Serpent 966 T.E or Mugen MRX-5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 966 T.E or Mugen MRX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Imo The MRX5 is best when it's run close to stock! If you need upgrades use only the ones Mugen makes. The car will improve with Mugen upgrades and finding a setup will be a lot easier.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pooh2
Imo The MRX5 is best when it's run close to stock! If you need upgrades use only the ones Mugen makes. The car will improve with Mugen upgrades and finding a setup will be a lot easier.
Couldnt agree more..the car's so good out of the box..i tried playing around with the roll centres and i couldnt drive the car..changed back to stock..was so good..
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I went from Kyosho to Serpent little over a year ago, its like day & night as for Mugen I can't really say only because I have never driven one, but what I have seen they seem to be a good car also. Both cars have great support from there team and team members, that's important in my eyes.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

serpent out the box is real good car...only one problem i had was the front pulley kept slipping but i solved that with alluminum pulley...last year was my first time racing 1/8th and all i can say the is real tough knock on wood didnt break anything...i thought about switching brands but well satisfied the serpent so i'm upgrading to TE rear & tranny
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 AM
Tech Initiate

The Beauty just arrived.....!
I will start assembling and post some photos early night!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Personally I've owned a few serpents. I have been out of the game
For about 10 years. I decided it's been long enough so I Just recently picked up a mugen MRX5 and it's by far my favorite car yet. It's just an all around better car and parts are much easier to find. The car is a beautiful piece of work. All these competion cars are relatively very similar, but there's something about these Mugens that drive me crazy! They're great! And like I said... Parts are soooo much easier to find!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've owned an MRX5 for over 2 months and raced once with it. Like what others said, I concur the MRX5 works for me best as per factory intended, ie. box stock with stock settings. The rest is up to you the driver.

The 966TE is a great car but in my experience, needs some experienced tweaking to get it to perform well.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peppernick
I've owned an MRX5 for over 2 months and raced once with it. Like what others said, I concur the MRX5 works for me best as per factory intended, ie. box stock with stock settings. The rest is up to you the driver.

The 966TE is a great car but in my experience, needs some experienced tweaking to get it to perform well.
What kind of tweaking? Im my expirience the car goes together perfectly and the set up works out of the box. And parts are very easy to find. Plus the car is a TANK, trust me I know LOL
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitrodude
What kind of tweaking? Im my expirience the car goes together perfectly and the set up works out of the box. And parts are very easy to find. Plus the car is a TANK, trust me I know LOL
Oh yea I can vouch for that
Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi guys,
have both cars and in my opinion the 966te is a better alround package compared to the mrx-5 as the mugen still has the issue of radio interferrence.that's why i switched,the car is good but it cost me to much in parts and time to try and correct that issue.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.Smith
Oh yea I can vouch for that
hey now! LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

I'll say do your research look at results and look at what others are running if you must have one of these 2 cars I will tell you xray baby yeah check winternats results tell me what cars are being driven

Last edited by SOLOARTIST 702; 02-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.