Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals >

2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals

2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals

Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Todd, very well put.

Honestly, it left such a bad taste in my mouth that the race had to come down to what it was. Not because of my personal results, but because in my mind they both sort of "won".

The most important thing, however was that the biggest winner was the F1 class in general. While not the biggest class, the cars definitely belonged on the carpet.

The McKune cars were great, and Kody showcased this in the highest fashion. He was able to match the fastest solid axle cars, with no ifs ands or buts...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by al dente
where did you find video?
http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g

Kody had the inside line and was staying tight ( not drifting out ) the "leader" had blown the corner and came down into Kody trying to shut the door too late which caused the cars to collide. No fault of Kody.

As far as the first pass, Kody let him back by. This is the norm when a person tries to pass and and drives through a car by initiating the contact. The corner "wasn't his". So he waited and pulled in behind. On the second attempt Kody was successful, "the corner was his" because he "took the corner" by staying tight. The leader came down on Kody attempting to shut the door because he blew wide. The video shows this.
If there was an infraction on the first pass , an infraction should have been on the second pass however this tine on the leader for initiating the contact. Effectively this would have cancelled out both incidences.
The car that came across the line first should have won.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was marshaling right where the f1 incedent took place and Kody had the inside line after a tap from Tony . It was a clean pass and Tony tried to shut the door so Kody uad no choice but to get into him. I told a roar official i saw the pass and was ignored. I dont know either Tony or Kody so im not standing up for anyone ,jusy telling what i saw.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

For whatever it's worth here's what I observed from my Crow's Nest camera angle during the F1 A-Main race. Tony qualified in #2 position and Kody in #3 position. Christian Tabush was TQ and had the pole position. On the 1st turn of the third lap Christian tapped the inside board of the sweeper and Tony took the lead. It looks like Kody had a traction roll in the sweeper and fell back to 5th position. For the next 35 consecutive laps Tony stayed in the lead. Meanwhile after 30 laps in the race Kody slowly made his way back up to 2nd. For the next 6 consecutive laps Kody was breathing the fumes from Tony's tail pipe (as if this was a Nitro F1 race). Then the inevitable happened when on lap #38 (00:09:18 in the YouTube video) Kody's front wing climbed up and over Tony's left rear tire which made Tony's car do a somersault roll and end up facing the opposite direction of traffic. This happened on the 6th from last turn. Kody did slow down and wait for Tony to pass by. Then, less than 1 second later, just before the last turn (00:09:19 in the YouTube video) Kody's car once again drove up and over Tony's right rear wheel and caused Tony to scrape against the right wall. This time, however, Kody did not slow down and wait for Tony to pass. Instead Kody stayed in the lead for the remainder of lap #39 and crossed the finish line first. It's all captured in this video --> http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g.

No matter how any decisions were made, this race was 100% Awesome!!! I believe in the final decision that Tony was the winner based on keeping the lead position for over 86% of the race. Kody only had the lead for 2% of the race. We can always speculate what might have happened if the race went on for another 10 seconds, but I don't think I could have handled the stress of watching it all go down.

I want to thank Tony Phalen, Christian Tabush, Kody, Mike Kennedy, and all of the other F1 drivers who put on a great show for all of us here in Dallas, Texas. I hope to see you guys at another F1 race soon.

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One word ...Triple A Mains
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wcalaker
One word ...Triple A Mains
Umm, actually that's three words.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

I will agree with some of the others.... and also add (observing from the drivers stand since I blew out on lap one I was completely locked in on the whole battle) that for the 4 or so laps while Kody was up in Tony's Kitchen he was an absolute gentlemen driver sticking his nose in at every opportunity and NOT HACKING Tony out. Then he did get a good launch up the infield straight with tony just a tad wide from all of his previous laps and did come up the back of Tony's Car but we all see what he IMEDIATLEY Did he waited...

But after giving the spot back it is Clear as day on the video that Tony Tapped on the corner entering the Chicane, opened a spot up, Kody with a nice tight line went for the spot (as any racer would) only to have Tony close back down and tangled with Kody.... sorry that’s the way it happened and Many, Many in the room saw it and had the same opinion.... quite a shame for Kody.

At any result it was an incredible race and a work of art with one skilled driver and killer F-1 car to be able to hunt him back down after a rough start being nearly a half a lap back...

Needless to say you will see some of the N.W. team heading south to a UF1 race soon for a rematch... Congrats to Tony and Kody for putting on one hell of a show
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure the 2% of the time he led the race means anything. Its who crosses the line first. So if the Celtics are beating the Lakers the whole game and Kobe makes the last shot to win the game does it matter that they were only ahead for 1% of the game time? No.

Just curious but i thought in some races if you bump or hit someone they usually put you in a designated area to stop for a second or two?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wcalaker
Not sure the 2% of the time he led the race means anything. Its who crosses the line first. So if the Celtics are beating the Lakers the whole game and Kobe makes the last shot to win the game does it matter that they were only ahead for 1% of the game time? No.

Just curious but i thought in some races if you bump or hit someone they usually put you in a designated area to stop for a second or two?
You are right. Just like in a basketball game the race is all about who crosses the line first. The ROAR RMT did say in our driver's meeting that if you bump somebody else on the track, and get called on it, you will get a "Stop and Go" penalty. They even pointed out the corner of the carpet where you had to stop your car. However in this particular event, the RMT did not call Kody on either one of those bump incidents. The lead RM, Bob, talked to Kody and Tony individually immediately after the race. Then Bob reviewed the video frame-by-frame from the ginormous LiveRC.com camera to see exactly what went down. Afterwards Bob spoke to Tony and Kody together and explained his final decision. I took a pic of the 3 of them together.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
I was marshaling right where the f1 incedent took place and Kody had the inside line after a tap from Tony . It was a clean pass and Tony tried to shut the door so Kody uad no choice but to get into him. I told a roar official i saw the pass and was ignored. I dont know either Tony or Kody so im not standing up for anyone ,jusy telling what i saw.
Agreed....That's what happen when the leader tried to close the door. I call it good races period..

Last edited by OVA; 03-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was lined up directly to the left of the drivers stand, waiting for the 12th scale B-main while the F1 A-main was taking place. I was standing directly behind and to the left of the pole behind turn marshal cone #4.

What I saw was an aggressive, but relatively normal, racing move from the silver car. He saw the black car tap, there was a small gap... and he went for it. From my vantage point, there was enough room to make the pass. It was too close to call what happened next. I can't honestly say I saw the black car close the door... but I didn't see the silver car do anything but hold his line (the inside line), either.

If this was any other class, this would be a non issue... as it would have just been side-to-side contact, and the corner would probably have been awarded to the silver car.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Thanks goes out to everbody that made the 2012 Roar Carpet Nats at Mike's Hobby shop a great one. We saw lots and lots of close races, great job everybody! Thanks again! See everybody next fall.

Janet
Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Or how about when Max Blew out flipped over the board and didnt lose any time. Then passed Chicky for the lead and the win? I saw questionable calls at the Asphalt nats at Jackson on the part of Roar in many aspects and I see it has continued at this race.

I don't blame Max for this because I would of done the same thing but maybe roar should of made him wait a split second before tucking in right where he was before he hit the wall and sent his car flying into the next lane??
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

No matter which side of the fence you're on about the outcome...

That is the first time I have ever seen a win taken away after the fact, and that is puzzling to say the least

Gratz to both Tony and Kody, great race
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This being my 5th ROAR nats, it was easily the best one. Having been to many nats that completely sucked, im glad I came to this one. ROAR is certainly trying to make the race better for everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.