Search
Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tshabalala
The shaft is in good shape no sign of pitting
Good - what are you using for oil on the one way??
Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Good - what are you using for oil on the one way??
I'm not using none.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I'm not using none.
No oil on the one way bearing??
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default Cobra tranny

Originally Posted by FastPete
No oil on the one way bearing??
I'm anxiously awaiting some response to this question on the the trans problem.

I was told 'not to oil 1-way' but I shelved my Serpent GT for the same problem listed by Tshabala. I only had close to half a gallon through engine in that car (engine had been successfully used in another car previously). I only heard it shift about 8 times and the rest of the time it did what Tshabala's car does. If the shaft 'wears-out' before it can 'breakin', Cobra can stay on the shelf.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I'm anxiously awaiting some response to this question on the the trans problem.

I was told 'not to oil 1-way' but I shelved my Serpent GT for the same problem listed by Tshabala. I only had close to half a gallon through engine in that car (engine had been successfully used in another car previously). I only heard it shift about 8 times and the rest of the time it did what Tshabala's car does. If the shaft 'wears-out' before it can 'breakin', Cobra can stay on the shelf.
Any one way bearing oil or Huddy One way lube works. ....I don't know of a bearing that works very long dry. .not sure how that's a cobra problem?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How do I visibly tell version 1 of version 2 diff? And the spacers that are needed or not needed, depending on the version, is that internal or behind the out drives?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KR145
Any one way bearing oil or Huddy One way lube works. ....I don't know of a bearing that works very long dry. .not sure how that's a cobra problem?
Is the Cobra shipped with the 'one-way.........ready-to-use or not ready' ??

Page 5 of the assembly manual says nothing about needing to lube bearing, 'one-way lube' is not listed in the fluids needed section on page 3.

I've never lubed the one-way in my Kyosho.........because I was told not to. My first 'one-way' failure was after over 3 years of race use. My second 'one-way' failure seems to be an 'out-of-box' problem with the Serpent. So, someone please clear up the issue for Tshabalala and I.

KR145.........if Serpent ships a 'one-way' bearing dry and provides no lube instructions if needed, I see it as a Serpent problem........because I was 'assured' I 'couldn't go wrong buying the Cobra GT'. I watched the local TeamC owners go through that and I just shook my head in disbelief that this car acted just like their 'one-way' failures.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rockin G
How do I visibly tell version 1 of version 2 diff? And the spacers that are needed or not needed, depending on the version, is that internal or behind the out drives?
Version 2 look like 'free-floating-stars' as opposed to Version 1 that look like they have a 'washer' on the larger end of the spiders. The 'washers' were eliminated on the inside of the diff case at the spider assembly.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have always used one-way oil in all my previous serpents. I have yet to see a bearing sold that has not any sort of lube on them. Every time I break down my trans. I clean then relube. I've also done this for my K-igt2 car for 3 years.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One way oil
http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...FQiDfgodFokAjQ
Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

I have been having problems with my 2 speed transmission on my serpent gt. Every time i give it gas specially when i lean the engine to get more RPMs it suddenly sounds like one of the gears goes out then i push the break and it engages again. I have replaced the one way bearing and went with larger gears and it keeps doing the same thing. Has anyone had that problem and how could i fix it. Thank you.
Try pulling the one way out and wipe off the excessive oil/ grease. I had the same issue and wiped off the visible lubricant and the issue went away. It seemed like there was too much lube and the one way was slipping.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (99%+)

I have been having problems with my 2 speed transmission on my serpent gt. Every time i give it gas specially when i lean the engine to get more RPMs it suddenly sounds like one of the gears goes out then i push the break and it engages again. I have replaced the one way bearing and went with larger gears and it keeps doing the same thing. Has anyone had that problem and how could i fix it. Thank you.
a friend of mine had that same issue with his 2 speed, take the one way out clean it real good then take the shaft and with some 800-1000 grit sand paper sand the part of the shaft that makes contact with the one way bearings, he tried 3 different one way bearings before trying this and has never had a problem since.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

While we're on this subject, I recently had to replace the 2 speed housing. Since then it seems to me like it is stuck in 2nd gear. No shifting, sluggish off the line then about mid rpm it gets going well...but never a shift. If the one way went bad, it wouldn't shift to 2nd right? Pretty sure mine is in 2nd from launch.

Things I have done to TRY to help.
1. Replace 2 Speed housing.
2. Replace 2 speed shaft
3. Replace shoes with new shoe kit, to include springs, shoes etc...
4. Adjust screw to 5.5 turns out from bottom.
5. Make sure set screws in middle of shoe were not interfering, nor pushing the shoe out.

What else can I try?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Default Turns

Originally Posted by Rockin G
While we're on this subject, I recently had to replace the 2 speed housing. Since then it seems to me like it is stuck in 2nd gear. No shifting, sluggish off the line then about mid rpm it gets going well...but never a shift. If the one way went bad, it wouldn't shift to 2nd right? Pretty sure mine is in 2nd from launch.

Things I have done to TRY to help.
1. Replace 2 Speed housing.
2. Replace 2 speed shaft
3. Replace shoes with new shoe kit, to include springs, shoes etc...
4. Adjust screw to 5.5 turns out from bottom.
5. Make sure set screws in middle of shoe were not interfering, nor pushing the shoe out.

What else can I try?
That should be '5........half turns'.....!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
That should be '5........half turns'.....!
So you are saying half a turn 5 times? Which equals 2.5 turns? It used to shift fine at 5.5 turns. The manual says 5 1/2 turns. Never heard of writing it the way you mentioned. Yours shifts at 2.5 turns?
Attached Thumbnails Serpent Cobra GT-screenshot_2014-07-12-12-53-36.png  

Last edited by Rockin G; 07-12-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.