Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless in the wet ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Brushless in the wet ...

Hi guys,
your experience will be of help in our decision ....
We are helding a 24hours race in June (Italy). The previous editions were very sunny (2002) and very rainy (17 hours of rain in 2007).
We always used can motors as at those times the brushless were not available yet.
How the brushless combos are doing in heavy rain weaher? The can motors/combos are cheap and durable, so we are hinking of them.
As the motors will be coming with the car and the entry fee, any opinion is welcomed in order to take a decision
Thanks for help
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I'd look at the VXL. Very durable and waterproof. Past that I don't know of any others.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

The only brushless motors that work well in the wet are sensorless, but they suffer from cogging, mainly from standing starts.

I'm not aware of many brushless ESC's that are waterproof;

http://www.mtroniks.net/

They do waterproof sensorless combo's but I've never tried any of them

Skiddins
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

For sensored brushless racing in the wet you need a motor without any cooling holes. Current ones on the market are the Tekin redline, Novak ballistic and Losi Xcelorin. You then need a tub of Plasti dip to cover the joins in the motor, plus the sensor plug, plus all of the case joins in the ESC, around all of the ESC wires etc.

If everyone gets the same kit then the Mtroniks is a cheap, waterproof option:

http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp...g2sport12t.htm

It won't be very fast, and it may cog a bit at low speed, but if its the same for everyone it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daleburr
For sensored brushless racing in the wet you need a motor without any cooling holes. Current ones on the market are the Tekin redline, Novak ballistic and Losi Xcelorin. You then need a tub of Plasti dip to cover the joins in the motor, plus the sensor plug, plus all of the case joins in the ESC, around all of the ESC wires etc.
You don't need to block up any holes on a sensored motor, you just need to waterproof the sensor board and cable, the rest of the motor is unaffected by water.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 AM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I would just go with the traxxas vxl-3s they are kind of pricey at 175 for just once race but they are known for to be waterproof tho not exactly race quality as far as adjustability and sensitivity!!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks everybody, I have better picture now.
Will see how to do, at least for 2012 edition of ur 24 hours maybe we'll stay with the old Carson can ... maybe ... but next time a sensorless unit will do.
Some testing will be done to this regard