STS .28 pull-start engine

Old 06-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help!!!

Hi There

I have recently purchased a .28 STS engine. which I have put into my Rex-X. I have been running this for a couple of months now. But today I noticed that the LSN had come out completely.

If someone can tell me what the factory settings are for both the HSN and the LSN I would be greatful. I cannot seem to find this information anywhere.

Thank you all
Old 06-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I´m a new STS .28 engine owner from Spain. My english is not very good, but i want to try.

I´ve got a XTM Mammoth with a XTM .24,7 engine and i want to ask you some questions.

I don´t know : How many Hp has this engine ? what about the RPM ?

I have recently purchased the .28 STS engine and i want to break it as soon as i can. what % nitro gas for break in ?Can i use my XTM mammoth pipe for the engine?. What pipes do you use on the STS28 ?

there are too much questions but i hope you help me.

Thanks you for all.

Last edited by BMX_LEGACY; 06-18-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by T2UK
Hi There

I have recently purchased a .28 STS engine. which I have put into my Rex-X. I have been running this for a couple of months now. But today I noticed that the LSN had come out completely.

If someone can tell me what the factory settings are for both the HSN and the LSN I would be greatful. I cannot seem to find this information anywhere.

Thank you all
HSN--2t
LSN--3t
Old 06-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by BMX_LEGACY
Hi, I´m a new STS .28 engine owner from Spain. My english is not very good, but i want to try.

I´ve got a XTM Mammoth with a XTM .24,7 engine and i want to ask you some questions.

I don´t know : How many Hp has this engine ? what about the RPM ?

I have recently purchased the .28 STS engine and i want to break it as soon as i can. what % nitro gas for break in ?Can i use my XTM mammoth pipe for the engine?. What pipes do you use on the STS28 ?

there are too much questions but i hope you help me.

Thanks you for all.
We don't publish the HP rating for the engine due to there is no standardized dyno in the world so far. I would suggest you 25%nitro for break-in and running. I have no idea about XTM stock pipe. I'm using STS #0403 buggy tuned pipe on my MT. It works fine. If you can't find it,9853 also very good.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Dino

Thanks for the needle setting. I also forgot to ask you what is the temp I should be aiming for. I know that this is dependant on weather conditions. Right now I am running at 200 - 220 F. I am using 25% Tornado.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not familiar with Head shims, what would be your recomendations? I'm not yet taken my cooling head off so I am unsure what is already there.

Thanks again

T2UK
Old 06-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by T2UK
Hi Dino

Thanks for the needle setting. I also forgot to ask you what is the temp I should be aiming for. I know that this is dependant on weather conditions. Right now I am running at 200 - 220 F. I am using 25% Tornado.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not familiar with Head shims, what would be your recomendations? I'm not yet taken my cooling head off so I am unsure what is already there.

Thanks again

T2UK
When the air temp. is lower than 5C,stay at home.
When the air temp. is 5~15C (41~59F) Keep the engine temp around 80C(176F)
When the air temp. is 15~25C(59~77F) Keep the engine temp around 100C(212F)
When the air temp. is 25~35C (77~95F) Keep the engine temp around 120C(248F)
When the air temp. is more than 35C (95F) Keep the engine temp around 140C(284F)

If your engine works just fine and you feel the power is enough,you don't need to worry about the shim's setting. All STS engine shimmed for 30% nitro,if you are running 20% or 15%,you may need to remove some shims for getting the most power.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hi dino,

nice to see you back on the thread again, welcome back
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Dino for all your advise. I've not had a chance run it yet but I'll be running my buggy tomorrow. Can't wait to WOT cos I know what this .28 can do

p.s why is there no technical spec on www.sts.com.tw regarding .28?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dino.tw
Sorry,we have problem on the rotostart backplate. Another company FLYING-POINT Co, Ltd. claims that they have the patent right of the rotostart backplate. So we can't sell it. That is why the rotostart backplate be delayed. We are talking with the FLYING-POINT Co, Ltd. We need to buy the backplate from them then install on our engines.
Is progress being made with Flying Point Co Ltd? Are roto-start fans any closer to getting what they need for their STS engines? Let us know how it's going.

It's a real shame that this technicality should prevent you from being able to design and sell your own roto compatible back plate for what is afterall your engine!! I find it hard to understand why a company has any right to patent what amounts to just a couple of gears mounted to the back of a nitro engine. Surely similar mechanisms must exist for many other applications!!

What you need is a good lawyer! Good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Hi, you guys all seem pretty knowlegable about nitro, and I'm just getting into it, I just have a question about glow plugs. How many starts will a glow plug last for, or will they just last for one? i know that the glow starter will charge up enough to start the car a few times, but how many starts will the actual glow plugs last for? Reply to this or private message me with the answer please! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Hi

Glow plugs should last quite a while, but you need to make sure the plugs you use are correct for both your engine and suited to the particular fuel you use.

Things like the ambient temperature play their part also - on both the tuning and what plug works best.

I'm in the UK, use 25 percent nitro fuel and find that RB No 6 plugs work well. Less nitro = hotter plug. More nitro = colder plug.

I inspect my plug after every run. If it starts to look dull, I change it BEFORE it breaks. How long they last depends on how hard/frequently you use your engine and also how lean you go with the mixtures. But you should find that they last between at least 2 weeks (2 race meetings) to 2 months (8 race meetings).
Old 06-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Thanks, so when i look at it, will it be pretty obvious if it's worn to the point where I need to replace it?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

When new, the element will be shiny silver coloured. When you use your engine, you can 'read the plug' - it gives an indication to the how well your mixtures are set and the health of your engine.

If your glow plug's element loses it's nice shiny silver appearance, then the plug should be replaced. If you find yourself needing to replace your glow plug frequently, you need to either adjust your mixtures and/or change to a different heat rating on your plug.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Ok, do you know what a good plug and mixture setting would be to use in an Acme .18 engine with 20% Traxxas nitro fuel?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

When tuned for best performance, mine wants to run at 275. If I richen it, it gets all rough at idle-midrange. 275 is with 80' outside temp. Help.

Medium temp plug
0.3 head shims
20% nitro
14% oil

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.