Like Tree2Likes

Rubber tires for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swannco
Where do u get Sorex?

I found some premount Takeoff 27's today at my LHS, so I will try those ASAP to see how they do. Thanks for the tips. I also found some Jaco's. Are they any good?
Your LHS should be able to get some Team Sorex for you
Old 08-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swannco
Where do u get Sorex?

I found some premount Takeoff 27's today at my LHS, so I will try those ASAP to see how they do. Thanks for the tips. I also found some Jaco's. Are they any good?
Sorex & RP is best tire now !
also use FX2 , Tire tweak 2000 or biggy grip only
Old 08-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

need a good traction compound and clean to use with rp 30/36 that works with NO tire warmers. any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Island Losi
need a good traction compound and clean to use with rp 30/36 that works with NO tire warmers. any suggestions?
I don't have tire warmers yet. When it's not too hot (say 110F, maybe 120F max or lower) Paragon GFXII seems to work with RP30 (cleaned with anything, I like Ragu tire cleaner or Buggy grip best). If I leave the Paragon on more than 5-10 mins they get greasy, at least when it's hot 90F track or higher. I shorten the time the Paragon sits (short if hot out, a little longer if cool, a little longer still if night). This seems to work best unless I have a lot of time to let something like Ragu Marinade or SXT 2.0 sit.

I'm no expert, but on asphalt I've run mostly RP30 the past year and tried SXT, Ragu, WD40, Rubber Death Grip, TQ orange and GFXII and the GFXII seems the best between all of these (edit: for most temperature ranges from summer nights to warm days but not blazing hot). However a lot of A-main drivers I've seen use SXT 2.0, even some without tire warmers.

For the money WD40 is cheap and works decent. At club races I clean with WD40 unless it's a critical heat. I'll even practice with it sometimes. Maybe run WD40 for now and save $$$ for some tire warmers down the road?

If you look back in this thread and the other one cross-referenced a few posts back, you'll find a list of other recommendations, many of which don't require tire warmers. I am beginning to think that tire warmers work best with oil-type compounds that work slowly, as opposed to more solvent-based compounds which quickly "attack" the tire.

Last edited by swopemike; 08-07-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the reply mike. for one i need a solvant based compound that works fast. another thing is that which of these can be shipped by air? ill do some research and find out. when u use the wd40 in practice, do u clean the tire and dry it or clean with wd40 and put on a little more as a compond? i don't see myself using tire warmers anytime soon due to time between races.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

can i get rubber tires for my pan car ?>
Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When its really hot the thick SXT is awesome on RP30's

When its moderate a 50/50 mix of Paragon FX2 and Tire tweak is best.

When its cold regular Paragon Ground Effects is best.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Adrian - You are talking about SXT 1.0 right? The 2.0 they claim is for Foam tires. Or is there a "1.5" out there I don't know about?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by killingtime
Adrian - You are talking about SXT 1.0 right? The 2.0 they claim is for Foam tires. Or is there a "1.5" out there I don't know about?
He is speaking about SXT 2.0
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys for the comments, appreciate the answers from voices of experience. I see Adrian now agrees on the SXT for super hot weather, that's an upgrade from his earlier chart/listings in the thread. Some of the info is a bit dated now (only a year or two) but based on his response sounds like he considers most of it still fully relevant today.

Since I haven't tried Tweak yet (LHS having trouble getting it) I haven't tried that combo with FXII, but I think I might.

I checked some web sites and Paragon and WD40 normally can't be air-shipped. But I didn't see this limitation on tire tweak 2000 at www.towerhobbies.com. You'll just have to look around some.

You might be able to find something like these in a good hardware store, industrial supply or the like, maybe a chemicals house.

What does everyone think of the new Ragu stuff from EA? I think the conditioner is awesome, but the marinade is a lot like SXT (maybe with a touch of the conditioner in it) and needs heat to work, (although I think it works at cooler temps than SXT). What have you found ?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

besides the WD40 what else i could find in a hardware....etc?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

WD 40 is a petroleum product, light fractions plus an oily constituent and I think maybe some surfactants (soapy like) and the MSDS and components are available if you search yahoo, etc. I was thinking if you look in the hardware store try to find something that functions like and has similar constituents as WD-40 (displaces water, light lubricant, etc) and try it. The more solvent-based stuff, I'm not sure which solvent it is. Just thinking you can check out what is available and try some things. If you don't have access to the name brands that's all I can think of (I'm assuming you're overseas and can't get these brands shipped to you). Another option is get them shipped but not via air. A third option is get tire warmers to help whatever you do have, and there are non-flammable compounds that are easier to air ship that work better with tire warmers.

You also asked about WD 40 treatment on tires. I use it primarily to clean the tires, but it doesn't rub totally off by itself well, so there is a little residue. To treat the tires I leave a layer on for a period of time. Only tried it a few times. Worked better than nothing. A lot of these treatments depend on track temperatures, tire compound, time for the treatment on the tires, and the type of treatment used. Basically if it's hot you don't want to break down the tire too much but if it's cool you can more afford to be aggressive with treatment. I know this is a little vague because I'm experimenting and just learning in general what to do. I can't offer exact recipes yet. Although if you had access to the treatments previously mentioned, there are other "recipes" in this thread and the other one referenced earlier, and also ones like Adrian mentioned just above. It's kind of like car set-up, there is some theory involved then as you put it into practice you make it work for you, your car, the particular track and conditions, etc. etc. thus the focus on theory not just pat recipes.

If you live in a 1-climate place then maybe someone can give you a much more specific recipe for your conditions if you describe them ?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

does anyone know a good traction addative recipe using household products
thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by birdy
does anyone know a good traction addative recipe using household products
thanks
excactly!

thanks mike for all the info. i totally understand what u are saying and the info has helped alot. Wd40 is the easiest for me to get thats why im asking about it alot. i live in the caribbean and the track temp is around 36-40C on average. it surface is very aggresive and it will chew tires if the car is not set up right. i will try the wd40 to try and refresh the tire but i will get a traction compound. ill see if i can get tire tweak.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Island Losi
excactly!

thanks mike for all the info. i totally understand what u are saying and the info has helped alot. Wd40 is the easiest for me to get thats why im asking about it alot. i live in the caribbean and the track temp is around 36-40C on average. it surface is very aggresive and it will chew tires if the car is not set up right. i will try the wd40 to try and refresh the tire but i will get a traction compound. ill see if i can get tire tweak.
If the TRACK temperature is only 36-40C that is moderate temps (97-104F) so tweak (with FXII) would be great per Adrian... I've tried FXII it works well at that temp on RP30, 5-10 min soak max. WD40 is ok not great. However I suspect you might actually mean 36-40C air temps at the track. I live way up North from you and our typical summer "hot" track is 120-130F (50-55C) in the middle of the day as measured with an IR temp gun on the track surface, so that is why 36-40C seems way low. If your track is like ours or even hotter, tweak or an oil based type like SXT2.0 or maybe Ragu marinade should work great. Not sure if EA is selling Ragu outside lower 48 but SXT is worldwide (Corally product via Specialized RC). So you should be able to get either Tweak or SXT pretty easily.

Let us "dummies" know how it turns out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.