Community
Wiki Posts
Search

fm/pcm receivers??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default fm/pcm receivers??

I have new pcm 3pk pcm radio and receiver w/ fm xtal's (so it says)
what exactly is pcm and can I use one of the new novak fm receivers. and could someone tell me what all I would need t ochange my 3pk to be sytnesized and if that specktrum receiver and systhezier will be available and when for 3pk as well.
thanks
help asap.
need another receiver possibly 2. haha
Old 01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default pulse-code-modulation

The basic difference is that pcm sends out pulses, or bursts of information, rather than varying the frequency as in a frequency modulated (fm) signal. However, most pcm radios have an fm mode which would let you control an fm receiver.

I'm not familiar with your particular radio, but I would bet that it can be switched to fm mode, and as long as your transmitter and receiver share a frequency there is a good chance that it will work. However, some radio manufacturers modulate their equipment slightly differently which results in compatibility issues between companies. For example, a JR transmitter will not operate a Futaba receiver, even if on the same frequency, because JR and Futaba modulate the signal differently in hopes that you'll get locked into their equipment and keep giving them your money as you expand your radio gear collection.

Sorry I can't be more specific with your gear.