Integy Indi Dyno ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:47 AM
drx
Tech Regular

Default Integy Indi Dyno ???

I'd like to know more about this dyno.

Specifically,

What does this Dyno return with an individual run (RPM, watts, etc?) and what can you gather from these metrics? Can you calculate torque?

What are it's limitations? IOW what CAN'T it do?

Finally is it worth owning?

thanx

</chaz>
Old 01-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Integy Indi Dyno ???

Originally posted by drx

Specifically,

What does this Dyno return with an individual run (RPM, watts, etc?) and what can you gather from these metrics? Can you calculate torque?

thanx

</chaz>
I would get the yokomo MS system or the ORION /PEAK dyno . I had the dyno in question and didnt like it to much. The yokomo one works better but the Orion / peak dyno is more compact and also stores results of each motor that you check.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by drx

Specifically,

thanx

</chaz>
I would reccomend the PEAK / Orion Motor Tester. The Red PEAK unit has extra functions over the black Orion. Ability to store results is really nice to use.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by drx

Specifically,

thanx

</chaz>
It is not really a dyno, just a motor checker. There is no load (flywheel or slave motor) so the data is not much use. Just use it to analyse the condition of your motors and run your com lathe and break in brushes. The com condition function is really good if you are having glitching probs.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Personally I feel better using a motor tester that tests the motor lying on its side, coz thats how the motor runs in our cars. When you turn the motor vertically or just simply change the angle of the motor when holding it in your hands, you can see rpm and current draw changes.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Integy Indi Dyno ???

Originally posted by rocketron
I would reccomend the PEAK / Orion Motor Tester. The Red PEAK unit has extra functions over the black Orion. Ability to store results is really nice to use.
Hmmm. As far as I can see on Orions website, there's not much difference...
Old 01-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Entropy
Personally I feel better using a motor tester that tests the motor lying on its side, coz thats how the motor runs in our cars. When you turn the motor vertically or just simply change the angle of the motor when holding it in your hands, you can see rpm and current draw changes.
Good point.

But which ones are avaiblable, if I dont want to spend a fortune on a real dyno with flywheel and all? The MuchMore DO have the option of a motor holder, but it's not mounted on the motor tester, so you still easily can have the motor angle to the tester wrong... or at least not the same each time...

Whats the most affordable dyno on the market?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Good point.

But which ones are avaiblable, if I dont want to spend a fortune on a real dyno with flywheel and all? The MuchMore DO have the option of a motor holder, but it's not mounted on the motor tester, so you still easily can have the motor angle to the tester wrong... or at least not the same each time...

Whats the most affordable dyno on the market?
I'm sure the motor holder will position the motor correctly unless you're not doing it on a flat surface.

Currently I do the tests with my hand holding the motor and its pretty consistent. Not to mention the rubber ring round the side of the Motor Master/MPM actually acts as a guide for the motor can positioning as u can push the motor snugly into the rubber ring before commencing your tests.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks. Sounds reasonably.

I've been in this hobby for some years now, but motor testing is new to me, so it would be nice, if someone can enligthning me a little...

I've read the MM Motor Master manual, so I know what it can do. But how do you use the data?

I mean, it's tempting to think the motor with highst RPM's is the fastest. But torque plays a big role on tight tracks, so how do you know which motor to choose?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's better when checking a motor, higher or lower amp draw?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

No-load amp draw readings don't really show anything important......unless ofcourse it's pulling 50 amps because it has a body clip jammed in it
Old 01-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Thanks. Sounds reasonably.

I've been in this hobby for some years now, but motor testing is new to me, so it would be nice, if someone can enligthning me a little...

I've read the MM Motor Master manual, so I know what it can do. But how do you use the data?

I mean, it's tempting to think the motor with highst RPM's is the fastest. But torque plays a big role on tight tracks, so how do you know which motor to choose?
For me I find a balance between amp draw and rpms. I am also able to test the effects of different brush springs, brushes on amp draw and rpm. Not to mention the effects of timing on the motor too.

When I'm satisfied, I do the rest of my testing on the track.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Joe B
No-load amp draw readings don't really show anything important......unless ofcourse it's pulling 50 amps because it has a body clip jammed in it
Thats true, but then, would you rather do all your motor testing on the track (swapping brushes, springs etc) after each run? Or would you rather have the no-load performance of the motor as a reference.

There'll definately be a difference between a motor's performance on and off the track but at least we can make sure the motor is performing at its best in a no-load situation before mounting it on the car.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:35 PM

I have bought an Integy Dyno to make sure my motors perform equally each time I put my car on the starting grid.
It's my first dyno, so I'm just starting out with it, but my plan is to build my motor up, and run it in on the dyno till the measuring numbers flatten out. I guess that the brushes should be broken in the moment the numbers don't change anymore. I want to record with what numbers what kind of performance the motor delivers, so I can define a range where the motor works sufficiently.
I have lost too much races by having a bad prepared motor, with problems like too small brushes, too little spring tension, bad alignment on the brush hoods and debris stalling the brush in the endbell and so on.
I want to use the dyno to give me the confidence that when I put the car on the grid, I know the motor will be performing as expected!
I don't think I have the know-how or the recources to tweak a motor to its limits, but I just want to make sure that the motor doesn't spoil my fun.

Any tips will be appreciated!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with the integy dyno one of the fastest guys at out track uses one to tune his motors with,like was said earlier it's a lot better than having nothing,once you get a base reading just go from there.Take good notes and you'll be set.I keep notes on motors,batteries and set ups.You've got to keep good notes if you want to be succesful,that notebook is one of the most important pieces of equipment you'll own.Try here for some motor tuning know how, http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/

Last edited by Hyper1; 01-12-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.