Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So my cars done. Saved the shocks for last and did them today. My rear shock bolts won't push all the way into the rear arms. Either inner or outer hole. When I say won't push in all the way I mean there sticking out 1/4 inch. The set screw grabbed the bolt so the bolts secure and seems like it won't pull out but I'm wondering why it's like this. All the pics iv seen the bolts push all the way in. Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...w-mounted.html
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1966ss
So my cars done. Saved the shocks for last and did them today. My rear shock bolts won't push all the way into the rear arms. Either inner or outer hole. When I say won't push in all the way I mean there sticking out 1/4 inch. The set screw grabbed the bolt so the bolts secure and seems like it won't pull out but I'm wondering why it's like this. All the pics iv seen the bolts push all the way in. Thanks
Ive seen that on a few of the newer batch as well but as long as the set screw is in the machined area it should be ok. On mine they go all in.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mine is the same way.. Serpent told me it was a carry over that allowed the mud flaps on the buggys. I asked if they sold a part that fit correctly and got asked why I would want such a thing? Thought it was a bit dumb that they put extra effort over the competition on things like bearings on the sway bars and the little screws that hold the bearings in on the inside of the diff cases then they just leave these hanging out?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
Mine is the same way.. Serpent told me it was a carry over that allowed the mud flaps on the buggys. I asked if they sold a part that fit correctly and got asked why I would want such a thing? Thought it was a bit dumb that they put extra effort over the competition on things like bearings on the sway bars and the little screws that hold the bearings in on the inside of the diff cases then they just leave these hanging out?
Lolol totally with ya. Cars a sweet looking ride and that looks like shit!!! I was thinking about putting the mud flaps on lol
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It's just not cost effecient to re-engineer something that makes no difference what so ever. I'm sure you noticed that there were unused items on a few of the part trees that were intended for the offroad buggy. It is cheaper for us and them to give extra parts than it would be make new trees just for the GT. Not only is Serpent in the buisness of making quality cars, but they are also in the buisness to make money.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
It's just not cost effecient to re-engineer something that makes no difference what so ever. I'm sure you noticed that there were unused items on a few of the part trees that were intended for the offroad buggy. It is cheaper for us and them to give extra parts than it would be make new trees just for the GT. Not only is Serpent in the buisness of making quality cars, but they are also in the buisness to make money.
I'm all for someone making money, however this is really a short cut/cop out. To have such a polished product and leave this literately hanging out is odd. Its such an obvious thing.. anyone that walks over and looks at the car asks about it or points out something is wrong... When all the other parts fit perfect and toward the end of the build it leaves folks wondering if they did something wrong putting it together?

Personally I'm planning to grind off the end and put in a new flat spot on the pin to correct this & avoid anymore comments.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm all for someone making money, however this is really a short cut/cop out. To have such a polished product and leave this literately hanging out is odd. Its such an obvious thing.. anyone that walks over and looks at the car asks about it or points out something is wrong... When all the other parts fit perfect and toward the end of the build it leaves folks wondering if they did something wrong putting it together?

Personally I'm planning to grind off the end and put in a new flat spot on the pin to correct this & avoid anymore comments.
In terms of function, the pin works perfectly. It doesn't move at all despite the gap. I questioned this myself for a minute but you literally cannot more the pin any further and the set screw finds the groove in the pin perfectly. The pin function as it should. If the form bothers you then by all means customize it but by the end of this day I don't think it's a strike against the product or manufacturer. Doesn't bother me much and personally makes it super easy to pull out vs a flush pin head when it's time to change shock oils or position.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Well, at least it is a testament to the quality of the car! If the pin is the most important issue of the car, the rest must be very good!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dortiz68
Doesn't bother me much and personally makes it super easy to pull out vs a flush pin head when it's time to change shock oils or position.
+1
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I know this is the Serpent GT thread, but I figure mose of you are running the Alpha tire. Can anyone tell me a temp range for the compounds? Where I race during the season the air temp can be from the high 50's F up above 100F... I have been running Sweep tires (45's & 50's), but I want to try some of the Alphas.
I should be getting a Cobra so I want to make sure I get the correct tires while I'm on a spending spree.
Thanks

Last edited by mcsquish; 03-28-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mcsquish
So I know this is the Serpent GT thread, but I figure mose of you are running the Alpha tire. Can anyone tell me a temp range for the compounds? Where I race during the season the air temp can be from the high 50's F up above 100F... I have been running Sweep tires (45's & 50's), but I want to try some of the Alphas.
I should be getting a Cobra so I want to make sure I get the correct tires while I'm on a spending spree.
Thanks

Medium - (up to 55 º C) up to 131 degrees

Soft -(up to 45 º C)up to 113 degress

I have run soft when the track temp was hotter than 113 degress with no fall of on speed or traction.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mcsquish
Thanks
Soft & Ultra Soft are the most popular and what you will use most of the time. Medium is for a long main or when super hot. If in doubt run Soft. It has great traction and can run a 30-45 main at most tracks.

Compounds (from softest to hardest)

Qualy
5-10 min runs, 80 deg or less

Ultra Soft
5-30 min runs

Soft
works in most conditions, best overall, very good durability, best wear vs. traction performance

Medium
very hot temps. 30+ minute mains
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you very much for the information!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hmm.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.