Age and competitiveness in RC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Age and competitiveness in RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 AM
Tech Elite

This showed up to be an interesting thread ! Many good inputs.

And John Bull, your input is wisel and also entertaining to read.

Age-wise, I'm probably just around mid-range, since I'm 39 - but I'm working on an increase

About vision: A year ago, I had to admit I needed glasses. When I finally got them, it showed up I should have bought them way sooner

Thing is, I had problems with estimating distances and sometimes also speed. After I got the glasses, I chrashed less. It feels something like when Neo stops the bullets in Matrix: I now have more time, because I know much sooner if I can overtake or not. Thus my overview is improved a lot.

To be more excat: The eye-doctor measured, that when I'm using my glasses, I got better vision, than average people.

As others have said, a lot of factors plays a role, when determining if age plays a role or not. Engagement and commitment, competitive-nature or not, talent, and especially, the ability to focus and concentrate during a race.

At some point our bodies starte to degenerate, like it or not. For some it happens faster, than for others. Personally, I believe that the personal attitude helps a lot - if your're a negative person, well, things often will be negative. But if you manag to stay happy and optimistic, chances are great that you'll stay fresh longer. I believe that being young in mind and have the ability to play and have fun, will improve chances to stay fresh. So probably RC in itself, can help staying fresh.

That said, experience plays a big role. But age aint the same as experience, though age can help a lot. Some people just dont learn as fast, and some is simply not open minded enough to keep learning. We have two persons in our club, which is close to the pension - one simply dont get much better, while the other keep on improving. Sligthly slow, but very steady. With these two, it's a matter of attitude and the ability to be open minded. Maybe talent to some degree, but none of these two seems to be gifted with a great talent.

Personally, I'm on a very limited time budget. The last year, I've been at the track once, maybe twice a month (average). Granted, I'm not number one, but I still on the top 5. The competition is getting thougher in our club, so I'll have to be smarter; That's primarily in researching and preparation. Focusing: What's my biggest limit right now (next to too little practise). Be very analytic and aiming directly for my weakest point. Solve it. Next weakness....

And the mind game is very important too. Setting the mind up and believe in one can actually beat this certain guy...

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 12-17-2004 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by johnbull
Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

I've just read through these interesting 2 pages and thought that perhaps my views as a young 58 year old may be of interest.

Yet despite his lack of practice, he is always at least a second a lap quicker than I am, and makes far less unforced errors than I do.

I get my pension in 3 years time and will celebrate that by buying myself a new RC car.
Johnbull,

Your story is almost the same as mine, except I turned 59 this week! And yes only three more years of work.

That darn kid of mine can always go faster than me, now I use him to see how good my handles. I used to be a big help to him but that has turned around, now he is a big help to me. Pretty nice to see the money and time we have spent paying off!

Anyway, the age thing does matter, the example of looking at the Masters classes is interesting but that class starts at 35, hell that was 25 years ago!!!!!!!!

This is a fun thread hearing both sides of the age story.

Ted
Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Yes Ted, we do seem to have our similarities, apart from our age !

Son Josh started in RC twelve years ago when he was 9 years old. I built his first car - a Tamiya, what else, and prepped it for him.

I still build, prepare and sometimes test his cars, and enjoy every bit of it. In turn he gives satisfying results - 6 National championships and well on his way to another this year. He's had 4 of those National championships with a TC3 I prepare, so I feel I have my part in the success.

I'm also president and general dogs body for our club. I do all the organising and rarely get thanked, but that's normal. In between running meetings and listening to everybody's complaints I do a bit of racing myself too, with a Yoke CGM.

We have our Christmas meeting this weekend. Let's hope the weather holds. It's difficult enough for me in the dry!!!!!!!

But we do have fun, and occasionally we kick some kids ass. And that's double value.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You all know what the "zone" is.....well, at one time or another, we've all been there while racing. However, when you wreck, you loose your grasp on the zone....the when the marshall flips you over, you're scrambeling to find the zone and lost time which leads to more wrecks....

The best drivers are the ones who can stay in the zone deeper and longer, and hold on to it even when they wreck. Practice won't give you that gift....that's patience. I tought myself to calm down and I got a whole lot faster.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

I'm just about to turn 35 and refusing to admit I need glasses.... Being a Highway cop, it was my job to be able to estimate distance and speed.... Ever since a car accident in 2000 I'm no longer the same person.... When I raced as a teen (rc10 years) I rarely ever finished outside the top 3 in the A main.... Now I'm just happy to finish.... But due to age or injury our bodies don't work as well as they used to.... I figure within the next 2-3 years, my 5 year old son is going to be kicking my butt.... He's got youth on me and his reflexes are much better.... Granted carpet on road is very new to me, but I still know how to set up a car better than most....
Old 12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
I'm just about to turn 35 and refusing to admit I need glasses....
I know that feeling But today, I wish I had admitted it earlier !

Have you seen Matrix?

In real cars and on real roads: When I should turn left in a road cross, I very often was in doubt if I could drive safely, before the car in the opposite direction would hit me. So I waited till I was sure. With glasses, I can estimate it without a doubt way faster. This really give me the feeling like when Neo stops the bullets. I have a lot more time than before.

Or see it as a hop-op for your RC car You can even get them in a colour that matches your car This way, it's not because YOU need glasses, it's just part of your RC equipment

My son is 6. If he get into RC, I dont doubt he'll beat me some day. But thats the way thing is, it's only a matter of time before he can run, bicycling etc. faster than me. I'm on my way down, he's on his way up. Circle of life. But I'll have fun and enjoy the process. And I'll do my very best to beat him and challenge him, as long as I can. That'll learn him more. And make it more fun.

I also hope he'll get involved in RC. Could be fun. And maybe we can be a great team. I would really enjoy that. Being a team is the most important to me. And if we can make it as far as John Bull, it would be a bonus to me.

John Bull and Bobby Flack, you guys are lucky, from my point of view.

Best whishes for all of you.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I know that feeling But today, I wish I had admitted it earlier !

Have you seen Matrix?

In real cars and on real roads: When I should turn left in a road cross, I very often was in doubt if I could drive safely, before the car in the opposite direction would hit me. So I waited till I was sure. With glasses, I can estimate it without a doubt way faster. This really give me the feeling like when Neo stops the bullets. I have a lot more time than before.

Or see it as a hop-op for your RC car You can even get them in a colour that matches your car This way, it's not because YOU need glasses, it's just part of your RC equipment

My son is 6. If he get into RC, I dont doubt he'll beat me some day. But thats the way thing is, it's only a matter of time before he can run, bicycling etc. faster than me. I'm on my way down, he's on his way up. Circle of life. But I'll have fun and enjoy the process. And I'll do my very best to beat him and challenge him, as long as I can. That'll learn him more. And make it more fun.

I also hope he'll get involved in RC. Could be fun. And maybe we can be a great team. I would really enjoy that. Being a team is the most important to me. And if we can make it as far as John Bull, it would be a bonus to me.

John Bull and Bobby Flack, you guys are lucky, from my point of view.

Best whishes for all of you.

You haven't started him yet??? My son was 3 his first time on a track... I gave him my RPM'd chassis 10T (indestructable) and set him loose.... I let him run 2 batteries in my TC3 when I take him to the track with me now, I turn the throttle down of course.... He does well with his micro and his E Maxx and it'll be a matter of time....
Old 12-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

I know someone who is about 50 and he drives very good... He drives in the european sub-top and in the a-mains in germany where competition level is pretty high.....
Old 12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

As a racer who started in his mid 20's(and that was 20 years ago)I had made the A's at the nats. won a few big races,So I would say I was at least fast once in my RC racing career.. I had quit racing in the mid 90's(just burnt out on racing)I started racing again in 2001 and on the local level I can still make the A's,I have been to a few "big" races and can still make the A's(cant do anything once I'm their.. )I'm not even close to the skill level I once was at but I feel that has more to do with the lack of practice than age..even though my eye sight is not what it used to be.. But what is fun is looking at the young guy's reaction's when they just got beat by some "old guy"..
Old 12-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

everyone who dislikes glasses get contacts! they are sweet
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

i useta race with a 60 year old guy.......he was an exeptional driver and beats a lota people.......he is retired now
Old 12-18-2004, 04:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Been racing about 15yrs, I'm 50 now. Never got real fast but have good races in the 'B & C' mains in our club.
I have a great time racing with my brother who is in is early 30s.
Besides when you live in Cleveland I would rather race my r/c car than watch the CLEVELAND BROWNS on a sunday.

Dan Medved
Old 12-18-2004, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Two things that one usually gains when he gets older are patience and discipline. Being fast does not automatically grant you a win in RC car racing. Consistency, patience and discipline will grant you more success. Young guys usually lack patience and discipline, have more self ego, bad tamper when situation works against them (they could be fast, but they just could not wait to pass or block all cars at any cost, result => crash, when something goes abit against him, drive irrationally).
Old 12-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JBennett
I'm 13 and I race people nowhere near my age and I beat them.

Age doesn't really matter, just your knowledge and experience on the hobby.
Same here i'm 13 and i beat people who have been racing for ages, but not all of em

Chazz
Old 12-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ted Flack:

Hi,

You should try to do what I did for my glasses. I took my eye doctor to the track so he could see what we're doing. not so much for myself but for Jason. we found out the contacts were the way to go with Jason and he changed my script also. I don't race as often as you but I do wheel Jason's Xray around. as we are close in age I know how you feel.
watching Bobby race was great at Cleveland this year. I agree about the lighting in the ballroom even Jason was conplaining about it (hense the all white body). hope to see the both of you soon at the track.

John Bull:

Hi,

I saw a pic of your son on a different site standing in front of a first gen Mini he had won the race but I couldn't read anything about it as it wasn't in english. any way it was good to see who he was. now I just have to find a pic of you!!!!!!

Cole Trickle:

Hi,

get you son out there and get him running something even if it's just around your driveway. I wish I would of started my son earlier.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.