Wiki Posts
Search

Charger Help....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Charger Help....

A couple things I need help with here.....Im about to start racing 12th scale, which is my first electric. I have a Duratrax Deluxe Pluse charger, which has worked great on my nitro car receiver batteries, but I dont know how good it is for charging top of the line 3300 packs and what not. What charger would yall recommend that has a digital display, charge, discharge, and cycle functions, but doesnt cost a load of $$$.....?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

How about Reedy Pulsar2 pro? assuming you have a DC power supply? Discharges only at 10amps, but if you run till your pack dumps, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

The 2 that I would look at are the LRP Pro 2 and the newest version of the Competition Electronics Pit Bill.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

I run the Pulsar2 competition and couldn't be happier. It needs a 12 volt power source so I chose to get the Duracom power supply. A bit pricey but well worth the money spent.

What battery packs are you planning to use?. I use the Fusion 1.18 4 cell saddlepacks. I couldn't be happier with them. Great power, doesn't dump early in the 8 min heats/mains. I still have lots of pull by minute #6.

If you're concerned about the discharge rate, just run car till it dumps on you or get a dishcarge bulbset or get a smart tray. You don't have to "baby sit" the smart tray and it can be set to where it will cut off from .9 and lower. All the redlights go off, and you're set.

If you are planning to race it a bit competative, I would suggest running at least 3 dedicated heat packs and have at least 2 practice packs. That way while you're in the pits, you can concentrate on resoldering your new packs in and make other adjustments and before youknow it your packs are discharged and ready to charge, after cooling of course.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll second or third for the LRP Pulsar Competition 2. It has everything you need, charging,discharging,motorun, 3 profiles, settings, matching. Its probably the best bang for your buck.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Charger Help....

Originally posted by RCNitroDude999
A couple things I need help with here.....Im about to start racing 12th scale, which is my first electric. I have a Duratrax Deluxe Pluse charger, which has worked great on my nitro car receiver batteries, but I dont know how good it is for charging top of the line 3300 packs and what not. What charger would yall recommend that has a digital display, charge, discharge, and cycle functions, but doesnt cost a load of $$$.....?
Actually your charger is reasonably. Biggest problem is, that you cant disable the trickle charge, which is bad for NiMh. But if you remember to disconnect the charger, when it's finished.... Personally, I forget such things, but it's an option.

Another thing to consider, is that the cells might not be warm enough, meaning less punch. But that highly depend on ambient temperature AND your own temper.