Wiki Posts
Search

what is a good oval carpet car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default what is a good oval carpet car?

I'm trying to figure out what the best oval carpet cars are. The track is 48x82 oval carpet that I am racing on. Right now i have been using an xray t3 but i see that there are other cars with the batteries on the inside and so on. I don't know much about oval racing as i normally race offroad outdoor tracks.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

so far i've been looking at the calandra battle axe 2.0. Not sure if that's good or not. Looking for many opinions on other cars out there.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

TOP RACING has an oval car that was designed by Josh Cyrul. This is an unknown class for TOP but they have been very competitive with all of Josh's other designs. You may want to check it out.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Hi, You can't beat the Calandra Racing Concepts Battle Axe chassis.
Regards
Norman
Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

will the battle axe be rough to get parts for? I usually have to order parts anyways because i normally drive stuff the lhs can't get so its not a big deal as long as i can find parts online somewhere.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Crc is very easy to get parts for from their website or other sites like amain or stormer
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

You'll find a very active and robust forum about oval over at Hobby Talk. More than you'll ever want to know about every chassis/motor/tire/track out there.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you're going for Calandra (CRC) I'd wait a little. They're looking to put out a new car soon. Kenny Roberts is currently running a prototype car mainly in Plattsburgh NY and he's very fast with it. Plus the current Battle Axe 2.0 has too much chassis flex in my opinion which makes it an inconsistent handling car especially if you're running a faster class.

The most sought-out for car right now is the KSG SCX. This car has won pretty much every major oval class at the Snowbirds. The TOP car is right up there too. Then there are a bunch of conversion kits that are very fast. Go to hobbytalk.com in the oval product support section and you'll find lots of info about a bunch of brands. http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/forumdisplay.php?f=133
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

CRC has good parts support and the parts are interchangeable with the road race cars for the most part. I would wait for the BA 3.0. The BA 2.0 is a great asphalt car, but was designed for 2 cell. now with one cell on carpet you need a car with more offset to do well in the faster classes. The BA 2.0 has no offset. Offset is how far the pivot for the rear end is to the left of the chassis center line.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

The KSG SCX is the hottest car out right now. They can be hard to find and expensive to buy even used, Parts are not nearly as readily available either, not to detour you, the car is a rocket.

For an average guy on a budget I would recommend the Hyperdrive Pro4. As it sits it is a very competitive chassis another advantage is the Pro5 will be out soon and I'm certain there will be a conversion available for guys that have a pro4 as they use the same front end and rear pod.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

lol i already ordered the battle axe.....