Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Fusion, motor always runs full speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Novak Fusion, motor always runs full speed

Howdy,

I'm pretty new with electric racing; and I have a problem getting my new car set up.

I have a Novak Fusion ESC, a stock motor, and a JR R135 reveiver. I've connected the motor directly to the motor leads from the ESC with some solder, and I put a Deens connector on the battery lead.

I connect the steering servo to the steering position, and the throttle to the throttle position on the receiver.

When I connect the battery, the motor spins at full speed, whether or not the Fusion's switch is on or off. If the switch is off, the light on the ESC won't turn on, if it's on, the light is solid red.

I'm really not sure what's going on here. What could cause this to happen? I've reset my transmitter, and I've tried putting the servo/ESC in different positions on the receiver. It still does the same thing.

The receiver works fine by itself with a normal receiver battery pack, so I don't think it's that.

I'm not a complete R/C newbie; I've been racing 1/8 buggy for awhile, so any information you might be able to offer would help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Have you setup the ESC?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

No.

Reading the Fusion manual I just downloaded, it said to hold down the button until the light goes solid red. THe light was already solid red, so I held down the throttle like the instructions said to. In doing so, the motor spun down slightly but then spun back up and the light turned off.

I think the ESC may have burned out. I can't make the light turn on anymore. I disconnected the motor, and it's still not responding. I don't believe I hooked it up wrong; there's only a few wires.

So, I guess I'm going to look for a new one, unless you've got any ideas. Any thoughts on a decent ESC? I don't need anything very elaborate; just something that will fit into my XXX-S and work with my Monster Horsepower motor.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but mabey you soldered the wrong positive wire to the battery and motor. There are two of them and the only way to tell the difference is their positioning. I think the inside two go together and the outside two go together. The one with the blue wire is motor. I dont know if this makes a difference since three wire ESCs use the same wire for battery and motor, but its possible that this is different. Be sure to program it too. The fact that it goes full throttle even when the switch is off is what lead me to the idea that you used the wrong wires.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

i have had this happen to me before also. try disconnecting the motor and then try setting the speed control. i have no idea why but it has worked for me before. if that does not work then send it in for repair.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

I appreciate the help. I am not sure if I connected the battery and motor to the wrong leads. I did connect the blue wire to the battery, but the red wires I'm not sure. I opened the unit and it appeared to be correct the way I had it based on where they hook on to the little PCB.

Either way, I can't get the thing to power on anymore. The motor still runs when I hook up the battery but the light on the ESC never comes on no matter how many times or how long I hold in the button.

I'll probably see if I can get it replaced by Novak - looks like they have a nice exchange policy where you can get a factory repaired unit sent to you for $20 or so when you send in your old one.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Is the esc connector in the right slot in the receiver?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

According to the instructions, the blue wire is the neg- motor wire.

http://www.teamnovak.com/Download/acrobat/fusion.pdf
Old 01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
The Evicerator

The blue wire should be hooked up to the motor negative, not the battery negative.

The black wire goes to the battery negative.

Try rewiring your setup this way and redoing the one touch setup. Note: You need to press and hold the button until the red light comes on to get into the one touch setup mode. If you do not press and hold the button you will not be able to set your ESC to your transmitter.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

You may have blown the ESC by hooking up the motor wires to the battery. Having power go through an ESC the wrong way isnt a good thing.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Ya should have put a schottky diode on if your running stock. It prevents current from going both ways.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I'll give it a shot; putting the wires on the right way. But, it might be too late. I'll open the thing up and see if I see anything burned out. Maybe if it was just a solder joint or something I can repair it.

As this is the first time I've ever heard of a schottky diode, I just didn't know a thing existed. I'll look into getting one of those.

I'm not that worried about the ESC really, it was given to me from someone at the track. I swear he told me to hook the blue to the battery, but that's obviously wrong looking at the downloaded manual.

I appreciate everyone's interest in helping me out here.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by nmt6789
Ya should have put a schottky diode on if your running stock. It prevents current from going both ways.
No actually the diode will just blow if you put power through it the wrong way. I know from experience, makes a nice pop. As far as I know the shotttky diode puts the power created by the motor when coasting (it acts like a generator) back into the motor, rather than having it go back the the ESC and heat up or possibly damage the brake FETs.