Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS 12 TzR

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yodace
Also is this the engine I can use with AD2(#11373 MAX-12TZ(P)-T3)?
11373 is a sg (pilot shaft) engine. You need a standard crank engine.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im just about to break in my TZ 3port. I have been asking around about break in methods and have found two primary responses. 1. Follow the manual, and 2. WOT method.

Ive read josh cyruls WOT method but am a little afraid to do it. I was under the impression that it was bad to rev the engine too high while breaking in?

The article reccomends 'opening the top end needle 1 full turn', does this mean 1 full turn out from the existing stock setting. The manual says to start the engine with the existing factory setting.

The article then suggests
'Open the carburetor to full throttle and hold it there. Doesn't holding the wheels of the ground while running at high speed damage the engine? The article says run the engine for 3 tanks at full throttle. Does this mean on the track or still off the ground?

I understand the logic behind the WOT method. I know that under rich settings the engine cant produce much RPM but i am still hestitant to try this method. If you could answer my questions i will more confident about trying this method.

Last edited by caggers; 06-02-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by caggers
Im just about to break in my TZ 3port. I have been asking around about break in methods and have found two primary responses. 1. Follow the manual, and 2. WOT method.

Ive read josh cyruls WOT method but am a little afraid to do it. I was under the impression that it was bad to rev the engine too high while breaking in?

The article reccomends 'opening the top end needle 1 full turn', does this mean 1 full turn out from the existing stock setting. The manual says to start the engine with the existing factory setting.

'Open the carburetor to full throttle and hold it there. Doesn't holding the wheels of the ground while running at high speed damage the engine? The article says run the engine for 3 tanks at full throttle. Does this mean on the track or still off the ground?

I understand the logic behind the WOT method. I know that under rich settings the engine cant produce much RPM but i am still hestitant to try this method. If you could answer my questions i will more confident about trying this method.
Yeah when rich the rev is not so high so it'll be okat for the con rod.

Open one turn from the stock position.

I use the WOT method but I don't run as rich as Josh suggested. I tried to keep the temperature above 175F and I use WOT for a second or so then release for 2-3 seconds and then repeat.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Should the clutch engage when running at WOT, or will it be to rich?
Also cyrul suggests running at WOT for 3 tanks, how will i keep the engine running when its that rich-wont it just bogg.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Should the clutch engage when running at WOT, or will it be to rich?
Also cyrul suggests running at WOT for 3 tanks, how will i keep the engine running when its that rich-wont it just bogg.
Clutch may or may not engage depending on your setting.

You are suppose to open the top end until it bogg, then close a bit and start again. Personally I think that might be too rich and cold and I run it according to temperature.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Should it continue to bogg throughout the tanks, or should i be able to go WOT for an extended period without bogging?

Sorry for the questions but i wanna do it right!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Should it continue to bogg throughout the tanks, or should i be able to go WOT for an extended period without bogging?

Sorry for the questions but i wanna do it right!
If you close the top a quarter turn or so after you richen so much that it dies, you will be able to run WOT for the entire tank without bogging.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

I personally feel that running it very rich at WOT is just to flush out nasties in the engine. Not much breaking in in terms of heat cycling.

The factory setting on the TZ is already very rich. start the engine with the factory setting and go from there. Basically, if you're running WOT with the wheels off ground, you should run it rich enough so that the wheels do not spin too fast, ie. the clutch engagement is very little. This varies with clutch type also.

When I ran mine at WOT, it was so rich that when I put the car down on the ground, it barely moves. Temp was at around 70C only.

I only ran one tank of very rich WOT, Then I proceeded with heat cycling...

Just my 2 cents....
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Oh, one more thing. The manual says to run 2l of fuel through to complete the run in. I think thats a bit excessive. That's like 25 tanks on a 1/10 on road car...

What do you guys think?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

I supposed this is the tricky part of the WOT method. What I normally do is to the increase the rpm gradually via the controller and at the same time richen the HSN. Richen it till the clutch just barely engage and the wheels are turning slowly at WOT. I normally go through at least 5-6 tanks via WOT before running it on the track (have to lean it so it moves!) in a rich setting before slowly leaning the HSN for power. Usually will run 3-4 tanks on the track.

Its better to your time and break in the engine proper than to rush through the whole process as this will ensure longetivity in your engine.

Rgds

Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've run in both the 12TZ's I have using the WOT method with no problem, I placed a small fan in front of the engine (to simulate normal air flow). I did the first 2 tanks at WOT with the top end needle set so rich that it would almost flame out, the next 3 tanks again at WOT but slightly leaner and at a higher rpm, the 2nd & 3rd tank I screwed the top end needle in until I reached 90 deg Cel.

Still going strong after 2 gallons
Old 06-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Can i use any other brand turbo plug on the TZ or does it only take OS ones?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

The OS plugs are excellent, if you can get them I recommend the P6 or the P7
Old 06-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cant get OS plugs
Old 06-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can i use any other brand turbo plug on the TZ or does it only take OS ones?
try the new OS turbo hot plug, the P3. it's the hottest turbo plug for the OS engines...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.