Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LRP Pulsar 3 false peaking for Lipo's - anyone else? >

LRP Pulsar 3 false peaking for Lipo's - anyone else?

LRP Pulsar 3 false peaking for Lipo's - anyone else?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LRP Pulsar 3 false peaking for Lipo's - anyone else?

My Pulsar 3 seems to consistently false peak for lipos. During a full charge it will never put in more than 4000mah in to 5000+ mah packs. Yet after it has supposedly peaked and charged you can stick it on a Pulsar Touch and it will take it up an additional 1000mah and .1-.2v.

And it definitely is under charging because it doesn't make run time on the track..

There are new delta peak settings for lipo - thoughts?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

What does the voltage read on the Pulsar 3 when it's done charging? There is a way to fudge up the voltage readout so it goes a little higher. As the battery gets older, it may not take the 5000 amps anymore. The touch may read a little different too.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Uga
Tech Regular

There is no delta peak for LiPo's! CC-CV (constant current - constant voltage) method is used. First battery is charged at maximum permitted current till 4.20v per cell is reached, then it switches to holding the voltage at constant level by lowering charging current until current reaches 10% of the intial current.

If I remember correctly Pulsar3 didn't have inbuilt balancer. Are you using an external one? If you are not using any kind of balancer then problem is quite obvious - your cells are out of balance, therefore one cell is constantly overcharged (which is extremely dangerous!) and the other one is undercharged, therfore you get less runtime from the battery.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My LRP 3 would sometimes falsepeak. Root cause for me was dirty connector to battery.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you set the charger up ???

Mine was ending when the battery was at 3.98v per cell

Try this

With this function, you can calibrate the voltage shown on the menu screen. All PCC-3 units are already
calibrated coming from the factory, but due to aging of the components, this calibration can slightly
change over time. Then you can readjust the voltage on your PCC-3 with this function.
Another advantage of this function is, that two different PCC-3 units, which have been calibrated with
the „Voltage calibration mode“, will show exactly the same results. Therefore results of the „Matching“
mode can be directly compared.
To enter the „Voltage calibration mode“, follow these instructions:
1. Press and hold the INC+ and DEC- buttons and connect the PCC-3 to a power source. The charger
is now in voltage calibration mode.
2. Connect a battery to the PCC-3. Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage directly at the battery
connectors.
3. Adjust the voltage on the PCC-3 to the voltage on the voltmeter using the INC+ and DEC- buttons.
4. To save the new value and to return back to the main menu, press the START/STOP button once