Wiki Posts
Search

Need help choosing a buggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Need help choosing a buggy

Hey everyone. I'm new here, finally glad I found a decent R/C car forum that is active!

Here's my question. I'm looking to get back into racing, having raced an AE RC-10T Team Truck back in the day when I was younger. I'm looking to go buggy racing and want an RTR due to financial reasons. The only two race quality buggies I see are the AE RC10B4 SE and the Duratrax Evader BX Pro. Both are about the same price, but having never driven or seen either, I'm not sure which to choose. I plan on racing in the stock class with this.

Also a question on batteries. Being that it's been years since I last raced (2000MAH batts were hot stuff back then!), can someone reccomend a good battery pack for me to run? I don't want to spend more than $30 on a pack.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Best thing about Duratrax kits is they come with a 1 year stress tech warranty which no other manufacture does. The B4 would have a more better aftermarket support since it is the more popular choice and especially for racers.

Cheers
Old 12-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

TRY BOB COLEMEN, HE HAS FAT JUICE BATTERYIES, I HAVE 4-BATTERIES AND THEY
ARE GOOD FOR THE PRICE

[email protected]
Old 12-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

For cheap GP3330s (they are the shizz nowadays) go to www.maxamps.com they are only $27.00 each and for a buggy get the B4! i have a Duratrax Evader BX and i wish so badly that i had a B4 instead because they are true top competitive buggys..the Durartax Evader BX is more for the beginner
Old 12-25-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Doesn't TeamLosi make a RTR XXX?........Not sure, Jim
Old 12-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Nope. Just the truck, gas truck, and XXX-S.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Ahhhhh, trying to see what it wouldn't be on the list.......Good reason.

CTRJ, if you aren't into biulding the kit, i'll help you out if you like. I have actually helped biuld kits for a bunch of area kids(and dads) who didn't want to biuld them, or couldn't. If it's the RTR price vs. the Race Kit price, look over the specs very carefully before making a decision!..........................Good luck either way, Jim
Old 12-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

It's not that I don't want to build, heck, that's half the fun! It's just that if you price out a kit, radio, esc, motor, ect, you're looking at over $500. An RTR is half that plus some battery packs. I'm still debating on what to buy...
Old 12-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Ya, I guess you could go a little overboard pretty easy. I would try E bay or something similar to find good used equipment, like a radio, etc. I sold the futaba made radio, with servos and reciever, etc from my Stadium Pro for $19.95 on E bay. The good XXX BK2 kits I like are $225 new, i've seen the BK1 almost new on E bay for $125.00. a good speedo is $130 new, $70 or $80 or so on the auction sites....Radios too....................You may be able to get a near new setup complete for around $250-300 or so if you make some finds!.............Jim
Old 12-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

I'm 18hrs away from winning a Losi XXT CR Graphite Plus for $36 on ebay. If I win it, I'll be here looking for help because Losi to me is like a Ford to a Chevy guy.

Last edited by CTRJ; 12-26-2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I see you are in CT. How close are you to say Wolcott or Enfield?

I used to race at Wolcott Hobbies. Track there is HUGE and Lester is a great track owner. He will stock what you need no problem and stands behind the stuff he stocks.

That said, if you are getting back into racing with a buggy, make sure that they place you run preps the track good for racing buggy. At the Wolcott hobbies track, since they ran alot of 1/8 scale, the track would take a beating and it was hard for us buggy drivers to hook up good. Some guys wouldn't even run there buggies.

With the room he has however, he could easily do a seperate 1/10 scale buggy track. he is such a great guy and friend to racers that I wouldn't be suprised he did something like that.

Back to your question, I would get the RC10B4 over the duratrax BX. The duratrax looks closely related to the older technology Losi XX IMHO. I have seen it go and it isn't a bad buggy, but, if you want to have the latest and greatest out there, better go with an AE B4 or Losi BK2 .