Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TD DNX408 on DEEP discount!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Sounds like your car was over sprung or under ”packed” (too thin of shock oil) of all of things I've heard about the car, that is a first
Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

its not really fair to compare the dnx handling to the dex...but the issues I was having weren't due to suspension setup(i realize that my bounce comment might have sounded like i was referring to the suspension, but i meant it tends to bounce around or cartwheel easily and much longer than your typical buggy..the wing is partially responsible, but the plastics are also incredibly flexible so the arms are springy if you land off camber..and the chassis has very little flex as well) The car handled good when the wheels were on the ground..but it was a very unforgiving vehicle.
Having a forgiving vehicle is huge...not all of us can drive completely fault free all the time.
I had my lap times drastically improve when i found a car I was comfortable with, there is something to be said for having a car that responds predictably in all situations. Even in videos of lutz driving the dex, it could easily be described as precarious..
...then again, none of this could apply to the dnx..never driven the nitro version..
trust me i wanted the car to work out for me, its a beautifully engineered buggy and is nice to work on.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

$349.99 here in Australia which includes free shipping for any Aussies who are interested in trying one.

http://www.venom-group.com.au/dnx408...ff-road-buggy/
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hefe
its not really fair to compare the dnx handling to the dex...but the issues I was having weren't due to suspension setup(i realize that my bounce comment might have sounded like i was referring to the suspension, but i meant it tends to bounce around or cartwheel easily and much longer than your typical buggy..the wing is partially responsible, but the plastics are also incredibly flexible so the arms are springy if you land off camber..and the chassis has very little flex as well) The car handled good when the wheels were on the ground..but it was a very unforgiving vehicle.
Having a forgiving vehicle is huge...not all of us can drive completely fault free all the time.
I had my lap times drastically improve when i found a car I was comfortable with, there is something to be said for having a car that responds predictably in all situations. Even in videos of lutz driving the dex, it could easily be described as precarious..
...then again, none of this could apply to the dnx..never driven the nitro version..
trust me i wanted the car to work out for me, its a beautifully engineered buggy and is nice to work on.
If the car is bouncing out of the bumps and ruts like that then you are over sprung and probably over dampened. The suspension can't keep up with the bumps if you don't let it move fast enough. It definitely sounds like setup. As for the arms...yes their plastic in general is flexy but with as thick as those arms are it really isn't a problem. The chassis on the DNX has very little flex as it is 5mm thick! But so long as the suspension is setup and designed correctly this isn't a problem. On the DEX the chassis is very thin at only 3mm thick and should flex a good deal more than the DNX. As for the suspension...between the DEX and DNX it is identical. Everything that bolts on to the front and rear bulkheads is the same on both cars. The different parts are the chassis, chassis braces, center drive shafts, and battery mounts.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Lastly the differentials slide right out of the car by just removing a few screws and sway bars rather than having to take the whole car apart to get to them.
I had an awesome example of this, I found a Bearing collapsed in the rear bearing tube while the final before mine was on and I was warming the engine up a couple of weeks ago! so I left it running on my starter box and changed the rear diff there and them, took about 3 mins!!!!! what other car can you do that with!?? pretty much any other car out there it would have meant taking the whole back end apart and killing the engine! I even revved the engine with the rear diff out to make sure it kept running sweet!

I love this car, handles great, flies through the corners and i'm not going anywhere else!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Tech Adept

If you write off a car, any car, after a few weeks, you have a problem.
Of course the car is going to need you to tune it to your driving style. The factory setup is not the same on every car.
Selling a brand new buggy after a few weeks sound just lazy to me. You're spoiled and not trying hard enough.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
If the car is bouncing out of the bumps and ruts like that then you are over sprung and probably over dampened. The suspension can't keep up with the bumps if you don't let it move fast enough. It definitely sounds like setup. As for the arms...yes their plastic in general is flexy but with as thick as those arms are it really isn't a problem. The chassis on the DNX has very little flex as it is 5mm thick! But so long as the suspension is setup and designed correctly this isn't a problem. On the DEX the chassis is very thin at only 3mm thick and should flex a good deal more than the DNX. As for the suspension...between the DEX and DNX it is identical. Everything that bolts on to the front and rear bulkheads is the same on both cars. The different parts are the chassis, chassis braces, center drive shafts, and battery mounts.

gotta love rctech...if you don't like the performance characteristics of something, its obviously user error...hahah

Originally Posted by Huleboer
If you write off a car, any car, after a few weeks, you have a problem.
Of course the car is going to need you to tune it to your driving style. The factory setup is not the same on every car.
Selling a brand new buggy after a few weeks sound just lazy to me. You're spoiled and not trying hard enough.
yeah, you're right, I may have not given it enough time.
i tried a few different things to make it more forgiving but i couldn't get close to the losi i was familiar with
nothing fixed the issues I was having so I had to give up on it.
I owned the losi 8ight for a few months and it was the only newer 1/8 scale i had driven at the time. When the dex came out, i liked the design and a local friend had picked one up and had an extra kit, so i figured I would take it off his hands. I assumed that the buggy would be able to perform at least as good as the 8ight (which i never really had super dialed to begin with)...well, when i took it on the track, I was impressed by its turning and on/off power steering, just wasn't very stable for me.

I finally just gave up on it and got a kyosho(after getting to drive someone else's)..never been happier.

like you said, it just didn't suit me....but I know there are others out there who love theirs and its a very well designed buggy.

Last edited by hefe; 02-21-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: sdg
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

it's not that we don't believe you. from the original description it sounded like suspension. and i was just looking to help and let onlookers know there are successes being had with the chassis. if you couldn't get the car on for you, then it wasn't for you and thats fine.

and about the sales, i don't think its durango specific. anytime any new car comes out, every1 buys it, then 80% sell it.. just the way the hobby works imo there was a pretty good ratio put up in my local thread:

"2:1 sell within 30 days
5:1 sell within 14 days
100:1 actually keep and race more than 6 times."

Last edited by t8rtot; 02-20-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I considered pulling the trigger on one of these while the sale was going on, but when you can buy new RC8.2's on Ebay for $430 shipped to your door, why bother?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

quality, pure sexiness, non copycat design, and some ppl don't like to be apart of the mold.

to me, Associated cars have no "soul" they just drive.. not necessarily a bad thing but i'm looking for something different
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by t8rtot
quality, pure sexiness, non copycat design, and some ppl don't like to be apart of the mold.

to me, Associated cars have no "soul" they just drive.. not necessarily a bad thing but i'm looking for something different
And of course the best aspect of the DNX 408, no winning record!!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tony Corley
And of course the best aspect of the DNX 408, no winning record!!
that's laughable at best.. this is just one driver
http://lutzinator.com/wp-content/upl...sentation1.jpg

not including Jorn and Hupo who just won Reedy and the DNX is currently the Austrian/German Champ i believe..
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by t8rtot
that's laughable at best.. this is just one driver
http://lutzinator.com/wp-content/upl...sentation1.jpg

not including Jorn and Hupo who just won Reedy and the DNX is currently the Austrian/German Champ i believe..
Chill, it was just a joke, hence the big smilies. .

Last edited by Tony Corley; 02-20-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hefe
gotta love rctech...if you don't like the performance characteristics of something, its obviously user error...hahah
Considering no one else has reported issues even close to yours, and not knowing your level of proficiency that's really all we can deduce. Given the design's commonality with the DNX408 and the stiffer chassis of the DNX408 someone should have noticed those same issues.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

thats understandable.

there are a couple people who have commented with similar issues. I may be the only person who finds it precarious, but i have seen others locally and on youtube that display the same characteristics as mine. I believe those characteristics are intrinsic to this buggy's design.
AGAIN, this is based on my experience with the dex..the dnx has a wider layout and may be more stable based on this factor alone.
not trying to argue with anyone here..we all know that certain cars suit some people better than others. And I have nothing bad to say about the durability or ease of wrenching on the dex.

Last edited by hefe; 02-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.