Like Tree2Likes

Rubber tires for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Unhappy Rubber tires for dummies

Hey,

I know nothing-NAAAHTING about rubber tires so I was hoping for a little help here at my favorite info joint-RCTech!!. I suppose I am not the only one ignorant in the way of the mysterious round back rubbery things-so anyone else post your questions here!!! I need to learn about inserts, insert shape, airgap and offsets and all that stuff a foam tire guy wouldnt know and has zero ability to try on a track. I'll make this easy to start with a few specific questions.

1-On Ozite-which has more grip-soft or hard insert. Is it more side bite-forward traction or both?

2-Air-gap-how do you use it to your advantage on Ozite? How do you increase or decrease it.

3-Concerning air-gap-what do you feel on the track that tells you you need more or less?

I am just getting started!! Thanks for any help!!

Ray
Old 01-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ditto on all of Ray's questions. I usually run foams as well but would like to start trying to figure out a good rubber tire setup.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ray on rubber...... thats scary! lol I run rubber tires on carpet ALOT so I think I can help.

1.) Generally when the traction is super high, people will use a harder insert to help support the tire better. It decrease forwards bite and side bite. Usually try to run as hard as insert you can and still have the overall bite you need.

2 and 3.) Air gap is what controls the amount of forward bite you have. Bigger air gap means more forward bite, smaller air gap means less forward bite, but better support for the tire, and generally less tire wear. The air gap lets the tire squirm around more and conforms to the road much better. I like a large air gap on tracks with lots of slow corners and when the track is a touch bumpy, and I like less airgap on smoother, bigger, and faster tracks to decrease rolling resistance, and so the tire just doesnt fold over on it self in the high speed corners.

An air gap also lets tires heat up quicker, and they dont get to as high of a temp (because there is air fowing around inside the tire and stuff assuming you have big enough hols in your rims) Less air gap will generally take a bit longer to heat up, but they will get to a higher final temperature. I will usually think about it when I'm racing outdoors in really hot weather to keep the tires from overheating.

To change your airgap you get different inserts. Thinner inserts like the Yokomo 039 series and the Sorex type C inserts have a large airgap because they are thin inserts. The HPI, Sorex type A, and yokomo 037 inserts are thicker, and have thicker profiles, so they will fill the inside of the tire up more giving you less airgap. Sorex type B inserts fall right in the middle in my opinion.

Some good starting setups for rubber tires on carpet are Sorex 28R with Sorex type B or C FIRM inserts, Take Off CS-27 pre glued spec tires, or the ING 25 on ING wheels, with the ING med-hard inserts.

Ok, I think that was everything.......... Lemme know if I missed anything.

-Korey
MatsNorway likes this.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

sushi-awesome stuff. All makes sense!!

I will try and find places around here to run rubber tires/ozite-NOT going to be easy. Gate said no-Halo said no-I assume PLatinum hobbies will say no too.. I will be running Tamiya type A tires on Tamiya rims exclusively-but I do believe that inserts are open territory for TCS racing. i am starting with black inserts. I have a decent supply of Yokomo and Sorex tires I once built for concrete track-but I went once and never returned. There buried somewhere in plastic baggies hidden in a box covered in a black plastic bag!! THink they are still fresh??? haha!!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, good stuff Sushi!

I've seen guys mount tires on 24 & 26mm wheels. Does the wider/lower profile make a difference?

I've also seen my friends go cheap and buy the OFNA 8 rims for $8... and then they shatter. Can you use acetone to remove the rubber if they're still good? What are good rims... dish and spoke?

Thanks, again!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

You can always try it. I always just mount up a new set.... The acetone will make those ofna rims more birttle that what they start like (which is really brittle lol).

-Korey
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Best combo on carpet is the Speedmind CS-27 with JB-Blue foam inserts on hard Orion Dish wheels.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:17 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
sushi-awesome stuff. All makes sense!!

I will try and find places around here to run rubber tires/ozite-NOT going to be easy. Gate said no-Halo said no-I assume PLatinum hobbies will say no too.. I will be running Tamiya type A tires on Tamiya rims exclusively-but I do believe that inserts are open territory for TCS racing. i am starting with black inserts. I have a decent supply of Yokomo and Sorex tires I once built for concrete track-but I went once and never returned. There buried somewhere in plastic baggies hidden in a box covered in a black plastic bag!! THink they are still fresh??? haha!!
Ray what TCS race will you be running rubber tires on carpet? I didn't know any of the TCS races where held on carpet.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have always had good luck w/ the tamiya and yoke white dish rims.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Ray man...I know you are a foam guy but don't call the rubber guys dummies. That's just not nice

We messed with them a bit at CORCAR last year. I really liked them.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Schumacher carpet dragons are supposed to be good on carpet as well

Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by wyd
Ray what TCS race will you be running rubber tires on carpet? I didn't know any of the TCS races where held on carpet.
It will be held in Cincinnati, Ohio here TCS regional

I am pumped to do it-again-only thing that sucks is no experience on rubbertires. I bought a F201 and a tricked out TB02!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
It will be held in Cincinnati, Ohio here TCS regional

I am pumped to do it-again-only thing that sucks is no experience on rubbertires. I bought a F201 and a tricked out TB02!!!
Wow I didn't know that. Our TCS race is indoor asphalt in March. At RCO hobbies in Hanover PA. I TQ'ed and won both TCS races in GT last year with my TB-02. Very cool gar for GT2 and possibly GT1. Some run it and GT3 and do well bet they are little porky. The car will be better yet if when the TB-02R comes out we can use the new chassis and graphite braces.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sushi Boy

How about Firm but thin inserts vs. Soft inserts that fills the tires? when do we use these inserts?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Hmmmmm, Some tires tend to like fuller inserst than others. It just kinda depends. Usually I will start with an HPI red in sorex tires which is med/soft and a full insert. It will generally work well anywhere where the traction isn't super high. I really dont know how to answer your question fully. This is just all the stuff I've written down. I normally ran a thinner insert that was firm on decently high traction aspahlt, when it was hot, that was a touch bumpy. But liek I said before, all tires kinda like certain things and we all drive different. The easiest thing to do is to just ask a fast guy what he's running, thats normally what I did and just went from there.

-Korey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.