Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber Tire touring car racing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have never seen 10 run tires run as fast as new (1-3 run) tires... on carpet. Unless your talking about the Novak race were you had to glue up the side walls and part of the contact area to prevent traction rolling. But on a average traction carpet track lap times were always 2 tenths faster on fresh rubber. I really hated buying new tires all the time
Old 12-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Addict

i havent tried using foams and have been racing with rubbers ever since. in our place, nobody uses foam. i was just wondering, are foams cheaper? how are they compared to rubber in terms of traction. we race in a concrete race track which we spray with molasses to give it more bite. For me, rubber tires a re a bit expensive....maybe, foam could be a good alternative.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Nexus
speedy and weaponx.

have you guys tried throwing older rubber tires on a tire truer and sanding them lightly?

i did a light sanding of some pretty old CS27s during a day of practicing at RSJ...i did this since i didn't have any other tires that day and wanted to see what would happen.

anyway.....with those old CS27s i was able to match the fastest lap times of the previous nights racing where some guys run CS22s and Sorex 24s.

it's not an exact science or a perfect test...the results could be skewed by carpet traction, driver skill, ect....but i was happy with the results. if anything....it did not make the tires any worse :P
I do almost the same thing to the tires.

After a run/race, i always put it into a tire truer/sander and clean it down with the rough side of a sponge cleaner for dish washing. Whats the name again?

After that, i apply traction compound (Trinity Death Grip or LRP *something*). I don seem to lose traction at all. I use only Sorex 40R with Type C inserts. It usually can last for at least 10 run for race/practice before i convert it into bashing tires.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AdR|aN
Whats the name again?
Scotch brite
Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Speedie
Scotch brite
Yeah. SOmething like that.
Couldnt get the name just now.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

here in brazil we aren't racing with handout tires....

how the tires are marked for these events??

if anybody could post pics of a marked tire I would be grateful
Old 12-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AdR|aN
I use only Sorex 40R with Type C inserts. It usually can last for at least 10 run for race/practice before i convert it into bashing tires.
considering the weather this few weeks ( cloudy ) can 40R provide enough traction?
I'm still using 36R, but if 40R works i think better use it exclusively.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by lee82gx
considering the weather this few weeks ( cloudy ) can 40R provide enough traction?
I'm still using 36R, but if 40R works i think better use it exclusively.
Lee. Just a comparison.

A few guys (close frens) uses only SOrex 40R. It depends on how well you set up the car to compensate the lose of a little traction.
Some other guys uses Sorex36R but still cant have the traction that we have.
With the same setting, if i were to use Sorex36R, it WILL definately overheat after the 2 1/2 minute mark.
Still cant find a logical explanation though.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

I just got myself a couple of 40R's i think will need to adjust style and setting accordingly. Can't wait to hit the tracks again!
Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

foam tires do provide more grip but the tire wears away. you constantly have to change your ride height and droop.

foamies give the same amount of grip all the way through but the have less flex as the diameter decrease.

cost well they are about the same or slightly less to buy foams here depending on the brand and where you get them from
Old 12-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by frozenpod
foam tires do provide more grip but the tire wears away. you constantly have to change your ride height and droop.

foamies give the same amount of grip all the way through but the have less flex as the diameter decrease.

cost well they are about the same or slightly less to buy foams here depending on the brand and where you get them from
Don't forget about buying a $200 tire truer..
Old 12-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

I haven't never brought one I have occasonally used other peoples but they aren't nessarcerry if you car is setup well the tires will wear evenly.

Besides you can get very good second hand ones for about $80
Old 12-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Nah foams will always cone, you have more straights than corners where they lean 100% dont you.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Get the right amount of camber and the tyres will wear even.

Maybe after a couple of race meets with out any truing from new but not that much that it is a big deal
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am a big fan of rubber racing. Usually my tires get demoted when I bend a rim, break a rim or see threads coming through the tire. Usually in my case the threads is the deciding factor. If I bend or break a rim, they get demoted to practice or fun tire. I have not kept track of runs on tires but can guesstimate or boast well over 40 runs locally raced tires. Wouldn't be surprised if it was double. If I goto a important race I will have new tires on hand.

For carpet I have just been playing with a wipe-on compount made by Niftech that works really well. I also like racers choice. I have never bothered with trueing or sanding down rubber tires. Usually I just clean them when I store them away. After cleaning them put in a zip-lock back blow some moisture in the bag and seal with no or as little air. They are good to go the next time out or season. I usually don't clean tires that much for carpet season. If the carpet seems really gummy/dirty then I would clean them after every run. If I raced outdoors I would clean after every run.

The Foamy revolution I am a hold out on. I had enough of that with carpet oval racing in its heyday and it was another reason to goto sedan at that time.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.