Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Who has helped you the most with your on road racing? >

Who has helped you the most with your on road racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has helped you the most with your on road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
Great thread!

First off, this thread is a great idea, how often do we have time to talk about who made this better for us, as individuals to race toy cars. This is by far one of the best topics on this site.

Personaly, I have a huge list of people to thank over the years but I will do my best to keep it under the 2 minuite minimum. (music begins to play)

First and far most, everyone, and anyone who over the years started, and kept the "Gate" running. Aaron Buran, Jim Herrman, Ray Whoo-Hung!, The Medveds, Kelly Bean, The Adam's, Eric Jones, Tony Williams, Chuck Mackin, Gerbers and on and on... With out them, well, no track no legendary raceway.

Brad Johnson- great lap dances

Chicky/Parma- Chicky for setting the local talent bar so high, and Parma for all the tires and bodies over time!

John Peoples- All around hero, great guy!

Todd Hodge/Losi- Gave me a shot

Seaball- Well, he just about does everything I can't, fixed cars, designed cars, gave me cars to run when I did not have one. Basicly, the only guy in the hobby that thought, "Wise, yea he can do this, he just needs some help." Help is an understatement. He personaly has taken my race program over at times to keep me "in the game" He is willing to help with anything I need done if I do not have the time. Basicly he is the largest reason that I am at all able to do this hobby/sport at all. Alston said it best when he talked about him and James becoming friends. That is one of the great parts about this sport, there are some great people to meet and lifelong friends to make.

With that being said, now back to our usual banter-

SEABALL, YOUR GOING DOWN AT THE CHAMPS!!!!!
Thank you, and yes my thoughts exactly +1,000

Never forget what made you the racer you are now.

It is hard to believe that we did not all have the luxury of a tyre truer, or a comm lathe... But there were guys at the track that would let you use their equipment or fix up your rig time and time again

Some still do... And then we have the nerve to beat them!

True story. I won the A main using a superglued hub one race meeting...

I still have the said hub in my pit box too

(I'm happy to say that the superglue was mine... or I would have LOL'd more when I got off the drivers rostrum....)

Superglue anyone? Turns bad skills into a race winner, buy now, limited supply!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

My dad at 7 years old i didnt know much but he taught me a lot about set up and driving without him i would not be racing today
Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

One man

Tommy Vu Tong
Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
SEABALL, YOUR GOING DOWN AT THE CHAMPS!!!!!

What else is new?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My Hero:

John Lee who ran Queens Off Roaders NYC back in the early 1990s.

He didn't laugh when I showed up with a Traxxas Bullet !!

The man is now a Major Duomo at Sweep USA

Thanks John

Jacko
Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Great thread...

As with everyone there are usually way too many people that deserve to be recognized.

We had a group of people that raced togther that we all kind of learned togther ( some more then others)... But a group of the "More Seasoned" guys really helped out to give us new guys some direction.

Mike "Butter" Abraira - ALWAYS the life of the party, but so much wisdom to help us go faster. He ,Alex and Vera would stay up all night with the Dyno... finding the right combo of Brush/cut/spring... That turbo dyno was WORN OUT...
Dave Vera - The fastest club racer on the planet... Dave always had time for me on my 12th scale.
Dave Bowser - You could count on Dave to validate your setup... If he came over to look at your car... SOMETHING was right.. He has that patented shock tower push...
Alex Lopez - Always good for support and talking shit.
Ferman Walker - This guy has so much drive to make the car as fast as it can be, to the point of re-engineering an entire car ( Like Seaball ).
Bob Husted - always willing to give you the shirt off his back.
Adrian Martinez - Thanks for giving me my first ride @ Schumacher USA.
Jason Breiner - He has helped me with my 12th scale more then I can express.
EA - making me feel like part of the team. Always good for some laughs when He and Butter start going...
Dawn Sanchez - She was responsible for getting me involved with the On Road committee, and I really helped me with a different perspective.

For a good 5 years we had a group of guys from Fla that flew to most of the big races. Even if I did not go, they came home with new info... and helped us all go faster... State Race wins were a serious accomplishment with these guys around.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not that I'm any good yet, but Desmond Tang and Brad Saluk have both showed me the ropes and got me started into this money pit we call racing. They've both shown a lot of patience and have been willing to answer any questions I've had... Thanks Guys!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Great Thread!

I'd have to say the biggest help to me has come from the folk running the club at Eastbourne. When I first started racing, I turned up with a car that was rolling at every corner and generally misbehaving. If it wasn't for Stuart Colby stepping in and sorting the car out, I probably would have given up long ago. And I'd best not forget Darren Simpson and Glen Relf, whose friendly demeanor helped me feel welcome and part of the club, one of the reasons the club is as successful as it is.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

My girlfriend has helped me the most... how you may ask? BY STAYING OUT OF MY WAY WHEN I GOT ON RC CAR SPENDING SPREES!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

When I first started racing 1/12th (13 years old at the time), there was a few of the lads that went to my local club (Plymouth Model Car Club in the UK) that were always helpful. They handed down motors, batteries and gave general help and advice. Now, 25 years on, I have just got home from going to that same club, and the same people are still racing there and still just as friendly as they were all those years ago! So, although there are many people that I could mention, I think the best thing to do is to pass on that help and advice to anyone that asks for it when we travel to a new track, or if new people travel to ours! So that's what I do, because just as we are now looking back at the people that helped us out 'back in the day', would n't it be nice if in 25 years time, someone, somewhere post a thread on a forum saying that they appreciated all the help they got from us 'back in 2011'!!

Cheers lads!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

I race at Horsham club it offers a good welcome to anyone who races there - with a good variety of classes.

I raced there as a teenager and have many good times racing there and then gave up racing - but came back and made the mistake of racing at the wrong club.

Glad I found my feet though and things have not changed, and I still pit next to some of the same faces that I raced with as a teenager as if I had never left the club!

The problem with some clubs is the weather. It, (along with its members) can make people run away from racing quicker than they started it...

Driving past an outdoor track whilst its raining to then arrive at a carpet track makes me smile for some reason.... Umbrella anyone?

I could race in the wet, but why bother when indoor racing yealds better racing with grip and more experience?

No run off areas to catch you when you run wide like outdoor tracks - just pure racing with accurate racing lines is what I like Some people prefer to save the cost of replacement hubs and steering arms I guess
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

KC redkey
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Bill Canaday helped me out a lot when I was a teenager.
My dad although we didn't always get along was my biggest supporter. He also designed the magnet zapper that paid for most of my racing for several years.
Skip, Piersol, Keith Mason, Mercer, and that whole crew always keeping secrets after they beat me with equalizer's and I was running a 19 turn LOL They forced me to realize setup was more important than a fast motor.
Mo Denton and Chicky for helping me in 12th scale over the years.

More recently Frank at CRC and Josh Cyrul for helping me get from the B and C mains to the A mains.
EA always gave me good competition to push me faster. i.e. who could cheat up a motor at the knoxville track and not melt down in 5 minutes LOL

The last one I hate to even post, but I'm going to anyways. DIRLA. I've raced and traveled with him 15 years now. He gets on my absolute last nerve at least 2 or 3 times every trip, but I've only left him at a race once LOL (I made sure someone else could take him home...) For all the bad, I couldn't have gone to all the races and had so much fun without him.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Tempest2000;
Skip, Piersol, Mercer,Bill and that whole crew always keeping secrets after they beat me with equalizer's and I was running a 19 turn LOL They forced me to realize setup was more important than a fast motor.
EA always gave me good competition to push me faster. i.e. who could cheat up a motor at the knoxville track and not melt down in 5 minutes LOL
The last one I hate to even post, but I'm going to anyways. DIRLA. I've raced and traveled with him 15 years now. He gets on my absolute last nerve at least 2 or 3 times every trip, but I've only left him at a race once LOL (I made sure someone else could take him home...) For all the bad, I couldn't have gone to all the races and had so much fun without him.[/QUOTE]

I KNOW all those guys above and man what can I say great group of guys to push us to do better and keep having fun even tho they lap me during most of the races.
I would also like to add Quinton Robbins, Brad Jones,Jason Lutz,Travis Robbinson (he gave me the bug) I will see most these guys this weekend
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Everyone at my track.

About a year ago I came back to racing onroad RC cars after about 10 years off. Technology had changed dramatically, as had the level of facilities available to do said racing. My home track has an indoor carpet track, an outdoor asphalt, and an outdoor offroad track. Excellent place!

I’d been in slots for a while, but had still paid attention to what was going on in the onroad world, and done plenty of offroad bashing and informal running up at a local BMX track with some buds. Nothing was really “new” per se, but wow, there was a lot of it. I rapidly went from my old TC3, to a TC5, to a TC6, and now to a pair of Photons, as well as a handful of pan cars.

Along the way, I’ve had darn near everyone at my track help me out in some way or another, sometimes with parts, sometimes with set up, sometimes with helping coaching, and sometimes with an appropriate bark getting me back up to speed and in the mix. I do have to say that NO ONE has turned me away with honest advice that’s actually helped, when I’ve listened and implemented it correctly!

Heck, I’ve been given tires and traction compound, loaned bodies, handed parts, and had my car rebuilt and tuned so many times in the last year I don’t think that there’s anyone who’s in the A Main that hasn’t put a hand on my car or my radio settings for the better.

I note all of the above because it’s a marked change from the last time that I raced onroad, where it was purple and plaid foam tires, a Stratos body, and everyone else kept their black voodoo hidden under lock and key unless you knew the secret handshake and were let into the club.

Don't get me wrong, there's still groups within the group, but by and far it's still one community....at least at my track.

So, for me it’s not any one person, but the entire crew of racers at my track, wether we get along personally or not.

Now a little more than a year later, I’m in a position where I can help foster some of the newer drivers, and share some of what I have with everyone else, wether that be tools or parts.

And at the end of the day, any day at the track is a good day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.