Wiki Posts
Search

Personnel Transponders

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Default Personnel Transponders

Hi

AMB personnel transponders are like $100.00 now!!! Does anybody know of another brand that will work with the system or is anybody copying them! Come on guys If you can copy the Kyosho Evolva and sell it for half price then you can make a killing here!

Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: Personnel Transponders

Originally posted by ziggy12345
Hi

AMB personnel transponders are like $100.00 now!!! Does anybody know of another brand that will work with the system or is anybody copying them! Come on guys If you can copy the Kyosho Evolva and sell it for half price then you can make a killing here!

Cheers
ha ha.....yeah right....when the new AMB transponder was out like 1-2 years ago, it was like $56 each, and I have like 3....I can't believe they are like $90 each now...

To answer your question, NO...there are no other choice. and I don't think ppl can actually copy their program and bootleg it for $40 each....it must be something from AMB that they can protected it so good.

Try EBAY, used one are $60....for me, transponder is only a transponder, new one does not make it faster then the used one...but definitely $30 cheaper.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Dont believe it! It will be a simple matter of taking the thing to bits and copying it. It doesnt use 128 bit encryption so no problem!

I predict there will be a copy on the market within 6 months! Whos up for a bet?

Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ziggy12345
Dont believe it! It will be a simple matter of taking the thing to bits and copying it. It doesnt use 128 bit encryption so no problem!

I predict there will be a copy on the market within 6 months! Whos up for a bet?

Cheers
It does make sence.....after a few weeks of Window Xp released, there are plenty of bootleg cracked version of copies around the net....but a simple TRANSPONDER system and no one can crack it...?

However, I am thinking, this transponder thingy is a 2 way setup, since AMB created those little personal thing, they will register those number and activated those personal before they release....now, if you created a bootleg one, with a NEW number that AMB headquarter does not issued...that will not work, and THAT might be the key why there are NONE around the market.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On speedtechrc.com they are at US$ 79.99
Old 12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

If you guys look at the AMB transponder group buy at the FOR SALE thread....someone mentioned AMB will have a 10% price increase after X'mas.....then the AMB will be reaching $90 plus each.

If Speedtech is selling for $80 now....better act fast, the price will go up pretty soon like a live lobster...LOL
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

I bought 3 of them - 2 to use and one to take apart...

here is that one....
Attached Thumbnails Personnel Transponders-amb-ps.jpg  
Old 12-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

other side

some pieces are missing, the board is incased in an epoxy and when I removed the case it also removed a few devices (an SMT LED, an SMT Diode) and damaged a chip - probably a microcontroller that contains the transponder unique ID (all manufacturers markings were removed

- note: there are SMT LEDs on both sides of the transponder, the traces that wrap aound the edge of top & bottom of the board is likely an antenna
Attached Thumbnails Personnel Transponders-amb-xs%5D.jpg  
Old 12-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Dont get me wrong, they are getting expensive, but well worth the money at 90 bucks{ they were cheap 2 years ago} to me to eliminate all the headaches that can happen when not using them{Ex. 1 min left in practice,no transponder back yet from the previos racer.} we all know the hardaches so its just really nice to make your race day that much better for the week-end by having one.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

why don't you ask pieter bervoets at serpent why their so high. One of his relatives started and owns AMB.

History of AMB

About AMB Indentification and Timing

AMB i.t. (Identification and Timing) was founded in The Netherlands, Europe on January 1, 1982. The company was named after its founder Alfonsus (Fons) Maria Bervoets.

In 1981, Mr. Bervoets developed a portable timing computer for model racing cars. Fons' brother, Pieter Bervoets, at the time owned a company named Serpent Racing Cars B.V. who still manufactures model racing cars. Pieter was looking for a secure and accurate timing system to make the racing events with the model cars more professional and attractive to newcomers.

Fons and Frans Hin, friends from college, began working on a prototype of a transponder timing and scoring system for model car racing. Fons and Frans provided Pieter with a prototype which was implemented in a European Championship for model cars in Heemstede, The Netherlands.

After the huge success of the portable timing computer, AMB as a company was founded in 1982. AMB focused on producing a system that would etend the possiblities of the first portable timing computer. In 1983, Fons and Frans developed their first automatic timing and scoring system: the AMB 8300.

The first pre-production timing and scoring system for cars, the AMB 9000, was created in 1987. In 1989, the AMB 9000 system was used in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. AMB gradually began work on timing systems for other motorized and non-motorized sports such as Auto and Motorcycle Racing, Karting, Horse Racing and Bicycle Racing.

In 1996, Fons and Frans decided to step back from managing the company to focus on their common passion again: working with the R&D team to develop the world's most advanced timing and scoring systems. A new management team was introduced with Harry Q. van Dooren as President and CEO of AMB Products. A year later AMB Products changed its name to AMB i.t. (AMB Identification and Timing).

In 1997, AMB introduced the TranX160 and the TranX260 Personal Transponder, a giant step forward in the field of automatic timing and scoring. A Personal Transponder has a unique identification and timing number. When a car or motorcycle passes the finish line, the system identifies the transponder number, combines this with the exact passing time and sends this data to the computer.

In 1998, AMB started Track Timing, a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMB, which is devoted to making software solutions exclusively with AMB hardware. Track Timing's software is being used be CART, IRL, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, AMA, NASCAR and many more.

To further improve the service and support to AMB customers worldwide, AMB started opening offices around the world. In 1998, an office in the U.S. was opened, which moved to a larger building in 2000. To support the Asian market in a more effective and efficient way, AMB opened an Asian office in Hong Kong and an office in Tokyo, Japan in 2001. In Fall 2002, AMB opened an office in Australia.

AMB Europe
Operating hours 08:30-17:00
Central European Time
AMB i.t. B.V.
Herenweg 29A
NL-2105 MB HEEMSTEDE
THE NETHERLANDS
TEL: +31 23 529 1893
FAX: +31 23 529 0156
E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited by Motorman; 12-26-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

I think my AMB personals (3 of those) are the only single RC item that will keep its value (actually, if I want to sell them, I will have profit of like $10 each) after 2 years of its use.......and I think it will keep its value the next several years........

What other RC car, parts or equipment including TOOLS that can do the same as the AMB personal........? I think it is worth $90.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

you got a good point rookie.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

I was an early speculator in the personal transponder market......got in on the IPO when they were just $45.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

MRT have a new transponder compatible with AMB20 systems. They are retailing at the same price roughly though. Unlike the AMB one you set it to match your car number. 1 - 10.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD1V

Found this one on ebay just now.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Hard Jokur
other side

some pieces are missing, the board is incased in an epoxy and when I removed the case it also removed a few devices (an SMT LED, an SMT Diode) and damaged a chip - probably a microcontroller that contains the transponder unique ID (all manufacturers markings were removed

- note: there are SMT LEDs on both sides of the transponder, the traces that wrap aound the edge of top & bottom of the board is likely an antenna
Why did you take it apart ... curiosity or are you just into electronics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.