Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So who "isn't" sponsored?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default So who "isn't" sponsored?

Now I could be wrong but it seems to me that every man and his dog seems to be sponsored judging by the signatures of a lot of people on the forum. Call me cynical but is this just another marketing ploy?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I'm not sponsored! (Nor do I wish to be.)
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Tech Regular

I'm not interested in being sponsored either and frankly I'm a bit crap at driving so it's a moot point. Just curious though, out of all those who state their sponsor details in their signature, how many are just getting a bit of a discount from their lhs?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Not me, wish I could save some pennies with a slight sponsorship and represent the brand of my liking. ROCCK is a GREAT club that I belong to... not a sponsor.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

For some folks, perhaps they just want to promote their local hobby shop, so they put the name in their sig. For others, sponsorship is as much about brand ambassadorship, as it is driving.

There is typically a multi-tier sponsorship arrangement. The "fast guys" are the ones with full factory sponsors. They generally don't have to pay for their equipment, and may even be paid to race (think Drake, Lutz, etc...)

The "B-Team" is usually the local /regional fast, or above average guys, with a lower level of sponsorship (25-75%). We pay for all of our stuff, but get a discount as part of the deal. Our responsibilities are to promote the brand, provide product information to racers, answer questions, get visibility at the local / regional level, provide feedback to our sponsors regarding how the product is being used, etc... Basically, our job is to support the efforts of the "A-Team" guys, since they can't be everywhere at once.

So, to answer your question, judging a person's sponsorship by isn't always accurate. Mine, for example, lists ToyTown Hobby shop. I'm not sponsored by them, but I still like to advertise their name. Mainly because I want to support my local shop, and the owners are friends of mine.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm not. I just wanted to look cool by listing my rides...
Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I'm not sponsored either!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM
I'm not. I just wanted to look cool by listing my rides...
ahahah
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

My own wallet doesn't count, especially as it sometimes is sporting cobwebs...

I list the products that I use that I am really happy with and will purchase again. The cars are listed sort of as a reference for when I'm talking about issues, setups, and mods.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'm not but my Son is and I get all his hand me downs
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoGod
I'm not sponsored either!
Hey TT is a sponsor.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Hey TT is a sponsor.
Since when?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

I run TLR products....... Thats all my sig say. And that goes for probably 95% of the people on this site.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would not say that Team Terribles is a sponsor, as we let anyone join the team as long as they race. We do offer team members better pricing on products and our team sponsors offer up to 30% off but I would just consider those perks of the team and not sponsorships. IMO actual vendor sponsorships have to earned in one way or another. Sometimes it's earned by just being a good spokesman and an ambassador for the hobby and other times it's because you are fast and the vendors want you to win with their products to help sell them. What really bothers me is the people who are too cheap to use anything they can't get a deal on. It's really annoying that someone can try a product and love it but won't buy it again unless they can get a "sponsorship" from that company. Give me a break! Take up needle point if you want a cheap hobby
Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would not say that Team Terribles is a sponsor, as we let anyone join the team as long as they race. We do offer team members better pricing on products and our team sponsors offer up to 30% off but I would just consider those perks of the team and not sponsorships. IMO actual vendor sponsorships have to earned in one way or another. Sometimes it's earned by just being a good spokesman and an ambassador for the hobby and other times it's because you are fast and the vendors want you to win with their products to help sell them. What really bothers me is the people who are too cheap to use anything they can't get a deal on. It's really annoying that someone can try a product and love it but won't buy it again unless they can get a "sponsorship" from that company. Give me a break! Take up needle point if you want a cheap hobby

Agree 100%...in the end the money has to come from somewhere..... the more sponsored drivers a company carries, the more money they need to charge for their product in order to carry the expense of the sponsored guys.......In the end it is a viscous circle.... Myself i want guys to run my engines because they love the engines, not because I was willing to give them out at cost.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.