Wiki Posts
Search

New to Nitro and truggys...I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New to Nitro and truggys...I have a few questions

Hi guys, Ive been racing electric for a long time. I bought a Losi 8IGHT-T 2.0 from a losi team driver. The truggy was rebuilt from the ground up and raced one time before I got it. It has a JP Hellfire engine in it. The guy I got it from gave me a gallon of Nitrotane 30% fuel which I have just about used all of so far (2 A-main wins ). It has an OS P4 glowplug in it.

So heres my questions:

Other than the standard maintenance (outdrives, diffs, bearings, etc...), what kind of clutch/motor maintenance do I need to do?

How long do the clutch shoes last, and what all do I need to replace when that time comes? Which brand? What material? Links would help!

If I buy another brand of fuel (and/or glow plugs) what kind of changes should I expect? What brand should I go with?

Do I need to balance truggy tires/wheels?

Is there a website (or somewhere on this site) that is a good guide for tuning motors? This one runs like a raped ape so far but I need to know what to do when the time comes (I flew planes for about 20 years so I'm fairly familiar with nitro but only when they are attached to a prop!).

Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

ok to start tire balancing on truggy will take alot of stress off your drivetrain since there will be lil vibration. fuel you can change fuel but expect to either richen or lean your needles. different fuels use different oil packages. glow plugs pretty much os p4 and p3 and you'll be set. on clutch shoes i would check them half way thru the race day and usually clutch shoes last somewhere between 2-3 gals of fuel. bearings in the clutch bell i change after every race day sometimes twice. wear on other parts just use good judgement on slop in the arms, camber links,etc. wear in the diff cups if they get too bad will mess with the performance as there will binding, and play. i could go on, on, on but this is a start. you will learn as you go. just have fun
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

also for tuning help there is a guide on the top of the nitro engine forum that will help you out