Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Touring Car Handling Issues >

Touring Car Handling Issues

Touring Car Handling Issues

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Touring Car Handling Issues

Hi. I have a bit of a noob question. I am having problems getting my TA05 to handle properly. I was going to go to the TA05 thread but I dont think many people would see it there.

Im driving on concrete and am using sweep 36 tires. I have a spool up front and the rear diff is adjusted as soft as it can go without excessive slipping.

Basically the rear of the car spins out way too easy going in and out of corners.

Ive tried every adjustment on the car I can think of. Different springs, shock positions, no sway bars, droop, ride height and its not really helping the problem.

One thing I have tried which worked well was fitting smaller diameter wheels up front (62mm)compared to the rear (64mm). Like this the car handled good and I could accellerate harder out of corners and come into corners much harder without spinning out the rear. The car was generally very easy to drive aswell. I want to replicate this handling by using the same size wheels all around.

I dont think its a gearing difference thing front to back that the different sized tires are helping with, because Ive tried overdriving the front through gearing and it didnt make the same difference if anything at all.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

what is the rear toe angle? not enough rear toe in maybe? i had one so bad it would spin out going in a straight line
Old 02-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by azeroth
what is the rear toe angle? not enough rear toe in maybe? i had one so bad it would spin out going in a straight line
The rear toe in is standard. Straight line it not too bad could be better aswell though.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

yes which mount do you have in it? the standard kit has 2 toe in according to assembly manual i would verify the right one is in it 2 should be enough but you could change it to the next step up or 2 and see it is any better.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by azeroth
yes which mount do you have in it? the standard kit has 2 toe in according to assembly manual i would verify the right one is in it 2 should be enough but you could change it to the next step up or 2 and see it is any better.
Ill give it a go. The rear toe is about the only thing I havent changed yet. According to the manual, I think standard is the least toe in and it goes up 4 stages from there. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roylo
Ill give it a go. The rear toe is about the only thing I havent changed yet. According to the manual, I think standard is the least toe in and it goes up 4 stages from there. Thanks.
Use a front diff. keeps the front tires cooler and more consistent and much easier to drive. And the rear diff should not slip at all. its where you get most of your power from. if its slipping its creating heat. which may be your problems.
And also have the back to free lets the outer tire roll easier and may cause you to spin.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

i have a ta05 and race it lots and have lots of knowledge. i need to know your whole setup on your car (camber, front toe, rear toe, springs front and rear, shock oil, droop) i suspect its a shock oil/spring issue with some serious droop issues. lmk. feel free to pm me.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also had a similar problem with my ver2, for me it turns out to be that the wheel hex in the wheel which was rounded (cheap wheels) so it became mostly 3 wheel drive.
Check the tightness of the diff and make sure that the drive shafts are free when turning as i had a problem where too much crap got cogged up and cause the car to spin due to it basically binding one side when turning

Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default car handling

I used to have a very similar issue (xray t3) with the oversteering/spinning at corner exit whether on or neutral power. Increased the rear camber for increased grip. Sorted out perfectly for me.
However curious if it is losing rear traction on breaking/into corner as well.
Check if anything is binding and balance left vs right. Not quite sure if this is specifically a setup thing if it does it on all occasions but increase rear camber and see what it does.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

I had a similar problem on a car a while back, very frustrating. It ended up being a bent hingepin causing one side to bind. Worth a look.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replys guys. The rear toe is something I havent tried yet. Its at the standard setting which is the lowest I think its 2 degrees. Going from my discription will extra toe in help?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by roylo
Thanks for the replys guys. The rear toe is something I havent tried yet. Its at the standard setting which is the lowest I think its 2 degrees. Going from my discription will extra toe in help?
2deg is pretty much the standard. it's what i run and i'm happy with it.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

i run 2 degrees of rear toe and no problems with that. what is your ride height the all electronics/battery installed?? after you measure that, measure your droop and post those or send them to me in a pm. i have a good setup on my stuff...took second place in the TCS race in omaha nebraska in gt3 and 3 in the ff03 class..i know my tamiyas!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Handling issues

Extra toe will not add traction it will just make your car under steer through the corner and at exit. If you are spinning out in middle or exit it's because you have too much traction at the front when compared to the rear. So you either decrease camber (which decreases traction and steering) to front or increase camber to rear. When the car is leaning its the camber that is primarily being effected.

I would leave the toe alone.

But check the hinge pin first. They don't take much punishment to bend. And make sure your blocks aren't bent while you are at it.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Castle Hill? If so start by throwing the sweeps and getting some sorex 32's or lower depending on....

Which motor class are you running?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.