Search

New to this hobby.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default New to this hobby.

Hi all,

Am from Singapore here.

Have a keen interest in this hobby esp on-road racing.

Well, i`ve got a problem here, hope that i can seek some advice here.

Have been scouting and asking around about which car should i get as i`m a total newbie to this sport.

Maybe i have been asking around the wrong places. Because, i have actually checked with 2 shops.

1 adviced me to buy Kyosho single R. Said it would be a good one to start with as i have not handled a R/C car before.

Just today i went to another shop looking for the adviced Single R Kyosho, was then adviced not to pick that car up as it is a very old model and that finding the spare parts would be a hassel as well as costly. adviced me on taking the V one S || or the FW05 S or R. can`t remember which is it. was adviced that a starter kit would be good for a start instead of a pro kit.

They both come with a pull start engine, whereas the Single R comes with an engine that doesn`t have a pull start. Needs a Box to get it started. Have heard that ``pull start`` engines lose out quite abit in performance. is this true?

Sorry for this very long message full of questions.

Could anyone help pls?

Thanks alot for your time.

Cheers!!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My suggestion: try to pickup a second hand V1RR or V1RR EVO since lots people might sell them because V1RRR released. They are better chassis than V1S and will give u a better feadback on how your skill growth.

My friend did the V1S when he first enter this hobby (which is heavily modified with 2speed and lots options by my another friend). As far as I can tell, he suffer the poor chassis more than his driving skill after 2 or 3 weekends. Which means the V1S only good for him for first 2 or 3 runs, after than the chassis killing his driving capability. Now he took my 710 and driving quite well, which only 6 months after he start playing RCar (and I yelling him to take my car earlier but he just doesn't listen...XD).

You might worry the car goes too fast, DONT! Buy a very stock engine, said OS TR12 non competition version, which is easy to tune and slower compare with others. Your first engine should able to let you learn how to drive the car, play around the setting. Ask the store to breakin for you. Play it with 70% throttle in first few weeks, than bump to 100% (you can setup the throttle range on controller). After first engine aged, go for general stock engine to feel more speed.

Electronic, go for the highend if you consider to stay on this hobby.

And remember: ALWAYS play at dedicated track (I know SG has some). And ALWAYS ask others when you got questions.

My little 2cents.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you so much Ttso.

Sounds very reasonable. So u`d suggest i`d go straight to a pro kit second hand?

Alright. Thanks for your help again. Maybe anyone here from Singapore wants to sell his/her RR Evo? Hee hee..

Old 01-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry left out one question. What is stock engine? Is it a non-pull start engine?

And also, will a pull start engine`s performance be weaker than the non-pulll start engine?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Stock engine = Non hand modified, mess production engine.

Pull start engine is weaker than non-pull start. And for both V1RR and V1RR EVO, you can't use pull start engine.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Alright thanks ttso.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

hello.. just sharing my opinion and i totally agree with ttso...u have to start somewhere

but sooner or later when u have progress either technically or handling u'll end up with at least a reasonably racing kit,radio gear and engine and etc...i know i was there

welcome to the rc world
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Rcabj,

Thanks for your help too.

Have been looking around , net and nearby hobby shops in Singapore.

Haven`t been able to find the V0ne RR evo second hand.

Are there any other models to recommend?

is the FW05R as good? Actually my prefrence of appearence is belt driven hee hee

but anyway, i`m willing to try anything that will have a good start for me.

Thanks guys.!

Cheers!!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

most newbees ive seen around have started with something like a nitro tc3 since the choice of engines isnt as limited, and parts are cheap and easy to find, and the car itself is easy to setup and drive, and they are just as capable of racing with any other car.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Hello RCNitroDude999,

Thanks for your advice.

The TC3 you were mentioning sounds interesting. Have not heard of that model before. Which Brand does it belong to?

Over here in Singapore, our popular brand is only Kyosho. These are the only brand that has spares here.

Will it be more costly if i were to order other brands and the spares?

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

since you are overseas im sure things are a lot different. go with the car that you can get parts and support for the easiest. the nitro tc3 is made by associated, and is sometimes called the NTC3. over here, cars like the kyosho r series arent as easy to find parts for.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Seriously, consider starting with an electric and learn how to adjust the chassis before you have to deal with tuning a nitro engine....
Old 01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Hi vtl1180ny

Seriously start with an electric car first?

It would be quite a budget for me. i do have a budget.

Would it make alot of difference if i started with an electric car?

RCNitroDude999 , would u happen to know much about Kyosho cars? if i`d decide to go straight to nitro, i`ll have to do Kyosho as the parts are more accessible.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

You can do whatever you want.... I've been in this hobby since my first car in 1977.... 20 years later the RTR craze hit... Now the hobby shops are clogged with people who buy RTR Nitro's who have no idea how to fix them.... They all break sooner or later.... If you took the time to assemble it you may have a chance of fixing it.... Nitro engine's are tempermental, something simple as an airleak can be a nightmare to resolve....

My advice to you...

Buy a KIT... Put it together yourself....

If you feel you must have a Nitro, get a starter box, you're gonna get so pissed at the engine you'll break the pull start....

If you go the smart way... Get an electric... A stock 27 turn motor... 2 decent packs and an inexpensive charger.... Learn to tune the chassis... Lern to fix what you break... Then move on to Nitro... You'll still have the electric for those days that you want to throw the nitro out the window cause it refuses to start....
Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice vtl1180ny.

Looks like i`ll have to re-think my first purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.