Search
Like Tree6Likes

Team Durango DEST210R thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Ekt,

Is www.durangofansite.com your site? Is so, I guess I read about you. Pretty cool to be recognized by Team Durango.

Originally Posted by socal23
Yeah I guess its. A cheap fix. So now that I need to throw that one in the trash what should I buy a gear diff or ball diff? I am running 17.5 with a maby on 13.5. And if anyone says ball diff what type of runtime are you getting out of them? 3-6months or just a few weekends?
I use a ball diff because that's what came with the kit. I guess it depends if you want the convenience of being able to just change oil or the easier adjustability of a ball diff.

I just rebuilt my diff with bfast rings and balls. I was told it should last 3-4 months but I should clean it every month or so to make it last longer. I guess it also depends on what type of surface you normally run on.

I like building so I'd still go with a ball diff if I had to get a new one but I think gear diff's can be just as good.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 AM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, it is my website. Just something I thought up one day and have slowly been working on.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Can anyone else ahead some light on the better/worse of the gear vs ball diff? We usually run on indoor clay. High bite most people run slicks at the tracks.

And a side note anyone making aftermarket rear arms? I broke a left and right last weekend. I ordered 2 spare sets I know its good to have spares but these things break like glass lol

Thanks for the input guys
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Need some setup advise .
Running on loomy outdoor track :
Currently have battery 2" from rear
Rear. Stock springs to inside on tower 30wt oil kit pistons
3deg tow in ;neg2deg camber /stock squat

Front. Stock springs stood up 40wt kit pistons
Minimum caster insert (can't remember the value) low pin
Only running this in 17.5 novice class (my 7yr)
I can't keep it from fish tailing in the corners OR accelerating strait .
No binding anywhere tried adding 2oz in back corners but just made it harder to catch wonce it broke loose (tho it did have more initial grip in rear)
Have carvers in the front and I've ran city blocks/doubles in rear .
What am I missing . it was even a little loose on clay indoor but way better
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Can anyone else ahead some light on the better/worse of the gear vs ball diff? We usually run on indoor clay. High bite most people run slicks at the tracks.

And a side note anyone making aftermarket rear arms? I broke a left and right last weekend. I ordered 2 spare sets I know its good to have spares but these things break like glass lol

I run on the same type of track. All of the fast guys at my track use ball diffs.

You may want to ask the diff question in the DESC210 or DEX210 thread. Same transmission. It's really personal preference nowadays though.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Need some setup advise .
Running on loomy outdoor track :
Currently have battery 2" from rear
Rear. Stock springs to inside on tower 30wt oil kit pistons
3deg tow in ;neg2deg camber /stock squat

Front. Stock springs stood up 40wt kit pistons
Minimum caster insert (can't remember the value) low pin
Only running this in 17.5 novice class (my 7yr)
I can't keep it from fish tailing in the corners OR accelerating strait .
No binding anywhere tried adding 2oz in back corners but just made it harder to catch wonce it broke loose (tho it did have more initial grip in rear)
Have carvers in the front and I've ran city blocks/doubles in rear .
What am I missing . it was even a little loose on clay indoor but way better
My car feels pretty stable I run Shorty's though but 17.5 also.
30deg (0 value inserts) castor in front/slight toe out
3 deg 0 anti sqaut hinge pin holder
Rear hub inserts 2.5
Battery about centered
Front suspension in kit spots 35wt AE oil
Rear suspension in kit spots 30wt rear
--Still trying a few things but it was very stable and trailed in straight line.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Tks but actually I goofed ment to post in the desc thread . tks tho
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's MY opinion based on my observations. I run on a med-high bite, technical, small-medium sized indoor clay track.

I have switched back and forth from a gear diff (ranging in fluid weights of all sorts) and a ball diff (using quality and lesser quality carbide balls, plates and ceramic balls for the thrust bearing).

Gear diff - Great power delivery especially for jumps that require instant throttle response. Didn't have to worry about maintenance for weeks if track conditions remained fairly consistent. Tunability wasn't great for changing track conditions, I had to change the oil if I wanted to adjust for varying levels of grip. I found I had problems on looser conditions as the truck wanted to diff out -- meaning the inside tire would balloon or unload. Cornering wasn't always predictable as well as straight line performance

Ball diff - Since these differentials rely on friction they do slip. Slipping causes increased wear and tear. Power delivery isn't always instant which is why the carpet guys tend to use gear diffs. When track conditions change all I do is tighten or loosen the diff nut. I do have to rebuild when it feels gritty. Rebuilding requires time and patience. As for performance I can honestly say I am faster and more consistent with a ball diff, although some of the fast guys at the track run gear diffs. I notice ball diffs perform well when cornering and straight line stability. If I can find a way to eliminate the frequent rebuilds inherent with a ball diff I would say no contest. Ball diff wins.

Currently I run BFast carbide balls, BFast plates and Bfast ceramic thrust balls. From what I've heard they last longer... time will tell for me atleast.

Hope this helps
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone else stripping plastic servo arms? I went through two tonight and just ordered an aluminum one. Are these thing by nature hard on them? I do hit a lot of walls!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oops, post meant for desc210 thread.....

Last edited by Luuke; 05-12-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

I put an aluminum arm on the servo and it is a beast. I also moved all my rear carrier spacers to the front to improve stability. I wish there was a way to move the shocks to the rear like I did with my dex210.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Won the first points race of season this past Friday night with my ST. I do need to get an Exotek RR hanger on this thing though. In one of my quals the rear hinge pin came out and neither hanger was broken....these things must flex a lot to have that happen! Thankfully in my main I had no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

I forgot to put the screws back in the servo mount! Glad there was no damage. GH Racing makes the servo arm I got from AMain, and it is a beast.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Are there plan for a aluminum chassis any time soon
Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Teaser shot! Notice anything different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.