitching. Not since he got his R-1. I use the pcm in my TC and use my othe JR recievers I had from my old JR radio in my off-road vehicles.
Yes I can vouch for glitching and I know you have seen me bitch about it on many occasions but none since I got the R-1 PCM. The days of that crap are gone!!!!!!!!!! Should have known JR was the cure for all my problems as I use to use the JR 756 and same results, no glitching ever.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree I watch everybody get glitched at one bad spot in our track but my R-1 never ever glitches.

I don't find it heavy compared to other comp. radios. it is a bit confusing at first but I quickly found all the features I use. there is alot of advanced features that I probably will never use. But I wouldn't trade it for any other radio.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The reciever is the only part that is different to have the PCM version, just change the modulation in the radio if you have the PCM reciever. On the weight, I personally do not notice it but others that have driven my cars using the radio comment on how its not heavy even though it looks heavy but they also really like the balance of the weight. My son and I have been using the R-1 since it came out.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

I have also has a spring break, but only on the Pro version of the radio, called service and they sent me out 2 free of charge the next day.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jeff Ford
I have also has a spring break, but only on the Pro version of the radio, called service and they sent me out 2 free of charge the next day.
I ended up getting a ball point pen spring and cutting it to size.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jeff Ford
JR absolutely refused to ship me out springs...I would have had to send the radio to them to have it repaired...

I was able to salvage a spring from a buddies abandoned airplane radio, but shortly thereafter sold my R1 as I refused to be held hostage without a radio while waiting 4-6 weeks for my radio to go through customs, be repaired, get shipped back through customs and then allow me to continue racing...

I now use a Multiplex 707 and have had no issues with glitching, while many others have suffered issues with various other brands. The 707 is lighter, butit doesn't seem likea big deal to me, but the response speed is SO FAST on the multiplex....it's like instantly upgrading your servos

When the Spektrum system is available, I'll be looking for a new radio again....and due to the number of JR compatible receivers I have (I won't be changing all 8 of my active cars over at thesame time) I'll belooking for a radio that is compatible with the JR receivers..

Who knows..i could very easily end up with an R1 yet again
Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am on my second one. I liked the bling factor of the GOLD, so I had to have it. I sold my old one for enough to purchase the new radio. The price is not that bad when you consider the features. I love it for monster trucks with rear steering. I can use the two side switches to turn on, and off the rear steering, and to reverse the rear steering.

The radio is the same pcm (called ppm in book), fastppm, spcm, and zpcm. These are all controlled in the primary setup menu screen. The R1 also works well with futaba recievers, just use the jr crystals.

I have the new spectrum module on order for it. That will make it very nice.

The weight seems to be a little off, but more forward than some may like.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh yeah, a friend has broke that spring a couple times. He sent the radio in, they replaced it. He broke it again, and used a throttle return spring.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like I was lucky to get the springs sent to me, but I had recently met the propriatory products manager for Horizon and just e-mailed him. I did find a spring that works at the hardware store and always have a spare as an Insurance policy but have not broken one since carrying a spare. The originals all seem to break right at the bend for the hook. There are suppose to have corrected the problem since the early Pro models.